After 4 years in my 250Cdi I have bought the AMG SLC 43 - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

SLC General Discussion SLC 180,200,300,250d,43 AMG

 49Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 09-07-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hugglescote, East Midlands
Vehicle: 2017 AMG SLC43 Designo Cerussite Grey Magno, lots of extras too many to list
Posts: 131
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Red face After 4 years in my 250Cdi I have bought the AMG SLC 43

Well after 4 years of ownership in my AMG 250cdi Sport, I have gone for the AMG SLC 43


I dont know why there are so many negative reviews on this car?


Always trying to compare a Boxster or a Cayman, etc, etc


I have had 12 PORSCHE's in the past.. 964's, 993's, 996's, Boxster S, Cayman S, etc and could faults and positives in all of them!!, and the modern versions don't excite me either!


Each to their own.........



I went for a long test drive in a 2017 model, and collect next Friday; I will post some pictures afterwards !
markuk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 09-07-2018
Col
Premium Member

 
Col's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Nottingham, England, UK
Vehicle: 2012 SLK55 AMG, Indium Grey with Sahara Beige - Formerly 2006 SLK55 AMG (Gone but not forgotten)
Other Toys: BMW 520D Touring, Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel, Trek Fuel EX 9
Posts: 2,318
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Thanks: 407
Thanked 357 Times in 286 Posts
Garage
Look forward to the pics! Enjoy your new car!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not mean... but I am 'roofless' at every opportunity!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



- SmartTOP

- Blacked Out Front Grille

- Chrome Bonnet Fins

- Reverse Camera with Dynamic Guidelines

- Front Camera (Kerb Cam)

- Dash Camera (Hard Wired)

- Gel Resin Number Plates

- Acrylic Wind Deflector

- Ambient Lighting

- Vath X-Pipe and Modified Rear Silencers

- Ispiri ISR6 Alloys Wheels
Col is offline  
#3 Old 09-07-2018
Moderator

 
LeonardoDaBenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Near Toronto, Ontario
Vehicle: 2012 SLK55 AMG "SCHWARZIE"
Other Toys: Magnum RT and an ugly Civic
Posts: 9,832
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Thanks: 349
Thanked 584 Times in 545 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markuk View Post
Well after 4 years of ownership in my AMG 250cdi Sport, I have gone for the AMG SLC 43

I dont know why there are so many negative reviews on this car?

Always trying to compare a Boxster or a Cayman, etc, etc

I have had 12 PORSCHE's in the past.. 964's, 993's, 996's, Boxster S, Cayman S, etc and could faults and positives in all of them!!, and the modern versions don't excite me either!

Each to their own.........

I went for a long test drive in a 2017 model, and collect next Friday; I will post some pictures afterwards !
Well congratulations then

BUT now I must ask: did you trade the 250 (in your profile) or do you now have two cars?

If traded, please delete the 250 and add the 43.

OR if you have two, be sure to add the 43.

Happy driving
jbanks15 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



LEN

(Moderator)

“I can’t give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give
you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”


Herbert Bayard Swope
LeonardoDaBenz is offline  
 
#4 Old 09-07-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hugglescote, East Midlands
Vehicle: 2017 AMG SLC43 Designo Cerussite Grey Magno, lots of extras too many to list
Posts: 131
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardoDaBenz View Post
Well congratulations then

BUT now I must ask: did you trade the 250 (in your profile) or do you now have two cars?

If traded, please delete the 250 and add the 43.

OR if you have two, be sure to add the 43.

Happy driving
Haha I will add the 43 when I collect it next Friday
jbanks15 and LeonardoDaBenz like this.
markuk is offline  
#5 Old 09-08-2018
Premium Member
 
Pyecrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Glastonbury, Somerset, UK
Vehicle: SLC 250d Sport in indium grey, March 2017
Other Toys: Skoda Yeti 170 & K1 Racing dinghy
Posts: 184
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 25 Times in 8 Posts
A splendid choice Mark, especially considering your experience with Porsche in the past.
I too have pondered such a change from my 250d but haven't done anything about it yet.
Looking forward to the pics,

