Defroster - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

General Discussion Topics must pertain to all 3 generations of SLK - R170, R171 and R172

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 12-15-2008
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Vehicle: 2008 SLK 350
Posts: 3
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Question Defroster

My SLK350 is a 2008. when I run the defroster it blows very hot air at high volume. there is only one setting. My Mercedes dealer has said there is no way to adjust it. I have to open the windows so I don't suffocate when running the defroster. Is this your experience?
mycar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 12-15-2008
Registered Users
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York City
Vehicle: 2008 SLK 55
Other Toys: *Nismo, 120 Lbs. American Staffordshire Pit Bull Terrier
Posts: 135
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 91
Thanked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MaKEuhigh
You can adjust the temp, Right?
MaKEuhigh is offline  
#3 Old 12-15-2008
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle: 2005 SLK350 6MT
Posts: 53
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 18
Thanked 32 Times in 12 Posts
It's the same in my 2005 350... An enormous rush of extremely hot air. I typically only leave it on long enough to get rid of the worst of the condensation (usually after driving into an underground parkade after being out in the rain), then switch over to setting the climate control to maximum fan (also extremely strong) but with a lower temperature.

I'm not going to complain about this to be honest, as it clears up the windows faster than pretty much any other car I've driven, which is a big plus in my books.
SLK James is offline  
 
#4 Old 12-16-2008
DansSlk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Chats:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I don't want to sound like an ass but that is the point of the defroster, it clears as fast as possible and then you can switch it off again.
#5 Old 12-16-2008
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lancashire UK
Vehicle: 1999 SLK 230 - Silver
Other Toys: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 170; MB A170 (W169) ; Vauxhall Corsa; Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster
Posts: 165
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 40
Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I have to agree with Dan. My VW Passat does exactly the same.

You set to defrost, the windows clear and in my case, I reset the heater to auto.

John
jst_at_home is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jst_at_home For This Useful Post:
#6 Old 12-16-2008
Registered Users
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle: 2005 SLK-350, Black on two-tone biege/black
Posts: 272
Country:
Chats: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 71 Times in 46 Posts
It is the same in my SLK.

Although I have found a use for it in the current freezing weather in Seattle (it's been under 0 deg celsius all week): When I first get in the car, I turn on the AirScarf to get the car warm, then as I feel it come on, I hit the defroster. Warms the car up REALLY fast. Faster than my Lexus LS430 ever could.
linuxpro is offline  
#7 Old 12-16-2008
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Atlanta (Lawrenceville) GA
Vehicle: 2007 Mars Red/Black SLK55 AMG
Other Toys: 1968 Pontiac GTO, 2013 E63 AMG Wagon
Posts: 2,656
Country:
Chats: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,243
Thanked 513 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DansSlk View Post
I don't want to sound like an ass but that is the point of the defroster, it clears as fast as possible and then you can switch it off again.
I agree with you and PM sent!
dltslk is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dltslk For This Useful Post:
#8 Old 12-17-2008
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London
Vehicle: 2011 Lexus IS-F, SLK 350 sold
Posts: 398
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 77
Thanked 94 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpro View Post
It is the same in my SLK.

Although I have found a use for it in the current freezing weather in Seattle (it's been under 0 deg celsius all week): When I first get in the car, I turn on the AirScarf to get the car warm, then as I feel it come on, I hit the defroster. Warms the car up REALLY fast. Faster than my Lexus LS430 ever could.
Strange I stopped using the Airscarf as i found it actually increased the window misting until the car had warmed up - agree warms the cabin up quicker though Definately found the dehumidifying effect of the aircon in the SLK is quite low; at startup it takes a fair while to clear.

Have also found can be driving along with everything set to Auto and start to get it misting up for a few seconds before it starts to clear again but this could be more to the fact the humidity sensor is trying to keep the air as humid as possible without steaming up? Anyone else get this?
Valkirk is offline  
#9 Old 12-17-2008
aka John

 
UK-C200's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richmond, Tx
Vehicle: LHD Black SLK350, LHD Firemist SLK55
Other Toys: Nacra F18
Posts: 13,012
Country:
Chats: 1143
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,712
Thanked 2,920 Times in 2,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkirk View Post
Have also found can be driving along with everything set to Auto and start to get it misting up for a few seconds before it starts to clear again but this could be more to the fact the humidity sensor is trying to keep the air as humid as possible without steaming up? Anyone else get this?
Hey Valkirk - yes, I've found the same on my C, and in discussing with the dealer, was told it's the "fresh air" feature. Evidently every once in a while (30 minutes?) when you are set to "auto" you car decides to draw in fresh air from the outside. Living in the UK, this air is usually much more moist than the air in the car, and will cause some misting...

