The corner flap on the left side was obviously out of adjustment and ended up point-first into the roll bar as the shelf flipped up. Subsequently the shelf didn't rotate to the full upright position. The top caught it as it went into the trunk and bent it. It didn't fold it or anything. It's just not flat anymore.
I dove in and fixed it today and am really happy with the results. There is still a small gap near the center but it's plenty tight for me. I still may be able to straighten that out though.
After doing the repair it became pretty obvious what caused the problem in the first place. The weather stripping on the flap had worked its way forward enough to contact the roll bar and hang up the flap. It would be a good idea to keep an eye on this. You can see the weatherstripping hanging way over the edge of the flap in this pic shot before starting the repair.
First of all, keep in mind that that most of this work is done with the top in several different positions to gain the best access to the various components. The system has an approximate six minute timer where after that it will reactivate. Every three or four minutes I moved the top one way or the other a few inches to reset the timer. I know the switch button will flash before reactivating but I can't remember if there is a beep alarm or not. BE CAREFUL. The safest thing to do is use some kind of prop but it'll take a few different lengths to accommodate the best positions for easy access.
I first disconnected the spring-loaded cable that controls the flap. There are three 8mm headed bolts on each end that attach the shelf to the hinges. Bolts #1
also hold the bracket that allows the front of the roof to flip the shelf down as it settles into the trunk. These need to be taken out first. I couldn't get a ratchet on these because of the bracket. I had to wrench them out with a box end wrench. I then took out bolts #3
with a ratchet and extension and the whole assembly came out.
The left side shelf hinge was bent pretty badly. I'm attaching a right side pic for comparison.
I straightened it out the best I could with a pair of needlenosed vise grips and a pair of regular vice grips. As you can see I protected the roof with a towel in case of a slip, which I do regularly.
Now on to the shelf itself. The first pic is the right hand side showing what the joint should look like. The second is the left side. The hinge was obviously sprung quite a bit. The hinges and cable brackets come off with six screws after the plastic cover is removed. There are two shims on each side that go between the main hinge and the shelf. Don't lose them.
With the flaps and hinges removed I set in on bending the shelf back to flat. It was twisted approximately 1/2". The shelf is cast aluminum and bends fairly easily so I tried to be very gentle with it, tweaking it a little at a time until it looked flat to the eye. Keep in mind that the shelf has a little crown from side to side so don't bend it completely flat. That may be why I still have a little gap in the center between the shelf and the trunk lid.
Next, I did my best to straighten out the bent flap hinge. The vise grips did the job for this also. The first pic is a comparison shot of both hinges showing the bent hinge. The second pic shows the deformed flange on the hinge. I don't think I could have done this without at least one pair of needle nosed vise grips.
The hinge was also sprung pretty badly. Once again the needle nosed vise grips worked great to squeeze it back into shape.
'After' pic of the repaired hinge joint.
Reassembly was pretty much straightforward. Just remember the #3
bolts are the easiest ones to get a ratchet on and aren't holding anything else but the shelf so stab them first. Don't forget the shims. The entire process took about three hours.
Hope this helps someone in the future.