Check the limited slip differential has had its first year oil change!
David


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SLC 250d Sport
Metallic paint, sat nav, heated seats, reversing camera, dimming and folding mirrors, rain sensors, cup holders, dark carbon trim.
Pyecrust is offline  
#6 Old 09-09-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hugglescote, East Midlands
Vehicle: 2017 AMG SLC43 Designo Cerussite Grey Magno, lots of extras too many to list
Posts: 131
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyecrust View Post
A splendid choice Mark, especially considering your experience with Porsche in the past.
I too have pondered such a change from my 250d but haven't done anything about it yet.
Looking forward to the pics,

Check the limited slip differential has had its first year oil change!
David

Hi David,


After seeing the LSD oil change on the forums , I have asked the dealer to ensure it has been done, the car has only done 4700 miles


I found an article on the web which shows the colour of he car I have purchased


https://s3.paultan.org/image/2016/04...5-1200x529.jpg


I was worried about the matte paint finish but decided to go with it!


Besides the standard spec it has COMAND, Harmon Karon, Dual Climate, Electric Seat Pack, Lane Assist and a few more I cannot remember LOL


Cheers


Mark
markuk is offline  
#7 Old 09-09-2018
Premium Member
 
Pyecrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Glastonbury, Somerset, UK
Vehicle: SLC 250d Sport in indium grey, March 2017
Other Toys: Skoda Yeti 170 & K1 Racing dinghy
Posts: 184
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 25 Times in 8 Posts
Looks lovely Mark quite distinctive especially with red seat belts and red brake calipers.
Does the finish feel smooth, presume it requires specific cleaners but shouldn't be a problem

have a look at this link
https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/merced...ide-and-prices
Cheers, David


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SLC 250d Sport
Metallic paint, sat nav, heated seats, reversing camera, dimming and folding mirrors, rain sensors, cup holders, dark carbon trim.
Pyecrust is offline  
#8 Old 09-09-2018
Registered Users
 
Canadac300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Vehicle: Mercedes 2017 SLC300 Polar White
Other Toys: 2016 Lexus NX200t
Posts: 61
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Hi!
Getting a new car is great but a new SLC43, fantastic!
Canadac300 is offline  
#9 Old 09-09-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Wirral England
Vehicle: slc 43 2016
Posts: 292
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 42 Times in 29 Posts
I've had one for two years and 18000 miles now , great little car , does everything you'll ever want and shows a clean pair of heels to a lot of cars the that reviewers wouldn't believe it can around the Nurburgring , even in my hands , most of the people who knock them haven't driven one ! Enjoy the new purchase , I keep looking at the Porsche range , up the Mercedes range , occasionally consider the boring 4wd option of audis regardless of the amazing 0 - 60 mph but can't bring myself to jump ship . Every time I use my 43 it brings a smile to my face , none of the options would , the 43 is old fashioned fun and all the better for it .
Trev5 and DAVIETHESCAFF like this.
Paulwirral is offline  
#10 Old 09-10-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hugglescote, East Midlands
Vehicle: 2017 AMG SLC43 Designo Cerussite Grey Magno, lots of extras too many to list
Posts: 131
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwirral View Post
I've had one for two years and 18000 miles now , great little car , does everything you'll ever want and shows a clean pair of heels to a lot of cars the that reviewers wouldn't believe it can around the Nurburgring , even in my hands , most of the people who knock them haven't driven one ! Enjoy the new purchase , I keep looking at the Porsche range , up the Mercedes range , occasionally consider the boring 4wd option of audis regardless of the amazing 0 - 60 mph but can't bring myself to jump ship . Every time I use my 43 it brings a smile to my face , none of the options would , the 43 is old fashioned fun and all the better for it .

Thanks Paul


Yes this will only be my 2nd Mercedes, and it would have been too easy for mt to go back to the PORSCHE brand, but they don't really excite me like the old air cooled variants, yes I know times move on and all that..


I couldn't believe so many negatives reviews, I had a great test drive on varied roads and really enjoyed it


Its a 2017 reg, with 4.7K miles on it and a Christmas Tree Spec LOl...... the guy must have spend a fortune on it !!


