Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Near Toronto, Ontario
Vehicle: 2012 SLK55 AMG "SCHWARZIE"
Other Toys: Magnum RT and an ugly Civic
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Thanked 574 Times in 535 Posts
There is a brief warning about any group buys (that I can't find at this point in time). For the time being, let this suffice. It will be revised/replaced once the aforementioned post is found.
SLKWorld is not liable for any problems that result out of buying or selling anything posted on this forum. Let the buyer beware.
SLKWorld is not liable for any problems that result out of participating in a Group Buy on this site. Let the buyer beware.
The following points are IN NO WAY a reflection on the OP. It is just a warning that we include in these types of endeavours.
The tips shared in this post are not an exhaustive list. Please also do your own research, for your own location and method of payment, before concluding any transaction.
Practice Safe Second Hand
Please don't let common sense be clouded by what looks like an unbelievable bargain. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
Please take a moment to read the following tips which will help you stay safe when dealing with strangers.
Face to Face is Best
- Although not always possible across a global forum, where possible, meet face to face to see the item and exchange payment.
- When meeting a stranger, always ensure there is someone else with you or meet in a public place.
- Don't take large amounts of cash with you when meeting someone you don't know.
- Unless you are paid in cash, always wait for payment to clear before handing over goods. Remember, in some situations (particularly overseas payments) a payment could still be withdrawn by the bank after it has cleared. Talk to your bank for more information on this.
- If you are being paid cash, study the notes for signs of counterfeit by feeling the paper, studying the printing, checking the watermark, the metallic thread and any other security features of the currency being paid.
- If you are sending an item through the post, always obtain proof of posting and ensure the parcel is adequately insured against loss up to the full value of the item. In some countries, the postal service can provide a "Certificate of Posting" for free, giving compensation for low value items.
- If you are receiving money through PayPal, ensure you meet the requirements of their seller protection scheme. This includes retaining proof of delivery that can be tracked online.
- If you are receiving money through PayPal or other online payment service, don't rely on an email confirmation that you have received funds as this may have been faked. Always log into your account to confirm this by typing the address directly into your browser (don't follow links in the email). Also note that PayPal does NOT hold funds pending delivery of an item.
- If you make a payment before receiving an item, you risk losing that money if the item never arrives or is not as described.
- If you have to make payment before receiving the item, consider paying via PayPal who will often provide compensation should you not receive the item or if it is significantly not as described.
- Note that this buyer protection does not apply if you use the PayPal option to “Send money to friends and family”.
- PayPal Protection is only provided when using the “Pay for goods or services” to send payment.
- For full details of PayPal’s requirements for this protection to apply, please check their terms and conditions.
- If you make a payment to someone by crediting their bank account via Internet banking or BACS, that payment cannot later be reversed.
- There are other methods of paying people online. Please check the terms of whichever service you are using to ensure you have the protection you need.
- It pays to have a vehicle history and outstanding credit check done when purchasing a second hand vehicle. This check may help you determine whether a car has been clocked, stolen or is a repaired insurance write off.
- Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
“I can’t give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give
you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”
Herbert Bayard Swope