No SLC 43 for me - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

SLC General Discussion SLC 180,200,300,250d,43 AMG

 40Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-22-2017
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: DFW
Vehicle: 2018 SLC 43
Other Toys: 2013 Lincoln MKT
Posts: 588
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Thanks: 25
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
No SLC 43 for me

I started thinking about an SLC 43 when the first rumors came out to replace a low miles, loaded 2012 SLK 350. Dumb, but hey. Went to Dealer A where I bought it and asked for a salesman a friend recommended, nice long chat. Asked him to call me when one came in. One came in, no call. Asked for another salesman while there for service or parts. "What's an SLC? Do you mean GLC? SLK? SL?" And so on. The SLC was sitting right there. Give up and leave. Came back, asked for their BEST salesman. Long chat, asked to be called for a test drive when a higher spec SLC came in. No call. Wrote a bad service review and mentioned the sales problems too. Someone finally called but by then I was done with this dealer and all their other locations. Not interested in a sale, obviously.

Dealer B opened a big new location and looked promising. Talked to the MBCA-recommended salesman a few times, started the paperwork on a loaded SLC. Thought I'd give him a shot at trade-in even though I was not really planning on that. He comes back and said gee, what about that left side body damage? We'll have to tell the buyer about that. And the tires are worn out, we'll have to replace those. And on and on about what a terrible car it was (with near-new tires and <20000 miles). Offered $22,000. That pissed me off so I left. Discount Tires measured 7 of 9/32 tread, first owner said "What damage (had his number from records)?" Also checked myself, of course. See him at an event there weeks later, confront him with the card from Discount Tire and other info. Begged, but trust was gone. This was their corporate culture there. Told him he had his chance and he blew it.

New Dealer C opened, knew the sales manager who was a salesman I first talked to at Dealer B and knew from the MBCA club. By now the 2018 is announced, cool. While in for B service, talked to a salesman, asked for him to call with info on special order delivery time. Never called. Asked manager for THEIR best salesman, talked to him, sent my build from the MB website. Came in, discussed color and a $1000 deposit. He praises the color. Has a build sheet made up which we review. What about color-keyed mirrors, I asked? He insisted that was not an order-able option, despite being on the website. THEN the manager comes in and raises the deposit to $2500 cuz the color is terrible and they'd never able to sell it if I did not take the car. Also insists the same on the mirrors. I said no deal unless I see the mirrors on the build sheet. Unrelenting, so I walked. Next day, Boy Wonder calls, manager relents on the insulting $2500 deposit (told the manager a friend bought an SL from him with only a $200 deposit) but not the mirrors. Boy Wonder argues with me, nastily asked if I'm looking at the MBUSA website (yes). Finally I said "We're done" and he hangs up on me. Other minor issues where I almost walked but those were the core issues.

So later, manager emails. Still argues about the mirrors. I replied with a screen capture. Finally relents much later after finding code 6U6 no charge option and apologizes. Begs, but I had had it with both of them.

So here's the problem: I've been through every crooked, incompetent dealer or branch in DFW. Year and a half, no SLC 43. What do I do now? I'm stuck. Any ideas? Never had this problem before. Last new car I went in just to pee and drove one home. We had a lot of laughs, then later they call and offer me a sales job. I don't think I'm the problem. Help!!
ps33fount likes this.
SLKomatic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 11-22-2017
Super Moderator/RoTMorganiser

 
Avel Du's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Wirral, England
Vehicle: 2007 SLK55AMG
Other Toys: 2009 SLK 350 (Bluebadger), MK I Nissan Murano (2008), Honda VFR 800 FiW (1998), CB400four f2 (1978)
Posts: 22,407
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,915
Thanked 1,426 Times in 1,313 Posts
Garage
Firstly, thanks for not identifying dealers.
Causes all sorts of issues for the forum.

I'd forward the details to MBUSA with the full details and ID the dealers to them.
Ask them that same 'What do I do now?' question.

See what comes back.

I guess the USA must have sites like the one in the UK? Carwow?
You spec the car and can get huge discounts.
Dealers contact you with their best price.
You pick which offer/dealer to use.

But I'd wait and see what MBUSA comes back with first.

Dealers are a mix of good and bad in my experience.
Most New car dealers that I've come across did not impress.
Other members in the UK have a better relationship with their dealer.
Maybe nothing, but you don't know until you try.
SLKomatic and ps33fount like this.

