Spent a couple of hours with the famous Berliner Heckflosse today and had a great time. I was in Scottsdale,AZ for a short vacation and we met at the Penske Racing Museum for lunch. I didn't realize that Penske sponsored cars with Porsche, Mercedes, Honda, as well as Chevy engines. We also wandered through the associated Dealerships, and looked over some amazing cars. I also took a short spin in the Abarth and it will flat pin you to your seat - a fun little car. Here are some thoughts.
- You can spend $450,000 on a Rolls Royce convertible if you want to. But if you think the 172 has a big nose then this one is King Kong.
- If you show up in a Rolls Royce dealership in shorts the salesmen don't bother you.
- Bentley and Aston Martin salesmen don't bother you either.
- The Porsche GT3 RS is one wicked looking car.
- For only $428,000 you can buy a Lamborghini Aventador coupe with a 6.5 liter V12 engine. Not sure why they wanted baby blue, though.
- Ferrari actually made a car exclusively for the American market. They made at least 530 of them, because that was the production number of the one we saw. Nice looking ride. We didn't even ask how much.
- When you've been looking at Rolls, Bentley's and Lambo's a $55,000 Jaguar looks like a real bargain.
- The new Jag roadster is coming out next month, and at $70-$90,000 it will definitely compete with the '55.
- The Benz SL63 AMG with the Biturbo sounds absolutely wicked at idle. I can't imagine what it would sound like if you stomped on it.
- They had an SLK 250 with a "proper gearbox", but no racing green Woolly, merely Diamond White - it is the desert, you know.
- There's nothing like wandering around looking at a few million dollars worth of cars with another person who loves them like you do.
I had a blast Daniel. Hope to see you again soon.
I have more pics and I'll upload them tomorrow.