I recently purchased a 2006 SLK55 AMG. I was waiting to wash it so I could take some proper pics. It had only had 16k miles on it. The quality of the upkeep was astounding. I was completely blown away. I traded in my 06 Lexus IS350 and got all of the same options included:
- xenon lights
- navigation (although, no backup camera...a nice feature on the Lexus)
- satellite radio (the previous owner forgot to cancel his subscription...
- espresso designo package
This was my first time buying pre owned so I was a bit nervous. It also came from an independent dealer so it still has some original warranty remaining but nothing else. Not much but still enough for me to get any odds and ends fixed.
The navigation is godawful. Unintuitive in every regard (especially coming from Lexus). Some minor nits include no preview function, ETA on a separate screen...small niceties that you take for granted on Lexus. Although I do like the fact that it is operable while the car is in motion and since its not touch screen, no blinding smudges in daylight. The Comand system also takes a bit of getting used to. The Lexus steering wheel interface integrated audio much more nicely than having to switch through the various programs to activate radio etc. I do like the navigation control in the Comand window...convenient feature.
One question I do have about the Espresso Designo, it doesn't appear to be like the old espresso designo package (that orangish tan color which I did not care for). I'm just curious to know if anyone can confirm that this is really truly is the designo color. My gear shifter says Designo on it but that's about the only confirmation I have since I haven't been able to find any information or pics of this designo flavor online. I love my color combo, especially the 2 tone seats.
Its either a really unique palette combo since I haven't seen any others on the net or the road
OR its not real...
...I have no idea right now.
So a couple of things that I have gathered over the past 2 months that need addressing:
1. Right brake light out...this must be common with MB because I see it a lot. A friend had to tell me this and I was kind of embarrased. You would think with such an expensive car brake lights wouldn't be an issue. Anyway, its nothing the dealer can't fix under warranty.
2. The Comand lighting in the dash is very sensitive. In broad daylight, its very dark and occasionally it will brighten up. I've no idea what's going on. It's impossible to read any of the info on the screen while I'm driving. At night it is fine, no fluctuations or anything. But during the day it is a hassle. Is it just a matter of resetting the light sensor or tweaking it? Anyway, dealer should be handle it.
3. The gear box base is coming undone. The plastic housing the shifter sits in (with the letters describing what gear you are in), that whole face is popping up. Kinda weird. Anyone else experience this? Figured the dealer can just reset it.
4. Water in the trunk - I'll just have the dealer examine the tubing back there to see if there any leaks.
5. Rough idle - There appears to be some TSBs out there for this so no worries.
6. Roof rattle - Again, I'm assuming typical behavior. I'll have dealer address with TSBs
7. Low gear shift when moving out of park - So this is another weird one...it happens occasionally when I haven't driven my car for a while (like couple of days). Sometimes, when I reverse out of my parking garage, I'm moving at idle speed out of the garage and when I step on the gas a bit to speed up, there's a sudden huge shift as if the car downshifted to 1st gear or something. Totally strange. Everything seems fine after that but every once in a while I get this huge shift when moving essentially at idle speed. Anyone get this?
I'm excited for to be here and thank you guys for all of your help!