Myk
(Moderator/Ride of the Month Coordinator)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Thanks go to those that post problems, solutions & feedback. It all helps.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Smartop : Cubby Holder : Cree fronts : Both rear fogs : Clock Insert : Quicksilver exhaust



Useful R170 diy:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Useful R171 diy:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Useful R172 diy:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Avel Du is online now  
#3 Old 11-22-2017
Registered Users
 
Mensra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The boondocks
Vehicle: 2012 SLK 55 w/P30 aka “The Garbage Scow”
Other Toys: Wellcraft Scarab, Porsche Macan S
Posts: 3,204
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Thanks: 297
Thanked 261 Times in 235 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Mensra Send a message via MSN to Mensra
I agree about the dealers. I went to the only dealer for 80 miles around here, and they were snotty obnoxious incompetent and attempted to try and tell me things wrong that weren’t. I actually drove 86 miles to buy the car I have now. I refused to have anything to do with the local dealer. I had to get a key made for my car, I paid for it, came in and found out they ordered the wrong key. It works for the car, but it is not a keyless go. So they ended up giving me the key. Awful nice right? No, they just couldn’t do anything with the key that are even made it to the cars VIN so they figured they would just give it away otherwise it goes in the circular file. They’re now ordering another one, so I have to come back another time to have it programmed. Complete incompetence on top of their “this is Mercedes” superior attitude. I will definitely not have a Mercedes as my next car with yours like this. Corporate also told me that they would do nothing for me with regards to the defect in the roof. My insurance is covering it I’m getting it replaced.
Mensra is online now  
 
#4 Old 11-23-2017
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: DFW
Vehicle: 2018 SLC 43
Other Toys: 2013 Lincoln MKT
Posts: 588
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Thanks: 25
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avel Du View Post
I guess the USA must have sites like the one in the UK? Carwow?
You spec the car and can get huge discounts.
Dealers contact you with their best price.
You pick which offer/dealer to use.
No Carwow here, but something like that was my first thought. Got some info from Authority Auto. Close, but no local representation. Said they can do it all over the phone. Costco buying service is out because you have to go to the dealer yourself. Been there, thanks. Still looking for other alternatives along that line.

I did unload on some Mercedes suits at a car show, weren't sympathetic, offered no solution.

Could go 100 miles to Tyler or Waco and try. I bought a car 60 miles away in 2010 when I exhausted local dealers over a year's time (guess I did have this problem before, come to think of it). In and out in under an hour, cash deal.

Maybe I'm too demanding, but I just don't do business with the incompetent and crooked. Reward that and you just get more of it. Some detail left out above but that's the high - or low - points. Boy Wonder condescendingly explained about delivery dates, "It's made in Germany. They have to ship it here." Gee, who knew? And guess what - you never belittle a guy's ride (especially fraudulently) or color choice, you listen when the customer knows more than you about your product, and you call back people ready to buy.
Terminal and ps33fount like this.
SLKomatic is offline  
#5 Old 11-23-2017
Administrator/Founding Member

 
jbanks15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tampa, Florida
Vehicle: 2009 SLK 55 AMG Kleemann Supercharger, ECU tune, Headers and LSD, CF Diffuser
Posts: 90,561
Country:
Chats: 38
Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6460 Post(s)
Thanks: 3,219
Thanked 10,972 Times in 8,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLKomatic View Post
No Carwow here, but something like that was my first thought. Got some info from Authority Auto. Close, but no local representation. Said they can do it all over the phone. Costco buying service is out because you have to go to the dealer yourself. Been there, thanks. Still looking for other alternatives along that line.

I did unload on some Mercedes suits at a car show, weren't sympathetic, offered no solution.

Could go 100 miles to Tyler or Waco and try. I bought a car 60 miles away in 2010 when I exhausted local dealers over a year's time (guess I did have this problem before, come to think of it). In and out in under an hour, cash deal.

