I just had a bad gut feeling when the Kleeman dealer was saying no to the x-pipe, kinda makes you wonder if you want to take your car to have anything done at such a dealer.
I really don't want to just purchase and the ntake to someone because of concerns of any issues and because I supplied such basically my problem.
The x-pipe appears to be pretty simple and shouldn't be a concern but the headers could be a different story.
How long did it take the guys to do your work?
Yeah, not sure what your dealer is up to - sorta flys in the face of conventional wisdom for any twin exhaust motor.
Couple of things to keep in mind. First, I wanted to be able to go back to stock easily in the event I ended up with something I didn't like. With that in mind, and given that I was working with a great shop, I decided to go for a full 2.5 stainless system from front to back. Second, the Kleemann headers have crap placement for the drivers side o2 sensor, so went into it knowing that we'd have to plug and re-drill at least one side.
As it turns out, I'd do a couple of things differently. The Kleemann headers, while very well made, do not fit the R171 very well. o2 sensor placement aside, there is almost no clearance on the drivers side between the heat shield and the body of the collector on the cat. Simply bending the pipes better would have solved this problem, and Arno and I (and evidently others) have reported this to Kleemann, but they have not changed the design.
Second thing is I think I would simply unbolt the front section, and just fab up a custom front section. This would give me my "return to factory" feeling, and I honestly think given me 90% of the performance change and noise I wanted. This would have been a very logical step in hindsight, and if I decided I wanted to then delete the resonator, I could have unbolted the rear section and had that modified as a second step adding the x-pipe.
If you don't want to retain the factory parts, I also would forgo the entire re-piping of the front section - I'd just remove the front cats, add the high-flows, and then weld into the existing tubing back to the secondary cats. I'd then cut just in front of the secondarys, and pipe straight into an x-pipe, or as I said above, into the center resonator.
I think the headers worked out to about 3 hours, as due to the re-drilling and extremely tight fit we had to jack up the motor a bit to get them in place, and then wasted some time trying to figure out if we could increase the clearance. The full fab of the 2.5 tubing took about another 3 hours, and more welds than I want to think about! :-)
I'm quite happy with what I ended up with, but as I said in my thread - it's on the marginal side of civil - I'd be waking up the neighbors if I stepped on it on the way out of the driveway! :-)