The end of World War II marked humanity’s entry into the nuclear age. Having witnessed the huge destructive power of atomic weapons in two occasions before cessation of hostilities, humankind swore never to do it again but began stockpiling an arsenal that could wipe out life on Earth many times over.
The first nuclear reactor, named Chicago Pile-1, achieved critical mass for the first time in 1942. In 1954, the Soviet city of Obninsk became the first human settlement partially powered by a nuclear reactor, followed in 1956 by the world’s first full-scale power station, in Calder Hall in England.
The French seem to have been quite keen on building nuclear-powered cars. At about the same time with the Symetric and Nucleon came into the spotlight at the 1959 Geneva Auto Show the Simca Fulgur.
Simca, a company created by Fiat in 1935, tried to show the world how cars would look in the year 2000. There are no specs available for it, apart from the fact that it should have been powered by atomic energy.
The car had some sort of driver assistance system, that could be controlled by voice commands. Assistance came in the form of an autopilot that took its information from a control tower somewhere. It was capable of using only two of its four wheels to balance itself.