Maybe I'm too demanding, but I just don't do business with the incompetent and crooked. Reward that and you just get more of it. Some detail left out above but that's the high - or low - points. Boy Wonder condescendingly explained about delivery dates, "It's made in Germany. They have to ship it here." Gee, who knew? And guess what - you never belittle a guy's ride (especially fraudulently) or color choice, you listen when the customer knows more than you about your product, and you call back people ready to buy.
My Tampa dealer

https://www.mboftampabay.com/new-inv...cetInteracted=



My salesman back in 2004 for my previous 2005 SLK 350 is still at Tampa MB

https://www.dealerrater.com/sales/Si...-review-70287/


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff, US Army Master Sergeant Retired
2009 SLK 55 AMG Black/Black
Kleemann Supercharger thread here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kleemann ECU Tune, headers and downpipes thread here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Albums:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ClearBra
OEM MB Plexiglass Draught Stop
Smarttop version 3.22
Previous - 02 SLK 320, 05 SLK 350
jbanks15 is online now  
#6 Old 11-23-2017
6007.us
 
Padgett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Orlando
Vehicle: '01 SLK320 Lazulithe Blue, '00 SLK230 Bahama Blue (needs interior parts)
Other Toys: Too many others. See web page.
Posts: 2,569
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 157 Times in 144 Posts
Well I bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee (MB design) new in 2012 because had trailer towing package, DOHC 6, Bluetooth, and was red. Despite being low optioned (no extra chrome & 2wd) got about 11% off MSRP with discounts,etc. Economy was in dumps. Joke was (may be older) "What is the difference between a Texan and a pigeon ?" "A pigeon can still make a deposit on a Mercedes".

2017 and dealers are doing you a favor to sell you a car. Just a different time. Mention of salesmen in general would come under politics.

ps GC is still going and best tow car I've ever had.
Robbie4T and ps33fount like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Padgett is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Padgett For This Useful Post:
#7 Old 11-23-2017
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix
Vehicle: 1999 slk 230
Other Toys: 1966 Mercedes Heckflosse
Posts: 14,262
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,114
Thanked 1,413 Times in 951 Posts
Garage
Our beloved/trusted MB Salesman that sold us 4 Mercedes left Phoenix Motor Company when they moved/opened Mercedes in Scottdale because he did not liked the new Company Policy (high pressure make it happen now no matter what).

I did not know that when we went to MB in Scottsdale (my Betty wanted to buy a MB SUV) asking for him. They told us he was out of the office..... Boy they looked at us like we just got off the "Homeless Bus" ( shopped in Doc Martins, Shorts with holes in them and some worn Punk T-Shirts after all it was July)


They have been so snooty (wanted a $2000.00 Deposit before they would even show us the SUV) to my Betty that she told the Manager that he could #$%$%((**&& his SUV up his $500.00 (*&^&*&^&&^^%%$ Hugo Boss Undies. and we walked out and that was the end of our MB Ownership for good. We never got that kind of treatment at Phx Motor Company otherwise we would not have bought 4 cars from them. Sure miss that Company. It proof,s the point once again to retain loyal Customers is an art by itself. I guess the new Management Team over at MB in Scottsdale never found that page in the MB Hand Book. Oh well ....she is happy with the other Brand she bought that day and that is all that matters. Like the old saying goes a happy wife makes some great Dinners or something like that.
Trev5, Avel Du, SLKomatic and 2 others like this.
Berliner Heckflosse is offline  
#8 Old 11-23-2017
6007.us
 
Padgett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Orlando
Vehicle: '01 SLK320 Lazulithe Blue, '00 SLK230 Bahama Blue (needs interior parts)
Other Toys: Too many others. See web page.
Posts: 2,569
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 157 Times in 144 Posts
I recall a shop owner on Worth Ave saying that they never looked at how a shopper was dressed because some of the most casually dressed usually paid cash while they often had trouble with those putting on a show & running a tab (before credit cards were common).


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Padgett is offline  
#9 Old 11-23-2017
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: DFW
Vehicle: 2018 SLC 43
Other Toys: 2013 Lincoln MKT
Posts: 588
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Thanks: 25
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
I recall a shop owner on Worth Ave saying that they never looked at how a shopper was dressed because some of the most casually dressed usually paid cash while they often had trouble with those putting on a show & running a tab (before credit cards were common).
I usually wore a T-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops until it turned cool and I'm paying cash (well, maybe someday). I did that at the Lincoln dealer I'd been talking to for 2-3 years. Called and said can't find what I want so I'll be there in 30 minutes to order a 2014. Said wait, he'd check local inventory one more time. Never called back. He never looked, I guess, went across town, found TWO in stock like I wanted, just had two minor options like a trailer hitch I didn't need. Close enough. Drove one home. I took a picture of myself with it and sent it to him, with text "You never called back!" They gave me 0% interest so I went that way at their recommendation. Smart move I was too dumb to see - use their money. That was the place I mentioned where we all had a great time.

