Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLK55 Kill : DINAN BMW

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Ynot 
#1 ·
Went out to get some fresh air Saturday night and perhaps test out my new rpm's and such after getting above 1000 miles. Little did I know what I had in store for me...

I remember driving by the BMW as it was merging onto the road beside/behind me from a side street and then it made this big deal to haul @$$ to catch up to me. As we were working our way to the next traffic light, he kept zooming up and down next to me- that's when I noticed the DINAN on the trunk lid.

We are at the light and I *know* what is going on and start looking around for cops because this is going to be interesting...

I watch the x-traffic light start to change from green to yellow and hear what I swear is a turbo spinning up (I had the top down) Woooosh!... Wooooooooooosh! I don't think they have turbo'd them, but maybe it was just a bad exhaust system and a tranny brake stand... who knows.

Anyway, I was already in "S" mode so the light turns green- I wait maybe 3 heartbeats to dial in full throttle to see if it's "game on". Sure enough, I see the front fender of the BMW start to pass by my right peripherial vision with a woooosh. I give it 100% and the kill is over as I was passing over the crosswalk on the other side of the intersection.

After that the BMW stays behind me and won't pull into the lane next to me at the next light.

Just as I had crossed the intersection and dispatched the poor sod, my wife casually says "I think that guy wants to race you." She knows what it felt like when this happened in the 5.0 Mustang and really disliked it in the 442 because it always sounded like chaos and that we were on the edge of death. With the smooth performance of the 55, the little exhibition was over before she even noticed.

See less See more
#2 ·
Walk softly and carry a big stick! :tu:

#3 ·
Nice move/great skill :tu:

#5 ·
good kill, teach those bimmer folks that amg isn't just a badge. I've never been a dinan fan, way overprice for little horse power gain. Dinan makes superchargers, not sure if they do turbochargers.

#8 ·
I think this is going to change in the future YNOT. With the 135 and 335 twin turbo cars, there are very real performance gains in ECU programming and fairly simplistic intake/exhaust mods. Based on a thread I read earlier, even AMG may be going the turbo route? I plan on contacting AMG to find out if there is any truth to it.

#11 ·
ya that whoosh was a supercharger, not a turbocharger.

They only turbocharge the old e36 M3's, which in europe are blown from factory.

#15 ·
I drove a 2008 M3 and liked it a lot! But at the end of the day for $68k or so. The SLK55 AMG was the winner for me. The hardtop convertible and the interior of the SLK just felt and looked more like an expensive Sports car should. So I went off to my dealer to buy a 2008 SLK55 and guess what a used '06 comes in the day before with very low miles and the car looks like it never left this guys living room. I'm very happy!

MJ

#17 ·
Yea, the parking lots at CDC is loaded with bimmers. Only seen 2 SLKs, a 170 and mine.

Joe, where did you get the 55, ACC?

#19 ·
I'm not sure the 335 is faster than my SLK. I drove both extensively, as each was in my Top-3 list for the last year or two (Cayman S, 335i convertible, and SLK-350). I test drove the 135 coupe and actually liked it a bit better than the 335, it just feels lighter and more agile somehow. Also, I felt the SLK had far better low-end torque, even though the 335 supposedly has really small turbos which are supposed to spool quickly and release the hounds early on in the RPMs. But frankly, turbos have never impressed me much. Power comes on too late for real-world urban driving enjoyment. Much harder to take care of business at the lights as described by the OP.
The SLK350 might feel faster b/c of the low end torque but doubt it's faster than the 335i, the numbers for the 335i is conservative, many ppl dyno at much more than advertised. With an ecu upgrade, the 335i is keeping up with SLK55's. I have no chance up here in 5200 ft altitude against those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.