Join Date: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 1999 slk 230
Other Toys: 1966 Mercedes Heckflosse
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Thanked 1,420 Times in 958 Posts
Vettel can benefit from Mercedes feud
Jan.29 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Mercedes chiefs are heading into the 2016 season with their eyes fixed firmly on Ferrari.
“Ferrari has found its old strength,” declared Niki Lauda, a former Ferrari champion who is now the team chairman at Mercedes.
Mercedes dominantly won the opening two world championships of the new ‘power unit’ era, but Ferrari is now closing the gap and aiming for the title in 2016.
“This is due above all else to Sebastian Vettel,” Lauda told Germany’s Auto Bild Motorsport.
“The fact that he can drive fast is something we need not discuss. The fact that he is hungry for success and is capable of driving a team is something else — Vettel is a dangerous opponent,” he declared.
The fact that Vettel is tipped to be in the running this year is also giving pause to Mercedes boss Toto Wolff, who spent the last two seasons managing an escalating and often bitter duel between teammates Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg.
That feud is now playing on Wolff’s mind.
“We are concerned that Vettel and co could benefit from it,” he admitted.
“With us, the driver pairing is more balanced that at Ferrari, where it is easier to define a number 1 and number 2. For us it’s a competitive disadvantage.”
Wolff continued: “It’s a very interesting situation, because Nico was so dominant at the end of 2015. I really don’t know what plays a bigger role for self-confidence: Lewis’ title or Nico’s recent winning streak.”
At the conclusion of the season, Wolff warned that if the bitterness between Hamilton and Rosberg worsened, he would consider splitting up the duo.
Now, he says: “As long as it’s not bad for Mercedes, I can live with it.”
F1 meets to discuss 2017 plans on Friday
F1’s future continued to take shape on Friday.
In a meeting room at London’s Heathrow airport, representatives of the teams, FOM and the FIA got together to discuss – among other things – the new rules for 2017.
It is the penultimate meeting before the March 1 deadline, coming shortly after it emerged that Pirelli and Mercedes had pushed to dilute the radical plans for cars that would be up to 6 seconds per lap quicker.
The earlier, radical chassis plan had been devised by Red Bull.
“Our concept is still on the table,” Dr Helmut Marko insisted to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport. “It could still be that the proposals are adopted.”
Some teams, however – like Williams – would reportedly prefer that the 2017 revolution is simply delayed altogether until 2018, so that the sport can more carefully step into its future.
Force India’s technical boss Andy Green agrees: “There is now quite a lot of pressure to come to the right approach over two meetings of six hours.”