I can't wait for Friday
Trev5 likes this.
markuk is offline  
#11 Old 09-10-2018
Premium Member

 
Trev5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basingstoke & Burnham
Vehicle: R172 SLC43 MY18 Sold: 2010 R171 SLK350
Other Toys: 406 Coupe for winter use..
Posts: 1,957
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Thanks: 102
Thanked 370 Times in 183 Posts
Garage
Sounds a great Spec' SLC43 and look forward to seeing Your pictures
Trev5 is offline  
#12 Old 09-11-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle: 2018 slc43
Other Toys: Mercedes ML350 Bluetec, Mercedes GLK 350, Motoguzzi Breva 1100, Suzuki Bandit 1250 .... and more
Posts: 41
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markuk View Post
Hi David,


After seeing the LSD oil change on the forums , I have asked the dealer to ensure it has been done, the car has only done 4700 miles


I found an article on the web which shows the colour of he car I have purchased


https://s3.paultan.org/image/2016/04...5-1200x529.jpg


I was worried about the matte paint finish but decided to go with it!


Besides the standard spec it has COMAND, Harmon Karon, Dual Climate, Electric Seat Pack, Lane Assist and a few more I cannot remember LOL


Cheers


Mark

I have similar options. Mango Grey - Red Art Edition. The paint is tough. Does not scratch. All you need is (.. see below) and your car will look like new for ever. Go for it.



Meticulous Matte Detailer (1 Gal)
Click for larger image and other views











More Photos
Chemical Guys SPI_995 - Meticulous Matte Detailer (1 Gal)
SLCaddiction is offline  
#13 Old 09-11-2018
Moderator

 
LeonardoDaBenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Near Toronto, Ontario
Vehicle: 2012 SLK55 AMG "SCHWARZIE"
Other Toys: Magnum RT and an ugly Civic
Posts: 9,832
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Thanks: 349
Thanked 584 Times in 545 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCaddiction View Post
I have similar options. Mango Grey - Red Art Edition. The paint is tough. Does not scratch. All you need is (.. see below) and your car will look like new for ever. Go for it.



Meticulous Matte Detailer (1 Gal)
Click for larger image and other views











More Photos
Chemical Guys SPI_995 - Meticulous Matte Detailer (1 Gal)
Pics don't show for me


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



LEN

(Moderator)

“I can’t give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give
you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”


Herbert Bayard Swope
LeonardoDaBenz is offline  
#14 Old 09-12-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle: 2018 slc43
Other Toys: Mercedes ML350 Bluetec, Mercedes GLK 350, Motoguzzi Breva 1100, Suzuki Bandit 1250 .... and more
Posts: 41
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Just search for Chemical Guys - Meticulous Matte Detailer in Amazon (1 Gal) @ 40$ and you are all set for few years. You can only clean Matte finish and coat it with very light uv protector. Taking care of Matte car is easier vs. compared to my other cars - where you have to clean and polish. ( Polish takes a longest time). It is a myth that this type of finish is expensive to maintain. I would avoid direct exposure to sun for very long duration if possible. The color will fade as it does not have the extra layer of clear coat to protect from UV. Also bird poop can do some damage if not washed for weeks - as the acid in the poop will eat your paint (again with no clear coat to protect). But damage form little stones kicked back from tires are actually less at the paint is tough as nail. Very hard to scratch. I have read that MB actually spend considerable effort to get the hardness right for these type of paint by mixing it with just right amount of silica. The down side of that is - during painting process the car has be finished painting in a very small time frame before the paint hardens and steaks starts to show. If the paint job goes bad - there is not too many option to fix it. The part is a write off. Hence this is such an expensive option. The other down side is - body shop will not be able to color match the paint 100%. If you apply one less coat or one more coat the color tone changes. So even if you have the same exact paint - the thickness of application has to match with factory. Hard for a body shop to do.
Pyecrust likes this.
SLCaddiction is offline  
#15 Old 09-12-2018
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Sussex
Vehicle: 2012 250 petrol black/red
Posts: 974
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Thanks: 12
Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCaddiction View Post
Just search for Chemical Guys - Meticulous Matte Detailer in Amazon (1 Gal) @ 40$ and you are all set for few years. You can only clean Matte finish and coat it with very light uv protector. Taking care of Matte car is easier vs. compared to my other cars - where you have to clean and polish. ( Polish takes a longest time). It is a myth that this type of finish is expensive to maintain. I would avoid direct exposure to sun for very long duration if possible. The color will fade as it does not have the extra layer of clear coat to protect from UV. Also bird poop can do some damage if not washed for weeks - as the acid in the poop will eat your paint (again with no clear coat to protect). But damage form little stones kicked back from tires are actually less at the paint is tough as nail. Very hard to scratch. I have read that MB actually spend considerable effort to get the hardness right for these type of paint by mixing it with just right amount of silica. The down side of that is - during painting process the car has be finished painting in a very small time frame before the paint hardens and steaks starts to show. If the paint job goes bad - there is not too many option to fix it. The part is a write off. Hence this is such an expensive option. The other down side is - body shop will not be able to color match the paint 100%. If you apply one less coat or one more coat the color tone changes. So even if you have the same exact paint - the thickness of application has to match with factory. Hard for a body shop to do.

