Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Possible to Retro Fit Factory car kit to 2005 SLK 55 AMG?

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  BradSLK55(IN) 
#1 ·
I tried the search function but couldnt find what I was looking for, I remember reading a while ago that early 55 AMG's had been pre wired for the factory phone kit, but later ones had not, Can anyone verify this? Id really like to install the factory phone kit? But, id like to know what all I would need to do? I know Dan is the God of all things slk and was hoping someone could maybe give me a breakdown of what all I will need, and if indeed my car does have any pre wiring?

Its an October 2005 SLK 55 AMG

Thanks in advance for any help :hail:

#2 ·
AMG Mike...

My 2005 SLK-350 was pre-wired, but not sure about the AMGs.

One thing you can do that's super easy is check your centre console storage.

Pop off the little cover at the bottom of the lid. If you have an electrical wire and antenna wire in there, I think you are good to go.

Look at page 10, figure 22 of this document and you'll see the cover I'm referring to. You do not have to remove the screws to take the cover off.
http://www.billsden.org/fileadmin/media/mercedes/slk/docs/proc_p_i_82_70_416b.pdf

I did my own phone install (and iPod and Sirius). The phone install is quite easy in my view, not cheap, but easy.

Let me know if you need part numbers.

Cheers!

Dang

Reactions: AMG Mike
#3 ·
Pre-wire for US spec vehicles means you still have to get 3 things: the core kit, completer kit and the Bluetooth puck. I do not know how it is in Euro spec vehicles.

#4 ·
#6 ·
etyu....

That's curious. I have different numbers and prices than you for the module and the completer. Perhaps they have been revised?

For me the parts were:
Q-6-82-0967 MHI Control Module $512.50
Q-6-82-0964 SLK Completer Kit $524.80
Q-6-87-5878 Bluetooth Module $404.26

Total $1,441.56

My SLK Completer Kit actually came with the microphone array, though ironically my car already had them, so I didn't need it. The only thing I needed in addition to these parts were 4 nuts (#8 I think?) from the local hardware store for the bracket since I didn't have the teleaid module.

I can recommend Keith at Mercedes of Westwood for parts. (781) 688-1151.

I installed mine myself. It's really quite easy, or any stereo shop should be able to do it. You'll need a set of Torx (including an 8 size), and that's pretty much it. Once you have your system installed, just try it before doing anything with the microphone array. If they are already in there, it will just work!

Note I (and I think etyu) didn't install the linear compensator. If you are going Bluetooth, you don't need it.

You "might" need a dealer or mechanic with Star to enable the telephone on your display. If you cycle through the instrument cluster menus and TEL comes up now, you won't. If it's doesn't, you probably will.

Cheers!

Dang

Reactions: AMG Mike
#8 · (Edited)
etyu....

That's curious. I have different numbers and prices than you for the module and the completer. Perhaps they have been revised?

For me the parts were:
Q-6-82-0967 MHI Control Module $512.50
Q-6-82-0964 SLK Completer Kit $524.80
Q-6-87-5878 Bluetooth Module $404.26

Total $1,441.56

Dang
I think you may have a later updated version as the part nos. have a higher number, or it may be different for different countries.

"2. Vehicle core kit, part no. Q-6-82-0965, retail price $965, trade price $791 from oempartsdirect.com.

3. SLK completer kit, part no. Q-6-82-0915, retail price $640, trade price $524 from oempartsdiect.com.

4. MHI Bluetooth module, part no. 6-7-87-5878, retail $420, trade price $357."

G
#7 · (Edited)
You wont have any pre-wiring in that age car, so the install needs the phone harness to be fitted and the routing will need to go from the equipment bridge in the trunk down the passenger side then up to the console and also off down the front then way way up to the overhead panel.

Its about a day's work full on or two days going gentle by the time you strip out the seat, dash parts, console, carpet and all the smaller pieces of trim in the way, the installed parts list will be something like this -

2 MOST Extender Cables
1 CTEL Control Unit
1 Signal Booster / Decoder (not needed for a non-SAP BT cradle install only - any fixed or SAP cradle will result in no reception without this)
1 Linear Compensator (installed only for best signal reception with fixed cradle - not a requirement)
1 CTEL FFU Harness
1 Mic Harness
2 Mic's
1 Center Console
2 Console Wiring Harnesses
1 Mounting Bracket
1 Cradle
and various tiny trim pieces, also if you chose to have the factory phone business card BT system fitted you need to add one BT antenna to the list.

Its certainly not easy not so much because of the technical skill required (your just routing wiring and making connections) but the fact that so much of the SLK is tiny and you need to get into all the small spaces around her wiring trays.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the comments, Im going to try and have a look tomorrow and see what I do or dont have, Dan can you give me a rough price for all the parts I would need from mercedes if as you say there is no pre wiring? Thanks again, Everyones been a great help :)

G
#10 ·
Very rough up to a k.

I did this on a car not so long ago near the same age as yours, the pre-wire will be a option picked at build not a standard fitment and its rare to pay to have wiring installed without being able to use it so 99% of the time they either go for the full kit or don't bother.

G
#12 ·
There are indeed Don mate but a lot of the time it comes down to integration and you can't beat OEM.

Also AMG Mike is in the UK and if he has any sort of extended warranty or plans on getting one then aftermarket parts are out of the question.

#15 ·
My Canadian 2005 doesn't have Teleaid, nor did it have the phone pre-wiring option, but still had the pre-wiring already in it. Even though it wasn't ordered it must be hiding in there order codes somewhere. Dan, what's the code that tells you it's been pre-wired?

So the UK 2005's weren't pre-wired? Maybe it's just a North American thing. Oddly my Sirius was only partly pre-wired. I had the electrical connection, but not the MOST wire or the antenna extension to the trunk. My understanding here is in 2006, cars had the Sirius pre-wire, but they dropped the phone pre-wire (unless ordered).
That's too bad.

Cheers!

Dang

G
#16 ·
My Canadian 2005 doesn't have Teleaid, nor did it have the phone pre-wiring option, but still had the pre-wiring already in it. Even though it wasn't ordered it must be hiding in there order codes somewhere. Dan, what's the code that tells you it's been pre-wired?

So the UK 2005's weren't pre-wired? Maybe it's just a North American thing. Oddly my Sirius was only partly pre-wired. I had the electrical connection, but not the MOST wire or the antenna extension to the trunk. My understanding here is in 2006, cars had the Sirius pre-wire, but they dropped the phone pre-wire (unless ordered).
That's too bad.

Cheers!

Dang
Its complicated and really screwed up mate, your car is North American as you correctly say and it will have the North American option code so you still have the wiring installed for tele-aid and phone, whereas in the UK we don't have any wiring pre-installed (for a certain period of time you could even get nav pre-wire in US cars but in the UK the COMAND is not offered without the navi so its complicated options).

Unfortunately the phone option codes really don't copy over at all, the code for pre-wire in a UK car is 386 (also selected with a phone) but on a US car that means the system is practically ready to go with only minor stuff, we also have one code for the CTEL system itself thats different to yours (working out who has what installed when it comes to the US phone system is probably the only thing i don't like about doing VIN decoding for members because its totally backwards to how ours is specified).

Basically 386 in the UK means wiring and 386 in the US (all US spec cars, Canada included) means phone, also that MOST loop thing sounds normal since it would mean putting a joiner in the loop for nothing and it reduces the quality of the transmitted light on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.