Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slk 300 vs 2006 350z

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Blown SLK55 
#1 ·
Ok, so it was me versus my buddy's friend's 2006 350Z. His car is a 6 speed manual, coupe and the only mods he has done that I know of is an exhaust system. He claims to have 255 rwhp if that sounds right. We were on a side road with two lanes around 11pm, no other cars, well lit and reasonably wide.

We started from a 20 roll up to around 80, I forgot the exact speed we shut down at, but it wasn't in the triple digits. We did two runs and he slowly walked me both times, but only up to 1 car length, then we shut down. Both his and my car had a passenger and my car was loaded to capacity with luggage. Does this sound about right or could I have done better? Either way, i'm pleased with the way my car performed against a car with more power!

#2 ·
It sounds about right given all the facts, but you could have done better with less weight in the car -- even if he had less weight in his because less weight always benefits the car with less hp and torque.

Did you take advantage of your "shift at red line" feature by holding the shifter toward you one second before the "drive"?

#7 ·
Sure. With your car at a stop or going very slowly, simply hold the shifter toward you for about a second. Without doing anything else, the 7 sp. auto will shift at red line. This function also allows an up-shift by flicking the shifter toward the passenger side. It was use of this function that let my SLK 280 out run my Honda S 2000 0 to 60.

#10 ·
does this work with the SLK 200 5sp?

and does that mean when you say flicking toward the passenger side it means the driver side for me?

#15 ·
I don't know all about 350Zs, he said it was dynoed at 255 rwhp... I just found out from my friend that he also has throttle body spacers, whatever gain that's supposed to give. Keep in mind, I don't know the owner of the 350Z and he could of likely been making these numbers up!

I didn't use the "shift at redline" function as I didn't know about it at the time. I just clicked the paddle shift + whenever it neared 6500 rpms. I'll have to try this function later on.

Algrensan; yes we used the three honk thingy, lol. I don't usually like that as the person honking knows exactly when to go as opposed to the other driver having to "listen" for the last honk therefore being all reaction based. I was the guy honking :biglaugh:

Last, what is the sprint booster that you speak of? Honestly never hear of it.

#18 ·
Yes, shift at red line works anytime you are in a numbered gear, and not drive. On acceleration, the same thing will happen in D at full throttle, but will shift to a higher gear when you release the throttle. If you are on a road course, you might not want that.

#19 ·
255 rwhp for a stock/near stock Z is very accurate. Nearly all Z's post between 249 - 259 rwhp in stock configuration. BTW, the OP indicated a manual tranny. As a rule of thumb, subtract 15% crank to obtain rwhp for manual equipped car...the subtractor is ~ 20% & 25% for automatic & 4WD configurations respectively. Hope this helps.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.