Not sure that's a 100% accurate answer, but it explains what I see, so I was satisfied!



UK-C200 is offline  
#10 Old 12-17-2008
DansSlk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Chats:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
That would suggest the system is otherwise on recirc and that isn't accurate, by design it should not mist up at all but loads of them do including mine.

Out of curiosity does this start on the passenger side of the car and make its way down the pass side and over the windscreen? Just to see if we are talking about the same thing here.

If it happens try taking it out of Auto and using the defrost then put it back into Auto, the reset seems to help.
#11 Old 12-18-2008
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London
Vehicle: 2011 Lexus IS-F, SLK 350 sold
Posts: 398
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 77
Thanked 94 Times in 51 Posts
It starts at the edges of the windscreen and the side windows then spreads inwards. It has on a couple of occasions really gone berserk where the temp and humidity in the car raises dramatically (Talking feels like just driven into a jungle) in a few seconds then everything starts steaming up.

Yes hit the demist button and then back to auto and it's fine; reckon it's a problem with the humidity sensor and the way the system works on the SLK which rather than the air con just full out drying and cooling / conditioning the air it tries to bring the moisture level back up.
Valkirk is offline  
#12 Old 12-18-2008
DansSlk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Chats:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkirk View Post
It starts at the edges of the windscreen and the side windows then spreads inwards. It has on a couple of occasions really gone berserk where the temp and humidity in the car raises dramatically (Talking feels like just driven into a jungle) in a few seconds then everything starts steaming up.

Yes hit the demist button and then back to auto and it's fine; reckon it's a problem with the humidity sensor and the way the system works on the SLK which rather than the air con just full out drying and cooling / conditioning the air it tries to bring the moisture level back up.
Sounds like we are talking about the same thing, you can end up with a whole side of the car steamed up right? (normally the pass side?)

The funny thing is the SLK doesn't sense the humidity in the cabin, only the humidity in the intake is measured so it should dry the air whenever the AC is on and i think thats more likely the problem area as the system cycles the AC especially in our cold climate, so outside air drawn into the cabin and heated but not dehumidified contacts the cold glass and condenses.
#13 Old 12-18-2008
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London
Vehicle: 2011 Lexus IS-F, SLK 350 sold
Posts: 398
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 77
Thanked 94 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DansSlk View Post
Sounds like we are talking about the same thing, you can end up with a whole side of the car steamed up right? (normally the pass side?)

The funny thing is the SLK doesn't sense the humidity in the cabin, only the humidity in the intake is measured so it should dry the air whenever the AC is on and i think thats more likely the problem area as the system cycles the AC especially in our cold climate, so outside air drawn into the cabin and heated but not dehumidified contacts the cold glass and condenses.
Ahh that would explain - pretty stupid design fault if you ask me having only 1 sensor on the intake How do they know what the humidity is in the cabin itself? 1 on intake and 1 in cabin would allow them to keep a much better flow of correctly humidified air flowing in and stop the steaming. Even just 1 in the cabin would be better as it could then feedback - dry more / dry less etc. Having no sensor in the final destination for the air really doesn't make sense - well to me anyway!

On mine it's drivers and passengers - the system works ok but considering it is meant to be an all singing all dancing Ł400-550 upgrade from the standard aircon unit it's a bit poor to be suffering from any steaming when set on Auto and the car warmed up.
Valkirk is offline  
#14 Old 12-18-2008
DansSlk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Chats:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkirk View Post
Ahh that would explain - pretty stupid design fault if you ask me having only 1 sensor on the intake How do they know what the humidity is in the cabin itself? 1 on intake and 1 in cabin would allow them to keep a much better flow of correctly humidified air flowing in and stop the steaming. Even just 1 in the cabin would be better as it could then feedback - dry more / dry less etc. Having no sensor in the final destination for the air really doesn't make sense - well to me anyway!
I have no idea, its MB logic for you mate.

It does make more sense to have redundant sensing in more than one location for all the paramaters.
#15 Old 12-19-2008
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London
Vehicle: 2011 Lexus IS-F, SLK 350 sold
Posts: 398
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 77
Thanked 94 Times in 51 Posts
It also makes sense thinking about how if i happen to start whistling or singing in the car it mists up much quicker....the extra hot air (Or is that just the car trying to hide?! )
Valkirk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mercedes Benz SLK Forum > General Discussion about Mercedes Benz SLKs > General Discussion

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Upload your files to MEGAUPLOAD
Upload your images to ImageShack

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes Benz SLK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Clubs, Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.