Blimey I think I'd avoid matte/matt like the plague or go for a wrap & save all the worry & faffing about.
SLKomatic likes this.
oldmercman is offline  
#16 Old 09-16-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Wales
Vehicle: 2017 Polar White AMG SLC43
Other Toys: 2018 Range Rover Evoque Landmark edition
Posts: 114
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Thanks: 67
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Congratulations Mark on your very well spec'd purchase.

You are now a member of the AMG 43 club.


Enjoy your pick up and drive home.


Regards



Tom
tadpole is offline  
#17 Old 09-16-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hugglescote, East Midlands
Vehicle: 2017 AMG SLC43 Designo Cerussite Grey Magno, lots of extras too many to list
Posts: 131
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Congratulations Mark on your very well spec'd purchase.

You are now a member of the AMG 43 club.


Enjoy your pick up and drive home.


Regards



Tom

Thanks Tom


I had a good trip out in it today, great car



Going back to the dealers tomorrow just for a few minor details to be sorted


The matte paintwork is going to be a pain, but looks great


cheers
tadpole and Trev5 like this.
markuk is offline  
#18 Old 09-23-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hugglescote, East Midlands
Vehicle: 2017 AMG SLC43 Designo Cerussite Grey Magno, lots of extras too many to list
Posts: 131
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
So some pictures as promised, will take some better ones when I am out and about in a better setting



Do you think I should leave the model designation and decals deleted as the previous had or put them back on, opinions welcomed


Great drive and power, I really don't know what the issue is with people who review them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180921_093207.jpg (81.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180921_093215.jpg (79.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180921_093224.jpg (78.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180921_093235.jpg (76.0 KB, 33 views)
markuk is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to markuk For This Useful Post:
#19 Old 09-23-2018
AND MABEL

 
DAVIETHESCAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Barrhead
Vehicle: 2008 AMG 55
Other Toys: "Red Mist" 2004 Battistini Hardtail Chopper
Posts: 13,097
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Thanks: 2,960
Thanked 1,015 Times in 859 Posts
Garage
Love the finish and colour, and personally I'd leave the model designation etc. off as it looks good as is.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.........Happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you have.........Daviethescaff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DAVIETHESCAFF is offline  
#20 Old 09-23-2018
Premium Member
 
NMBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SW Colorado
Vehicle: 2012 Black SLK350
Other Toys: 2006 Lexus GX470 lifted and bumpers
Posts: 685
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Congratulations, looks great.

I was a Honda S2000 nut and before buying my SLK350 I thought about a Boxer, but they don’t do it for me. I had driven my of them as an instructor for the Porsche club. My S2000 friends thought I was a little off my rocker, until I took them for rides. I really love the SLK as a tourer and a back roads carver.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mercedes Benz SLK Forum > Mercedes Benz R172 SLK Class Cars > SLC General Discussion

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Upload your files to MEGAUPLOAD
Upload your images to ImageShack

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes Benz SLK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My modification thread (Includes AirScarf install) Adamantium General Modifications R171 370 08-26-2016 04:10 AM
2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC Is Officially Here, but Hides a Nasty Surprise Berliner Heckflosse SLK R172 General Discussion 166 03-11-2016 08:04 AM
Mercedes-Benz V-Class AMG Line is a Reality, Will Take a Bow in Frankfurt Berliner Heckflosse Off Topic 0 08-26-2015 02:00 PM
Slk 250cdi amg sport new owner the_55 SLK R172 General Discussion 13 01-29-2013 01:14 PM
AMGPL: AMG 5.5-litre V8 biturbo engine Cold Shot AMGs 14 03-21-2010 09:11 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Clubs, Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.