Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Basic SLK Questions

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  LordVader 
#1 ·
Hi guys. Not only am I a new member to the forums here, but I'm also fairly new to the Mercedes SLK. My situation on the surface is simple, my BMW is about to have a heart attack and the only car that I would ever think of replacing it with is the SLK.

What I'm curious about though, is something only those really familiar with the model of this car can answer. I'm doing my research right now, pricing out the different models in the 2009, and at the same time, looking at some older models (used of course), ranging back to 2006.

Bottom line, I'm after "bang for buck." I want a solid SLK that wont break the bank at the same time. Mileage/wear and tear aside, what updates have there really been since the 2006's? I ask this in both an engine sense and interior sense. Is there a certain year some of you prefer over others? Are the '09's really THAT much better which warrent paying 70+k?

Any help guiding me in the right direction is much appreciated. I thank you for your time and for having me here on the forums. Take care!

#3 ·
My $.02? The price point on the older SLK's - used as opposed to new - and the expectation that they are going to continue to free-fall price wise, I'd not be looking to tie money up in a new one.

Other than the '350 where the engine is completely new for '09, only the electronics really differ. If I were shopping for a '55, I'd be looking hard at the '07's, and for a '350, any year would do...

There are various threads discussing the pros and cons, so spend some time reading.

#6 ·
I'd like to first thank all of you for your replies. They're much appreciated.

Other than the '350 where the engine is completely new for '09, only the electronics really differ. If I were shopping for a '55, I'd be looking hard at the '07's, and for a '350, any year would do...

There are various threads discussing the pros and cons, so spend some time reading.
If I may ask, how do the electronics differ? I'm no car expert obviously, so do you refer to just interior controls or how the car runs? Also, if you know of any threads that would be a good read, I'd really appreciate a link. I'll definately be doing my reading though, thanks for the help!

@jbank
Sure thing. I'll get on it right now actually.

#4 ·
Welcome! please update your location in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale.

usercp, edit your profile, location.

#5 ·
Addicted's SLK is honestly the best bang for the buck i've ever seen! It's heartbreaking to see such a beauty go, and one can only hope it finds a great owner. Besides that I would personally suggest you get a used SLK.

2 months ago i bought my 06 SLK 350 fully loaded except lighting package and I paid 24k out-the-door. Clean title, no paint work ever done, and manufacture's warranty. It has 43,000 miles on it, so I still have 7k of originial warranty left.

Another helpful suggestion is that if you are buying a used from a mercedes benz dealership buy a CPO (certified pre-owned). I learned recently that if you buy a NON-CPO car from mercedes dealership they will not sell you an extended warranty. However, if you buy from a private seller or smaller non-mercedes dealership they will sell you an extended warranty.

Hope you enjoy the SLK if you get one! Remember not only are you getting a great car this forum has a bunch of great people that can help you with any questions!

#7 ·
Vader - the COMAND system - basically the navigation and control system - in the '09s was seriously updated, and is now "on par" with aftermarket systems. This new system is referred to as "COMAND NGT 2.5".

The older systems are basically all based on 2004 technology, so obviously are getting a bit dated. Still work fine, just not as nice as the NGT2.5 units. Really makes zero difference in how the car "runs" but does make integrating an iPod, Bluetooth phone, and other types of media much easier.

#9 ·
r170 and r171 is the model name for want of a correct name. the 230 and 320 belongs to r170 the 200,280,300,350,slk55 belong to r171. r170 went from i believe 98 -2004 and r171 from 04 through current year

#11 ·
Hm, ok, thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it. From all the reading/pricing I've been doing, have 1 more Mercedes dealership to check out tomorrow, I'll be probably shooting for a used '07. I'm finding a few good '350's, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the '55.

Another few brief questions. Insurance of course is pending on individuals age and record, so I don't want to get into specifics...but if I may just ask, how do you guys feel the insurance costs on the car are? Do you find them a bit too high? Unreasonable? Reasonable? I was just hoping for some feedback from that standpoint.

Also, the MPG seem to be varying greatly, either this is due to modifications on the car which I may not be aware of, or different years are getting different miles to the gallon. Do any of you know which model gets the best mpg? Or perhaps a even better way of asking it is, which one do you think is the best route to go, taking into account the speed of the engine and mpg. Remember, all opinion so I'd be happy to hear any and all views.

#14 ·
My previous 05 SLK350 (I got it new) has a much better insurance rate than my 95 - E36 Convertible. The agent told me that MB is much more safer than a 9 years old Bimmer, plus it is probably less to repair comparatively. Then my insurance got even lower when I changed to the 06 55 (used CPO) which was totally unexpected:)with that much more power.:confused:

As for Mileage, the 350 is probably the best balance between mileage and power, especially the 09 350 which has more power and even consume less gas. If gas usage is a concern (this is your only car and you use it to communte daily), then my recommendation is to go with 350.

However, if you are looking for the most fun SLK, it will be hands down on the 55, so much power and torque. The sound of the V8 is simply additive, I still get excited every time I turn the key. :D

#12 ·
Insurance for me is pretty good (Not too much more than a Lexus RX) but again depends more on the person.

MPG of course the 200 will be best but I find the 350 isn't bad at all (Keep in mind these are UK figures which diff from US) I get about 31-32MPG on long run and about 21-22MPG around town.

#13 ·
The MPG varies mostly based on how you drive the car. My SLK55 MPG has ranged from 14 mpg for a whole tank when I was driving the most aggressive on the road to 26 mpg when cruising on the highway. I'm sure I could consistently get in the 20s, but the throttle is constantly begging me to open it up.

#15 ·
About insurance, I insure 5 cars: '08 BMW X3, '07 Saab 9-3, '04 Chrysler PT Cruiser, '00 Ford F-150, and my '01 SLK 320. Rates for each car are within tens of dollars (except the one with my teenage son, but that's a different story). I'm in the market for a newer 55, and my company said my rate would increase about $20 a month. You could probably equate that to the car being newer more than the increase in performance.

So I don't think there's much of an insurance downside...

dj

#20 ·
Sorry about the profile, I went on yesterday but I was getting constant error messages. I'm also in the middle of a move...the computer being the last piece I take down so its a bit hectic.

I want to thank all of you though for the replies again. Your help has been greatly appreciated. The insurance has me slightly worried, but I'll have to take a closer look at the numbers when it comes down to crunch time.

I've been reviewing the forums, and what I'm trying to find is a good thread/source that goes into detail about the SLK engine. I trust your opinions/reviews more than a standard website...you guys have experienced the engines, you've driven them, and give honest reviews on what you liked/didn't like. With that being said, any ideas where I could find reviews on the '280 vs '350 vs '55? If not, feel free to just say what you like about the year/make of your car, love to hear your opinions on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.