Shoiuld have rolled one he still wpuld have a car
A pro golfer from Sheffield, England, Will Hawksworth is going public with his story of how he was nearly killed by his vape pen in a freak accident that occurred in January this year. He escaped with second and third-degree burns, but the Audi A5 he was driving at the time was completely torched. It was a rental, but still.
Speaking with Metro, Hawksworth says he and his girlfriend were driving back home from the supermarket when the incident happened. They heard crackling sounds and she noticed sparks coming out of his breast pocket.
Hawksworth immediately realized what was happening and rushed to take his vape pen out. Then, he understandably dropped it between the front seats of the car, while he and his girlfriend ran to safety. The vape pen exploded and completely torched the car by the time firefighters got on the scene.
“It felt like I was being burnt alive. It was the most painful thing you could ever imagine. My clothes burnt onto my chest and my skin was completely burned,” he says. “I was terrified. I thought this was it and I could have lost my life. I’ll never go near a vape pen ever again. They are lethal.”
“The battery blew up as I pulled over. By the time I stopped I was pretty much engulfed in flames. It burned through my clothes and fell down the side of the car seat. I got out and took my clothes off and covered myself in snow. It was agony. The car just went up in flames. It was completely burned out,” he continues.
The day before, Hawksworth had bought new batteries for his vape pen and he had just put them in that morning. He’d been smoking regular cigarettes for years and had started smoking electronic ones 4 years prior, without any incident.
Efest, the maker of the particular vape pen he had in his pocket at the time, would not comment on his mishap. He’s considering suing them.