Can we facelift SLK200 to SLC, worth it? or not? - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

General Modifications R172 Details that make your car different

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 01-12-2016
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indonesia, Jakarta
Vehicle: Alpine White SLK200 R172 2012-Present
Posts: 48
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Cool Can we facelift SLK200 to SLC, worth it? or not?

as Topic,

I have a SLK200 r172 and at a glance I see the new SLC is almost the same platform only the lights and the bumper is different, what I wanted to know, can we facelift it plug and play for the SLK to SLC?

as I see nothing is new, will be waste to buy a new one, as mine is only 14k mileage on it.

thank you!
superbogel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 01-12-2016
Premium Member
 
Delucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KENT
Vehicle: MERCEDES SLK 171 - 09. - SLK KENT GROUP MEET - EVENT ORGANISER
Posts: 4,757
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Thanks: 52
Thanked 342 Times in 320 Posts
Garage

Well one thing you will loose is your real exhaust / chrome tail pipes for false plastic ones built in to the bumper . ??

So real exhaust for faux ones ??
Delucas is online now  
#3 Old 01-12-2016
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Rugby, UK
Vehicle: 2014 Porsche Boxster 981
Posts: 352
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Thanks: 19
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
I wouldn't bother with it unless going for the full blown 43 AMG. That sounds weird not being 55! They look so similar that it takes a semi keen eye to tell them apart
With 14K on the clock, it's just product extension ultimately. I see 3 minor changes with the SLC:

Engines:
-If you want a tad more performance from the 1.8 get it remapped, tuned upto the 250 spec or above (mine was running 239hp 373NM HP no issues...) If you're worried about warranty get a tuning box or Brabus box.
-They usually have some form of reliability flaw at the beginning (e.g. The C Class power steering issues 2015, or the injector issues facing some 2012 diesels atm) so if the facelift bothers you enough, wait a period of time before getting one so you don't have to suffer a potential recall or whatever.

Exterior:
-Lights and body kit. Is the premium worth it for a slightly sleeker body kit and NO exhausts!

Interior:
-The interior in the R172 is already gorgeous. I much prefer it to the interior in my Porsche.

Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to make an SLK into an SLC, otherwise Jeff will have you as a cautionary tale in the Posers section
Col likes this.
u_2504 is offline  
 
#4 Old 01-12-2016
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reken, Germany
Vehicle: Audi TTRS MY2017
Other Toys: Whyte Prst-1, MY2017 Audi A6 allroad Competition, 1/50th Twin Squirrel, 2006 Fabia vRS Hybrid
Posts: 1,903
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Thanks: 108
Thanked 230 Times in 217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbogel View Post
as Topic,

I have a SLK200 r172 and at a glance I see the new SLC is almost the same platform only the lights and the bumper is different, what I wanted to know, can we facelift it plug and play for the SLK to SLC?

as I see nothing is new, will be waste to buy a new one, as mine is only 14k mileage on it.

thank you!
Yes, from comparing photographs it looks like only the front and rear bumper covers are different - the sheet metal looks to be the same. I suspect you will need the complete bumper cover and all ancillaries. From having done this 5 years ago on an Audi TT it will be a case of either spending £2000 on the new parts or waiting until people start crashing them and pick up the used bits off eBay.
wja96 is offline  
#5 Old 01-12-2016
Super Moderator/Founding Member

 
jbanks15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Valrico, Florida
Vehicle: 2009 SLK 55 AMG Kleemann Supercharger, ECU tune, Headers and LSD, CF Diffuser
Posts: 89,520
Country:
Chats: 38
Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6345 Post(s)
Thanks: 3,209
Thanked 10,884 Times in 8,255 Posts
superbogel,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your vehicle (year?: 1996-2016) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum


Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff, US Army Master Sergeant Retired
2009 SLK 55 AMG Black/Black
Kleemann Supercharger thread here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kleemann ECU Tune, headers and downpipes thread here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Albums:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ClearBra
OEM MB Plexiglass Draught Stop
Smarttop version 3.22
Previous - 02 SLK 320, 05 SLK 350
jbanks15 is online now  
#6 Old 01-12-2016
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australia
Vehicle: 2001 SLK320
Posts: 1,031
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Thanks: 22
Thanked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Superbogel, I don't know how you can see nothing new. It seems the SLC is to be the R173.
( Is this confirmed by M-B? )
If so, it's all new, isn't it?, ,,, well maybe not.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned that not only is the V8 gone, it seems so too are the V6s, unless you order the SLC43 AMG.*

Also, if there has to be logic with the naming , changing SLK to SLC, how do buyers make sense of the three digits that follow,
According to what I've seen so far, The 180 is not 1.8L but 1.6L, the 250d is actually a 2.1L diesel, the 300 is a high output 2.0L , the SLC43 is just 3.0L ,
but then, the 200 is actually a 2.0L.*

What is the key to this naming convention ?
Do these numbers indicate the price level? In which currency?

Regards

Yours Sincerely,

Confused

* soucre = Wikipedia, I realise this is not corroborated yet.
Pictor is offline  
#7 Old 01-12-2016
Registered Users
 
CHELZEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario
Vehicle: 2012 SLK 55 AMG
Posts: 903
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
Garage
Thumbs down

Wash your mouth out with soap! Why would you want to turn an SLK into its ugly twin sister, and especially by shoving an AMG badge on the impostor they are defrauding the public

Riots are breaking out in the AMG PL
Col likes this.
CHELZEE is offline  
#8 Old 01-12-2016
Registered Users
 
slk8907's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clemson/Greenville, SC
Vehicle: 2006 SLK55
Other Toys: 2011 SL63, 1979 450SL, 2015 MasterCraft X-2, 2002 SLK32-R.I.P, 2001 SLK320-SOLD
Posts: 175
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 57 Times in 21 Posts
THe shape of the headlights are different, so they would be needed as well
slk8907 is offline  
#9 Old 01-13-2016
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indonesia, Jakarta
Vehicle: Alpine White SLK200 R172 2012-Present
Posts: 48
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delucas View Post
Well one thing you will loose is your real exhaust / chrome tail pipes for false plastic ones built in to the bumper . ??

So real exhaust for faux ones ??
well I am thinking of facelifting my SLK as mine are not bixenon yet and still pretty basic the first time I bought it. for the plastic ones, what I am thinking is cutting the rear bumper to fit in the old exhaust hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_2504 View Post
I wouldn't bother with it unless going for the full blown 43 AMG. That sounds weird not being 55! They look so similar that it takes a semi keen eye to tell them apart
With 14K on the clock, it's just product extension ultimately. I see 3 minor changes with the SLC:

Engines:
-If you want a tad more performance from the 1.8 get it remapped, tuned upto the 250 spec or above (mine was running 239hp 373NM HP no issues...) If you're worried about warranty get a tuning box or Brabus box.
-They usually have some form of reliability flaw at the beginning (e.g. The C Class power steering issues 2015, or the injector issues facing some 2012 diesels atm) so if the facelift bothers you enough, wait a period of time before getting one so you don't have to suffer a potential recall or whatever.

Exterior:
-Lights and body kit. Is the premium worth it for a slightly sleeker body kit and NO exhausts!

Interior:
-The interior in the R172 is already gorgeous. I much prefer it to the interior in my Porsche.

Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to make an SLK into an SLC, otherwise Jeff will have you as a cautionary tale in the Posers section
Hi mate, I dont really care about the warranty, I am ordering a tuningbox and some performance kit for my slk so it will run much better and yes, I seems to like the SLC model more as mine was pretty basic, I know I will have to spend quite a budget, but if its in the budget, I am thinking of extending the use of the car and enjoying it more

Quote:
Originally Posted by wja96 View Post
Yes, from comparing photographs it looks like only the front and rear bumper covers are different - the sheet metal looks to be the same. I suspect you will need the complete bumper cover and all ancillaries. From having done this 5 years ago on an Audi TT it will be a case of either spending £2000 on the new parts or waiting until people start crashing them and pick up the used bits off eBay.
yeah, I believe the parts are not available as its just launch? I would love to have detailed specs on the break down part and so on to get an estimate of costs. and coding for the light I believe will be needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanks15 View Post
superbogel,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your vehicle (year?: 1996-2016) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum


Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator
thank Jeff! I have posted a new member post! cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Superbogel, I don't know how you can see nothing new. It seems the SLC is to be the R173.
( Is this confirmed by M-B? )
If so, it's all new, isn't it?, ,,, well maybe not.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned that not only is the V8 gone, it seems so too are the V6s, unless you order the SLC43 AMG.*

Also, if there has to be logic with the naming , changing SLK to SLC, how do buyers make sense of the three digits that follow,
According to what I've seen so far, The 180 is not 1.8L but 1.6L, the 250d is actually a 2.1L diesel, the 300 is a high output 2.0L , the SLC43 is just 3.0L ,
but then, the 200 is actually a 2.0L.*

What is the key to this naming convention ?
Do these numbers indicate the price level? In which currency?

Regards

Yours Sincerely,

Confused

* soucre = Wikipedia, I realise this is not corroborated yet.
its still a r172 on a different lights and bumper though, from what I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHELZEE View Post
Wash your mouth out with soap! Why would you want to turn an SLK into its ugly twin sister, and especially by shoving an AMG badge on the impostor they are defrauding the public

Riots are breaking out in the AMG PL
well, my slk200 is pretty sucks for the looks and wanted the newer looks hahaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by slk8907 View Post
THe shape of the headlights are different, so they would be needed as well
I am thinking of buying, front headlights, rear stoplamps and full bumper front , sideskirt, and rear bumper, wondering how much would this cost?

u_2504 likes this.
superbogel is offline  
#10 Old 01-13-2016
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reken, Germany
Vehicle: Audi TTRS MY2017
Other Toys: Whyte Prst-1, MY2017 Audi A6 allroad Competition, 1/50th Twin Squirrel, 2006 Fabia vRS Hybrid
Posts: 1,903
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Thanks: 108
Thanked 230 Times in 217 Posts
Headlamps will probably not be easy to swap. Bumpers are easy. The exhaust ports are just in the rear valance which just clips in, so that should be easy to modify if needed.
wja96 is offline  
#11 Old 01-13-2016
Premium Member
 
Delucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KENT
Vehicle: MERCEDES SLK 171 - 09. - SLK KENT GROUP MEET - EVENT ORGANISER
Posts: 4,757
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Thanks: 52
Thanked 342 Times in 320 Posts
Garage
Well if we take in the parts will be brand new to do this job for example .
Cost wise at a guess will cost aproxx £2000.00 - £3000.00
That is the headlights and rear are not stupid prices .

Front bumper
Diamond star grille
Any other parts it will req

Rear bumper
Grilles
Plastics etc

Led lights plus any other kit it may req ?
Rear led lights

Coding / maybe ??

New SLC badge As thats what you want it to be .

Bumpers will have to be painted also cost extra .... ?
Labour id imagine he would do it so no cost there .
Poss coding req ??

So this could be either wait until second hand parts are on the market so cost tumbles .
Or money is no object scenario .
Or trade in your car and get the new SLC ?

Which bracket are you ?
Delucas is online now  
#12 Old 01-14-2016
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indonesia, Jakarta
Vehicle: Alpine White SLK200 R172 2012-Present
Posts: 48
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delucas View Post
Well if we take in the parts will be brand new to do this job for example .
Cost wise at a guess will cost aproxx £2000.00 - £3000.00
That is the headlights and rear are not stupid prices .

Front bumper
Diamond star grille
Any other parts it will req

Rear bumper
Grilles
Plastics etc

Led lights plus any other kit it may req ?
Rear led lights

Coding / maybe ??

