Here is another quick update. I've been having problems with my camera so pictures don't do justice to the progress, but I am nearly done with the subwoofer enclosure. (I will post pictures of it later). It turned out pretty good and I have roughly a half of a cubic foot of space for the woofer (.5 cu ft). For those that have worked with subwoofer installs themselves, this is a good amount of space and almost any 10" or 8" subwoofer will work in this volume, I however am doing something different.
As part of this install, while the car is apart I decided to refinish all of my interior panels. I ordered the Tautflex from Australia and must say it is awesome, finish is spectacular. Prep is a bear however.
I wanted to get a clean surface so stripped all of the old stuff off. Working for only a couple hours a day, and with it being only 50 degrees in my garage (30 outside) it took longer than it probably would have on a sunny 75 degree day.
I also started preparing my cabling. All my wires will be shrouded with wire braid, both to protect and add a more OEM appearance. This is the 4 gauge power cable that will be run from my battery to behind my seats for the amplifiers.
I also started preparing my kick panel pods. If you recall, I will be doing custom door pods to hold my mid-bass drivers, but the midrange and tweeters will be in the kick panels, and will comprise of a 4" and tweeter.
I first had to make some cut outs. I went with a more tear-drop shape so they would better fit in the space needed. I glued the tear-drops to an extra set of OEM kicks I got off of a salvage car and then wrapped it in grill cloth and painted on fiberglass resin
You can see the shapes are taking form. I will need to apply body filler and smooth things out before wrapping with vinyl and installing.
Here are the kick panels during the test fit. The sub enclosure is actually lurking behind the floor as well, but more on that later.
I am hoping to get my camera fixed and share some pictures of the sub enclosure progress. The next big parts of the project once I am finished with the above will be the amp racks, revisiting the original door panel project and a little something special I have in mind to make a motorized windscreen.
More to come