This is a "you had to be there" story perhaps, but that day it was pouring rain. The manager and young salesman set up my iPhone and the showed me the weather feature. Pointed to the screen and said "And here you can see what the weather is!" I replied, pointing to the rain, "Or you can just look out the window." We all laughed for a minute, sides sore. It was the rain that made it so funny. They were so enthusiastic and eager to please.
SLKomatic is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SLKomatic For This Useful Post:
#10 Old 11-24-2017
Administrator/Founding Member

 
jbanks15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tampa, Florida
Vehicle: 2009 SLK 55 AMG Kleemann Supercharger, ECU tune, Headers and LSD, CF Diffuser
Posts: 90,561
Country:
Chats: 38
Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6460 Post(s)
Thanks: 3,219
Thanked 10,972 Times in 8,335 Posts
Everyone has their own dealer story. back in 2002 i was looking for a slk320. drove into dealer with my girlfriend in my 96 isuzu rodeo and dirty jeans. No one came out to talk to us. we walked to their back lot and looked at slks without any assistance. Then went to their front window and stuck my face to it like a kid looking at puppy dogs in a pet store. inside were 3 salesmen just jacking their jaws. still no action. we got in the car and started to drive away. i said to her, naw, this is just too good an opportunity. I parked the car and went in and asked for the sales manager. He came out asking what he could do for me. i explained what happened and that i was in the market for 2 slks, a 230 for her and a 320 for me but since they were so busy, i was taking my business across the bay. the look on his face was priceless as they say.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff, US Army Master Sergeant Retired
2009 SLK 55 AMG Black/Black
Kleemann Supercharger thread here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kleemann ECU Tune, headers and downpipes thread here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Albums:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ClearBra
OEM MB Plexiglass Draught Stop
Smarttop version 3.22
Previous - 02 SLK 320, 05 SLK 350
jbanks15 is online now  
#11 Old 11-24-2017
Registered Users

 
Bluebadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Uk
Vehicle: 2009 r171 350
Posts: 593
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Thanks: 55
Thanked 60 Times in 50 Posts
Car sales people as soon as they open there mouths wind me up.

Just after the accident Myk and I went looking at a nearly new A8 for me and a small run about for my mum. We were in bike clothes they ignored us,preferring to talk to a guy in a suit about a cheap car that he was never gonna buy. We just walked out no point if they can’t sell you a car properly the aftercare is gonna be rubbish.

They treat Myk and I very differently on a test drive for a Volvo big estate v70, guy had been told it was for me offered Myk the test drive. Never answered any of my questions but spoke to Myk and told me it was a pretty colour!!!

The useless dealers all live in a bubble and get a certain type of person who is wowed by bull served with a suit.

I tried to get a disability car to be told because I needed electric seats I would have to pay between £500 and £3000 extra pay them a load of money and Car still not mine. The Skoda and Audi dealers were fantastic down to earth helpful just couldn’t help me. The Volvo told me I didn’t have enough money go try another make.

I just wouldn’t buy a new car now I’m too jaded by the experiences of bad dealers and salespersons especially the ones who shove girls at ya thinking it will sell cars.
SLKomatic likes this.

Debs


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bluebadger is online now  
#12 Old 11-24-2017
Moderator

 
LeonardoDaBenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Near Toronto, Ontario
Vehicle: 2012 SLK55 AMG "SCHWARZIE"
Other Toys: Magnum RT and an ugly Civic
Posts: 9,838
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Thanks: 349
Thanked 584 Times in 545 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanks15 View Post
Everyone has their own dealer story. back in 2002 i was looking for a slk320. drove into dealer with my girlfriend in my 96 isuzu rodeo and dirty jeans. No one came out to talk to us. we walked to their back lot and looked at slks without any assistance. Then went to their front window and stuck my face to it like a kid looking at puppy dogs in a pet store. inside were 3 salesmen just jacking their jaws. still no action. we got in the car and started to drive away.
I did the same thing--Even went to the store in Schwarzie and parked right in front of the main door. We walked around for a bit , no one comes out so we got back in and drove away.