New SLC badge As thats what you want it to be .

Bumpers will have to be painted also cost extra .... ?
Labour id imagine he would do it so no cost there .
Poss coding req ??

So this could be either wait until second hand parts are on the market so cost tumbles .
Or money is no object scenario .
Or trade in your car and get the new SLC ?

Which bracket are you ?
if the quote price are from £2000.00 - £3000.00 and included headlights and rear, I believe I still in that bracket haha! well my question is that will we need to code/module for the headlights? as mine are still using the halogen version, very fugly!

is the new parts already available? as the car just launched LOL
superbogel is offline  
#13 Old 01-14-2016
Premium Member
 
Delucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KENT
Vehicle: MERCEDES SLK 171 - 09. - SLK KENT GROUP MEET - EVENT ORGANISER
Posts: 4,757
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Thanks: 52
Thanked 342 Times in 320 Posts
Garage
Anything can be done provided the parts fit well and work as should .
Prices well its a guesstimate on prices of today .
But as always brand new parts are always mega bucks .

The led headlights maybe £1000.00 for one as an example ?
Then that would poss stop you in your tracks .

Its a wait n see me thinks .
Delucas is online now  
#14 Old 01-15-2016
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reken, Germany
Vehicle: Audi TTRS MY2017
Other Toys: Whyte Prst-1, MY2017 Audi A6 allroad Competition, 1/50th Twin Squirrel, 2006 Fabia vRS Hybrid
Posts: 1,903
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Thanks: 108
Thanked 230 Times in 217 Posts
If you have to change the headlamps then I think it would be impractical. New R172 xenon lights are £800 each and I would expect the LED ones to be at least that, probably more.

To upgrade from halogens to xenons is a MASSIVE job. To go to full matrix LEDs will be more because it is partly controlled by the COMAND sat nav system. You will also need the multi-purpose camera, control modules, self levelling units and then all that lot will need coding. If it's possible to do the headlamps alone under £4000 I'd be very surprised based on what people charge to retrofit LEDs to Audis in the UK.

With used parts from a donor car you could do it much cheaper, but the labour aspect will be HUGE.
wja96 is offline  
#15 Old 01-15-2016
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indonesia, Jakarta
Vehicle: Alpine White SLK200 R172 2012-Present
Posts: 48
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delucas View Post
Anything can be done provided the parts fit well and work as should .
Prices well its a guesstimate on prices of today .
But as always brand new parts are always mega bucks .

The led headlights maybe £1000.00 for one as an example ?
Then that would poss stop you in your tracks .

Its a wait n see me thinks .
well yes I believe the headlights is the main problem, and I talked to on eof the local tech, the module is embed in the headlights he says, what we need to know is the wire harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wja96 View Post
If you have to change the headlamps then I think it would be impractical. New R172 xenon lights are £800 each and I would expect the LED ones to be at least that, probably more.

To upgrade from halogens to xenons is a MASSIVE job. To go to full matrix LEDs will be more because it is partly controlled by the COMAND sat nav system. You will also need the multi-purpose camera, control modules, self levelling units and then all that lot will need coding. If it's possible to do the headlamps alone under £4000 I'd be very surprised based on what people charge to retrofit LEDs to Audis in the UK.

With used parts from a donor car you could do it much cheaper, but the labour aspect will be HUGE.
full LED will cost more, but I dont think the headlights will connect to any of the camera and so on, as the LED lights, one of the mechanic told me r172 bixenon already had a module inside it, only problem is the wire harness, so that is the main issue.

and waiting for 2nd part will be a long long time I believe , if we can have the part list it will be a massive help of determining the cost, I am okay with the labor here though haha..
superbogel is offline  
#16 Old 01-16-2016
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reken, Germany
Vehicle: Audi TTRS MY2017
Other Toys: Whyte Prst-1, MY2017 Audi A6 allroad Competition, 1/50th Twin Squirrel, 2006 Fabia vRS Hybrid
Posts: 1,903
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Thanks: 108
Thanked 230 Times in 217 Posts
The problem with the LED headlamps is that they are not controlled by the driver, they are controlled by the car.

