Well I picked my (new to me) 06 SLK55 up on Tuesday. SO far I have enjoyed top down driving just about everywhere I go.
Here are some of my first Impressions:
things I dislike:
1. cupholders are pretty cheesy. now I understand its a sports car and as such you dont really "need" a place to put your drink, however as this car is my daily driver I really enjoy a cup of coffee on the way to work in the morning. I have a cup that fits pretty good, but with the superb cornering of the AMG I find I keep reaching for the cup as it seems like it going to fly out of the holder
2. Sirius Radio seriously SUCKS! - I dont mean the programming per se but the actual data stream... I have had XM in my last 2 cars, and my wifes. Im not sure if XM has a larger buffer that is stored on board or what, but I have noticed with the Sirius Radio in the 55, even a little tree cover will cause the signal to drop... it comes right back in but how annoying is trying to JAM out with the top down only to have it skip play mid song... hopefully as XM and Sirius have merged something will change in the future, (has anyone else had this issue?)
3. Can't operate the vario roof as slow speeds, ie pulling into a driveway, or rolling up to a traffic light.... this will be remedied with a roof module, I understand why its this way, just an annoying thing
4. the Seat adjustments are horrible, the system tries to help too much, I want to move up and recline it decides it should move a different way. after playing with it for a few minutes, I got a position I liked and put it in memory!
THINGS I DO LIKE!
1. its an AMG!
2. its beautiful!
3. the Air Scarf is Awesome on cold nights or chilly mornings.
4. the seats hug you just like a sportscar should feel!
5. the boot is large enough for my laptop bag and my rescue gear. (was worried coming from H2)
6. the braking and power are so well balanced (of course it should be :P) I was on the highway and an empty box blew out of a truck, I was able to brake in time to avoid it, safely change lanes and accelerate out of the other cars way all within a split second.
Overall I am quite please with my new toy! the gripes I have are not really issues and some can be fixed pretty easily. thanks again to all the great people on this forum. I guess now that I "joined the SLK club" i need to join SLKworld. so I just got a GOLD subscription!