Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rust everywhere

6K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  BigFatBloke 
#1 ·
Guys

So I have spent most evenings and weekend and a fair few hundreds of GBP lovingly restoring my 2000 230K SLK.

The list is endless that has been replaced for new or at the very least refurbed. So I got the car for pennies due to a clogged trans box filter. That sorted (new filter and trans fluid) I enjoyed the summer with wind on my scalp as I replaced part after part and the car started to show me how it could dive.

Then the gearbox went again. Loud whine, no power to the wheels and so on. One thing I noticed at the time was steam coming from the underside of the car. Quick check of coolant level which was just topped up and it had fallen. Left it in idle for a while then a while later the whine went down and drive came back.

So assumption is rad core had blown and coolent was getting into trans fluid, so new rad ordered. On taking out the old rad, the lower support bracket was rusted so bad that a finger could be poked through with ease. Maybe the cause of the rad failure. Rad moving around too much. Anyway back to point of this thread (btw the waffle has info some may find useful so no flames please).

I removed the front bumper and inner wings to find the front wings/fenders were rotten at the bracket. I searched the epc, this forum, the net and found lots of people asking what the part number is but no replies. So attached is the photo of the part I need. It's the L shaped which welded to chassis and bolted to wing.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9796/vvfi.jpg

If anyone knows if this or definitely not available then please let me know. Otherwise I will fabricate one. Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Post your vin

#6 ·
any way to circle the part with 'paint'?

#5 ·
so is it part of the radiator do you think or the bumper?

#7 ·
do you see it? this is frame

Attachments

#8 ·
datacard 4 u

Attachments

#9 ·
Jeff sir, you are a gent. Thank you very much for the data card and posts. As I am at work still, I couldn't take anymore photos, but my wife could :), so she has taken these, emailed them to me and I have added some annotations to indicate where the bracket is. It not part for the rad structure, but the wing\fender. I know it cant be part of the wing as its welded (unless it comes with a new wing\fender) to the body and the wing is bolted to it

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/3503/ivhk.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img89/9892/dwpr.jpg

Many many thanks again

#10 ·
standby... will continue search

#11 ·
still looking....let me know if u see it

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks Jeff, nope, those are part of the fender lining which I had to remove and which actually highlighted the fact the bracket was rotten as when I tried to remove part 140 the whole bracket fell apart. Item 140 holder the bumper to the fender and screws into the light housing

#13 ·
No luck. I think it comes with a new fender

#15 ·
Maybe one of our other epc access members will locate it but I checked every section

#17 ·
I noticed that also!!!

#18 ·
the part that the wing bolts to in the join between wing and bumper is welded to the inner wing and comes as part of the inner wing assy so you will have to fab a part to replace it there is a metal strip that is part of the fastening between wing and bumper that is available cheeply from Mercedes. the wings themselves are not too expensive from Mercedes either less than £200 each

#20 ·
if its the brackets at the front of the inner wing on my pics there simple to fab up just tack them on and trial fit the wings and bumper to make sure it all lines up before welding them on you may need the special bolts that bolt that area of the wing through the bracket into the metal strip that's locating the bumper also, 4 of them. there sort of a double ended bolt with the nut/spanner part in the middle you usualy have to cut these when removing them as there rusted solid

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.