MAYBE they are told NOT to come out and only to come to talk if we go inside??


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



LEN

(Moderator)

“I can’t give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give
you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”


Herbert Bayard Swope
LeonardoDaBenz is online now  
#13 Old 11-24-2017
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix
Vehicle: 1999 slk 230
Other Toys: 1966 Mercedes Heckflosse
Posts: 14,262
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,114
Thanked 1,413 Times in 951 Posts
Garage
My latest Dealer is fantastic I bought 2 cars from them so far. My Sales Person is outstanding as far as going out of his way to make the impossible possible (when we met he was so down to earth not pushiy just let me walk around in the AZ heat I always have a good laugh with the managers and the service dept is beyond believe. I send 3 friend over and they traded there Mercedes Audi,s in for a new Car. It,s my Mini Cooper Dealer that is just as good as Phoenix Motor Company was in the past. I was so happy the other day with the Service Dept that I came back with 10 Pizza,s to make there lunch a little better.
Berliner Heckflosse is offline  
#14 Old 11-24-2017
Super Moderator/RoTMorganiser

 
Avel Du's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Wirral, England
Vehicle: 2007 SLK55AMG
Other Toys: 2009 SLK 350 (Bluebadger), MK I Nissan Murano (2008), Honda VFR 800 FiW (1998), CB400four f2 (1978)
Posts: 22,407
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,915
Thanked 1,426 Times in 1,313 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebadger View Post
Car sales people as soon as they open there mouths wind me up.

Just after the accident Myk and I went looking at a nearly new A8 for me and a small run about for my mum. We were in bike clothes they ignored us,preferring to talk to a guy in a suit about a cheap car that he was never gonna buy. We just walked out no point if they can’t sell you a car properly the aftercare is gonna be rubbish.

They treat Myk and I very differently on a test drive for a Volvo big estate v70, guy had been told it was for me offered Myk the test drive. Never answered any of my questions but spoke to Myk and told me it was a pretty colour!!!

The useless dealers all live in a bubble and get a certain type of person who is wowed by bull served with a suit.

I tried to get a disability car to be told because I needed electric seats I would have to pay between £500 and £3000 extra pay them a load of money and Car still not mine. The Skoda and Audi dealers were fantastic down to earth helpful just couldn’t help me. The Volvo told me I didn’t have enough money go try another make.

I just wouldn’t buy a new car now I’m too jaded by the experiences of bad dealers and salespersons especially the ones who shove girls at ya thinking it will sell cars.
Tell them about FoW Salesman when I refused the test drive as it was for you.
Bad auto/Good auto.
Bluebadger likes this.

Myk
(Moderator/Ride of the Month Coordinator)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Thanks go to those that post problems, solutions & feedback. It all helps.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Smartop : Cubby Holder : Cree fronts : Both rear fogs : Clock Insert : Quicksilver exhaust



Useful R170 diy:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Useful R171 diy:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Useful R172 diy:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Avel Du is online now  
#15 Old 11-24-2017
Registered Users
 
ps33fount's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Cape Coral FL
Vehicle: 2005 SLK55 AMG
Other Toys: too many things to take care of and use properly
Posts: 1,582
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Thanks: 267
Thanked 57 Times in 57 Posts
We visited the local MB dealer, drove up close to the main door, in our '15 SRX, nice and shiny, got out walked into the showroom, wearing nice shorts, nice T-shirt, Flip-Flops, walked around some of the models on the floor, no one came up to us, no one looked our way, we walked out, walked around a couple of models under the apron, slowly walked back to our car, was looking for any new or used SLK's after visiting the Indy that had the 55 we wound up purchasing. After getting back into car, drove through the lot looking for any, saw a 'worker' (could have been sales or service, don't know) driving in our direction, rolled the window down, waved at him. He stopped rolled his window down and asked him about SLK's on the lot. He was helpful pointing out only one they had, it was a used -'12, white with 60 to 70 K on the meter, for near triple what we paid for the 55.

He never got out of his car, didn't offer a card, just pointed in the general direction of the car, rolled up his window and drove off.

They had no idea what our purchasing power was and now, never will.