They default to full, main beam, illumination unless the car detects an oncoming vehicle (by means of a multipurpose camera mounted by the rear view mirror) or it detects an upcoming corner or it's on a motorway (it knows this from COMAND) when it shapes the beam to see around the corner or to avoid blinding oncoming traffic on the other carriageway of the motorway.

So the ballasts and possibly any control modules may well be built into the lights but they won't work without the other supporting systems unfortunately.

Plus, the whole car now has a different control system driven off the central display and the hockey puck controller by the shifter. So anything electronic will probably require a complete new ECU of some description. It will be possible, but it may not be worth the effort.
wja96 is offline  
#17 Old 02-14-2016
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indonesia, Jakarta
Vehicle: Alpine White SLK200 R172 2012-Present
Posts: 48
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wja96 View Post
The problem with the LED headlamps is that they are not controlled by the driver, they are controlled by the car.

They default to full, main beam, illumination unless the car detects an oncoming vehicle (by means of a multipurpose camera mounted by the rear view mirror) or it detects an upcoming corner or it's on a motorway (it knows this from COMAND) when it shapes the beam to see around the corner or to avoid blinding oncoming traffic on the other carriageway of the motorway.

So the ballasts and possibly any control modules may well be built into the lights but they won't work without the other supporting systems unfortunately.

Plus, the whole car now has a different control system driven off the central display and the hockey puck controller by the shifter. So anything electronic will probably require a complete new ECU of some description. It will be possible, but it may not be worth the effort.
so back quoting on this question, its better to go slk250 amg lights rather SLC then? and does anyone know what do we neeed from slk200 basic halogen light upgrade to slk250 xenon light? what parts do we need and do we need module?

I am also looking forward to upgrade my bumpers to the amg's one, and looking forward for some info, I am open to used parts as I understand the new parts cost insanely expensive
superbogel is offline  
#18 Old 04-03-2016
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Vehicle: SLK 250
Posts: 172
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
any update on this? I am also interested in swapping SLK taillights with SLC ones...
MrKompressor is offline  
#19 Old 04-04-2016
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reken, Germany
Vehicle: Audi TTRS MY2017
Other Toys: Whyte Prst-1, MY2017 Audi A6 allroad Competition, 1/50th Twin Squirrel, 2006 Fabia vRS Hybrid
Posts: 1,903
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Thanks: 108
Thanked 230 Times in 217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKompressor View Post
any update on this? I am also interested in swapping SLK taillights with SLC ones...
From the pictures I've seen, the tail-lights might be a straight swap. Worst case, you need a new rear bumper cover.
MrKompressor likes this.
wja96 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to wja96 For This Useful Post:
#20 Old 04-05-2016
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indonesia, Jakarta
Vehicle: Alpine White SLK200 R172 2012-Present
Posts: 48
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
well we still have not get any parts detailed out yet, so we can not assume it more or less until we have all details
MrKompressor likes this.
superbogel is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to superbogel For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mercedes Benz SLK Forum > Mercedes Benz R172 SLK Class Cars > General Modifications R172

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Upload your files to MEGAUPLOAD
Upload your images to ImageShack

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes Benz SLK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mercedes-Benz SLC with optional Night Package Berliner Heckflosse SLK R172 General Discussion 9 12-30-2015 03:21 AM
2017 Mercedes-Benz SLC Spied Blasting on the Ring, Possible AMG Sport Version Berliner Heckflosse Off Topic 2 11-08-2015 07:05 PM
Facelift Fun and Tips lkchris General Modifications R171 5 02-09-2012 06:43 PM
My facelift progress Wolfman101 General Modifications R171 17 05-30-2011 05:39 PM
Facelift SLK200 Irdium pics... Wondermike SLK R171 General Discussion 9 06-09-2008 09:06 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Clubs, Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.