Creative use of the SOS button? - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

General Discussion Topics must pertain to all 3 generations of SLK - R170, R171 and R172

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 12-12-2008
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 89
Chats: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 14
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Creative use of the SOS button?

I don't have teleaid, so my SOS button just sits there glowing red and saying 'SOS' all the time, as if there were an emergency. I don't know about you, but the fact that it glows red, and that you push it to open up access to a secret red button, makes me want to make it do something. I'm willing to spend some hours working on it... who has some good ideas? (Ejection seats are out of the question.)
jd320 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 12-12-2008
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Vehicle: 2009 SLK 350 Sport Motor
Other Toys: 2008 C300
Posts: 1,495
Country:
Chats: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 217
Thanked 156 Times in 122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd320 View Post
I don't have teleaid, so my SOS button just sits there glowing red and saying 'SOS' all the time, as if there were an emergency. I don't know about you, but the fact that it glows red, and that you push it to open up access to a secret red button, makes me want to make it do something. I'm willing to spend some hours working on it... who has some good ideas? (Ejection seats are out of the question.)
Wow. I wasn't going to subscribe on my pre-owned SLK when I get it. I didn't know it would be glowing all the time. Thats a bit disappointing.

Hope you find a cool solution for yours.
mb911 is offline  
#3 Old 12-13-2008
Over 100,000 miles!!!
 
SLKman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spring Texas
Vehicle: 2000 Copper AMG Designo Limited Edition Sport
Other Toys: Just my SLK
Posts: 2,092
Country:
Chats: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,243
Thanked 479 Times in 239 Posts
Garage
My SLK230 has that big orange Triangle for hazards. I have been thinking of "Blacking" it out with a magic marker or paint.

Maybe you can do the same with yours?

SLKman


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SLKman is offline  
 
#4 Old 12-13-2008
Thread Hijacker
 
dmjonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Vehicle: formerly 2001 SLK320, and 2006 55AMG. Shopping again.
Other Toys: MB E550 4matic, MB C300, Saab 9-3, PT Cruiser, Ram 1500, 737-700/800
Posts: 2,798
Country:
Chats: 1599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 652
Thanked 782 Times in 401 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to dmjonez Send a message via Skype™ to dmjonez
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLKman View Post
My SLK230 has that big orange Triangle for hazards. I have been thinking of "Blacking" it out with a magic marker or paint.

Maybe you can do the same with yours?

SLKman
Naw, it's got to be something cool, like ejection seats...

How about having it turn on your seat heater or pop your trunk? Maybe that's too pedestrian. How about getting one of those lights for the MB logo in the grill and have that be the switch? Or have it be the switch for the lighted wind-blocker? Or how about adding an aux horn, and have that be the switch? And make the horn be a really big train whistle...

I'm bored tonight. Is it obvious?
dmjonez is offline  
#5 Old 12-13-2008
Over 100,000 miles!!!
 
SLKman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spring Texas
Vehicle: 2000 Copper AMG Designo Limited Edition Sport
Other Toys: Just my SLK
Posts: 2,092
Country:
Chats: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,243
Thanked 479 Times in 239 Posts
Garage
Ha ha my 25 year old neighbor put a train horn under his SUV hood and blasted it a few times. 3 police cars converged upon his home in a matter of minutes. I still have not got the whole story but I bet it was not good. LOL

That thing shook the windows in the house! That would be AWESOME on an SLK!

How about make the windows tint when you push the button?
or lower the front end a few inches before you race someone from the red light. (That would be intimidating to see the car lower to a race position!)

SLKman


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SLKman is offline  
#6 Old 12-14-2008
Thread Hijacker
 
dmjonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Vehicle: formerly 2001 SLK320, and 2006 55AMG. Shopping again.
Other Toys: MB E550 4matic, MB C300, Saab 9-3, PT Cruiser, Ram 1500, 737-700/800
Posts: 2,798
Country:
Chats: 1599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 652
Thanked 782 Times in 401 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to dmjonez Send a message via Skype™ to dmjonez
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLKman View Post
Ha ha my 25 year old neighbor put a train horn under his SUV hood and blasted it a few times. 3 police cars converged upon his home in a matter of minutes. I still have not got the whole story but I bet it was not good. LOL

That thing shook the windows in the house! That would be AWESOME on an SLK!

How about make the windows tint when you push the button?
or lower the front end a few inches before you race someone from the red light. (That would be intimidating to see the car lower to a race position!)

SLKman
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about...
dmjonez is offline  
#7 Old 12-14-2008
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 89
Chats: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 14
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
You guys have great ideas. I like the lower the front end idea pretty well... can you have the windows change their tint? I wasn't aware of such a thing. Also about the train whistle, that gave me the idea of having a second 'la cocarocha' horn that could be activated by the red button. Excellent ideas!
jd320 is offline  
#8 Old 12-14-2008
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 89
Chats: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 14
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Addendum: I've thought in the past of having an LED scrolling message board in the back window, that I can program with a set of messages that can say things like: "You drive like crap", "Use your blinker", etc. Maybe the button could activate this?
jd320 is offline  
#9 Old 12-14-2008
Thread Hijacker
 
dmjonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Vehicle: formerly 2001 SLK320, and 2006 55AMG. Shopping again.
Other Toys: MB E550 4matic, MB C300, Saab 9-3, PT Cruiser, Ram 1500, 737-700/800
Posts: 2,798
Country:
Chats: 1599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 652
Thanked 782 Times in 401 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to dmjonez Send a message via Skype™ to dmjonez
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd320 View Post
Addendum: I've thought in the past of having an LED scrolling message board in the back window, that I can program with a set of messages that can say things like: "You drive like crap", "Use your blinker", etc. Maybe the button could activate this?
I bet you could get one of the lighted Windblockers (sold by one of the forum sponsors) to say just that and then wire the lights to the switch. Might not be practical, but it would be as funny as anything I've ever seen.
dmjonez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mercedes Benz SLK Forum > General Discussion about Mercedes Benz SLKs > General Discussion

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Upload your files to MEGAUPLOAD
Upload your images to ImageShack

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes Benz SLK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
libertycrab
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tele-Aid/SOS vs. using your own cell phone carver General Discussion 4 03-30-2011 01:34 PM
Panic button steviedons SLK R170 General Discussion 2 03-20-2009 08:45 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Clubs, Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.