This experience ALMOST, got me to start looking at Lexus drop top coupes, but because I had already found my cream-puff, I chose to start the negotiations with the Indy.
ps33fount is offline  
#16 Old 11-24-2017
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Sussex
Vehicle: 2012 250 petrol black/red
Posts: 974
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Thanks: 12
Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebadger View Post
Car sales people as soon as they open there mouths wind me up.

Just after the accident Myk and I went looking at a nearly new A8 for me and a small run about for my mum. We were in bike clothes they ignored us,preferring to talk to a guy in a suit about a cheap car that he was never gonna buy. We just walked out no point if they can’t sell you a car properly the aftercare is gonna be rubbish.

They treat Myk and I very differently on a test drive for a Volvo big estate v70, guy had been told it was for me offered Myk the test drive. Never answered any of my questions but spoke to Myk and told me it was a pretty colour!!!

The useless dealers all live in a bubble and get a certain type of person who is wowed by bull served with a suit.

I tried to get a disability car to be told because I needed electric seats I would have to pay between £500 and £3000 extra pay them a load of money and Car still not mine. The Skoda and Audi dealers were fantastic down to earth helpful just couldn’t help me. The Volvo told me I didn’t have enough money go try another make.

I just wouldn’t buy a new car now I’m too jaded by the experiences of bad dealers and salespersons especially the ones who shove girls at ya thinking it will sell cars.

Check out PistonHeads for ever repeating posts on this very subject so much so it gets boring.
oldmercman is offline  
#17 Old 11-24-2017
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Sussex
Vehicle: 2012 250 petrol black/red
Posts: 974
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Thanks: 12
Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLKomatic View Post
I started thinking about an SLC 43 when the first rumors came out to replace a low miles, loaded 2012 SLK 350. Dumb, but hey. Went to Dealer A where I bought it and asked for a salesman a friend recommended, nice long chat. Asked him to call me when one came in. One came in, no call. Asked for another salesman while there for service or parts. "What's an SLC? Do you mean GLC? SLK? SL?" And so on. The SLC was sitting right there. Give up and leave. Came back, asked for their BEST salesman. Long chat, asked to be called for a test drive when a higher spec SLC came in. No call. Wrote a bad service review and mentioned the sales problems too. Someone finally called but by then I was done with this dealer and all their other locations. Not interested in a sale, obviously.

Dealer B opened a big new location and looked promising. Talked to the MBCA-recommended salesman a few times, started the paperwork on a loaded SLC. Thought I'd give him a shot at trade-in even though I was not really planning on that. He comes back and said gee, what about that left side body damage? We'll have to tell the buyer about that. And the tires are worn out, we'll have to replace those. And on and on about what a terrible car it was (with near-new tires and <20000 miles). Offered $22,000. That pissed me off so I left. Discount Tires measured 7 of 9/32 tread, first owner said "What damage (had his number from records)?" Also checked myself, of course. See him at an event there weeks later, confront him with the card from Discount Tire and other info. Begged, but trust was gone. This was their corporate culture there. Told him he had his chance and he blew it.

New Dealer C opened, knew the sales manager who was a salesman I first talked to at Dealer B and knew from the MBCA club. By now the 2018 is announced, cool. While in for B service, talked to a salesman, asked for him to call with info on special order delivery time. Never called. Asked manager for THEIR best salesman, talked to him, sent my build from the MB website. Came in, discussed color and a $1000 deposit. He praises the color. Has a build sheet made up which we review. What about color-keyed mirrors, I asked? He insisted that was not an order-able option, despite being on the website. THEN the manager comes in and raises the deposit to $2500 cuz the color is terrible and they'd never able to sell it if I did not take the car. Also insists the same on the mirrors. I said no deal unless I see the mirrors on the build sheet. Unrelenting, so I walked. Next day, Boy Wonder calls, manager relents on the insulting $2500 deposit (told the manager a friend bought an SL from him with only a $200 deposit) but not the mirrors. Boy Wonder argues with me, nastily asked if I'm looking at the MBUSA website (yes). Finally I said "We're done" and he hangs up on me. Other minor issues where I almost walked but those were the core issues.

So later, manager emails. Still argues about the mirrors. I replied with a screen capture. Finally relents much later after finding code 6U6 no charge option and apologizes. Begs, but I had had it with both of them.

So here's the problem: I've been through every crooked, incompetent dealer or branch in DFW. Year and a half, no SLC 43. What do I do now? I'm stuck. Any ideas? Never had this problem before. Last new car I went in just to pee and drove one home. We had a lot of laughs, then later they call and offer me a sales job. I don't think I'm the problem. Help!!

