Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Member Slk55 AMG Purchase

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  mtiede 
#1 ·
Hi to you all

I seriously considering ordering a facelift 08 slk 55 amg but would like some friendly help from all of you out there that have all the experience and knowledge.

What are Green Filters and what do they achieve?

I have read that the 7 speed transmission is somewhat smart and that it adjusts itself to the type of driver you are(If you are racy its sharp but if you are soft over time the transmission is the same.Is this correct.?I also read that you can buy some device to fix this.
Does the performance pack make any difference if the above is correct.

Is there a worthwhile ECU upgrade available and if not is there a reasonably priced power upgrade suggestion.

Can you run 19" rims with 265/30 on the back and if so what offset do you need on the rim.

What exhaust mods would you suggest that dont' cost a house.

Sorry for the rant... but the test drive confirmed I am hooked but I would like to refine the slk even more.Would very much appreciate anyones suggestions or help.:):):)

See less See more
#3 ·
Green filters are drop in air filters that are much better than those of the oem, the oem filters are ones that are used on all SLK's and not specifically designed for the higher performance models. By changing the filter you can get better MPG, Whooshing nice noise from the engine whilst revving and a slight increase in power.

An affordable exhaust solution is removing the dreaded factory resonator and changing it with an X pipe, it will increase the noise and make the car as loud or slightly louder than an SL55 with that deep burble.

Ecu upgrades are available from DMS, Kleemann, Powerchip, MKB, Vaeth and Carlsson.

Welcome to the forum.

#4 ·
Welcome gazza1. Drive the 55 for a while before doing the upgrades. I know how one can get quite excited about the things we want to do, i.e., modifications.

Green Air Filters add about 9hp and improves fuel consumption (see prior posts by FishtailnZ) and is an inexpensive and reversible modification. The 7G auto transmission is adaptive and will learn your driving habits over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.