Seems to me you should start thinking outside of Mercedes, after all there ARE other convertibles out there, maybe not all with folding solid roofs though.
oldmercman is offline  
#18 Old 11-24-2017
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: DFW
Vehicle: 2018 SLC 43
Other Toys: 2013 Lincoln MKT
Posts: 588
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Thanks: 25
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmercman View Post
Seems to me you should start thinking outside of Mercedes, after all there ARE other convertibles out there, maybe not all with folding solid roofs though.
I've been looking at everything, can't find anything I like better. Don't like any BMW. Jaguar comes close but no retractables. Most (or all) convertibles look ugly with the top up, even Mercedes. Look at the GT. I like the Ferrari California but at my age I'm not spending that much. Had a 246GTS in 1974, in the shop 6 of the 13 months I had it. Cured me of exotics.
SLKomatic is offline  
#19 Old 11-24-2017
Premium Member

 
b82012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Vehicle: 2013 SLK350 Diamond white/Sahara beige
Other Toys: 2011 535xi; 2012 A4 quattro
Posts: 773
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Thanks: 91
Thanked 89 Times in 77 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLKomatic View Post
I've been looking at everything, can't find anything I like better. Don't like any BMW. Jaguar comes close but no retractables. Most (or all) convertibles look ugly with the top up, even Mercedes. Look at the GT. I like the Ferrari California but at my age I'm not spending that much. Had a 246GTS in 1974, in the shop 6 of the 13 months I had it. Cured me of exotics.
I will say, don't let attitudes and incompetence of a few local dealerships deter you from your quest. Expand your search to 100 - 200 miles radius to find what you want. There are plenty excellent dealerships with good customer experience out there. Don't limit yourself to these ones....

I bought my 2013 350 in a MB dealership in VA, about 450 miles away from Boston, MA. Everything about the car checked out, negotiation was a breeze, payment was by cash (all they asked to get the car ready was for me to send them a text of the personal check in the amount of the car cost). Transaction was based on honor and trust. I will buy from that dealership again in a heartbeat... Could not find a local MB shop with the right car for the right $$$ hence expanded my search to 500-mile radius... and found my current ride.

SLC43 or SLK55 is a pretty awesome car to own. And if you want one, don't be talked out of it nor be deterred.... I wish you luck, patience and resilience in finding what you want...

Omo


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Previous: 2005 SLK55 AMG (sold)
Current: 2013 SLK350 | Fox Sport Exhaust | Magic Sky | Smart Top | 35% tint | Red calipers | F & R Camera | CF-wrapped splitter and DRLs | aFE pro-dry air filter | Piecha "CS" Race Control | LED MB logo
b82012 is online now  
#20 Old 11-24-2017
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: DFW
Vehicle: 2018 SLC 43
Other Toys: 2013 Lincoln MKT
Posts: 588
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Thanks: 25
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b82012 View Post
I will say, don't let attitudes and incompetence of a few local dealerships deter you from your quest. Expand your search to 100 - 200 miles radius to find what you want.
Special ordering, I'll never find one in stock like I want (everything on it). So I'm looking for a dealer, not a car. Good advice, looking at a 100 mile radius already. Had to go 60 miles, nothing in Texas, in 2010.
SLKomatic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mercedes Benz SLK Forum > Mercedes Benz R172 SLK Class Cars > SLC General Discussion

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Upload your files to MEGAUPLOAD
Upload your images to ImageShack

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes Benz SLK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mercedes-Benz SLC 180 launched as new Mazda MX-5 RF rival Berliner Heckflosse SLC General Discussion 39 05-17-2017 03:28 PM
New Mercedes SLC UK prices and specs revealed – costs from £30,495 for the SLC 200 Sport Berliner Heckflosse Off Topic 7 03-06-2016 04:11 AM
UK specs and prices for SLC Harvey Yates SLK R172 General Discussion 11 01-29-2016 04:32 AM
2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class, SLC, and SL Are Now Available to Order Berliner Heckflosse Off Topic 0 01-18-2016 12:29 PM
Mercedes-Benz SLC with optional Night Package Berliner Heckflosse SLK R172 General Discussion 9 12-30-2015 03:21 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Clubs, Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.