Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo Hoo Hoo, I broke the clips

13K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  etyu 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
After the SoCal Winery run, the recent poor air quality from brush fires and curiosity to see how much particulate waste there may be, I decided to change the Green Air Filters to a previously cleaned set. As I was lifting the front decorative piece of the airbox unit I heard 2 loud cracks, first the left and then the right.

I've removed the airbox before without any problems. What has happened?

I found out after removing the front piece that I've broken the 2 clips and the plastic legs that snaps straight down unto the back piece. :(
The pix below shows the broken clips (red circles), they were attached to plastic legs as indicated by the red arrows.

The clips are supposed to insert into the slots of the back piece as indicated by the red arrows in the photo below:

Anyway, I found out that there are still 2 L-shaped clips (blue circles in the first picture) that will anchor the front piece to the back piece. Whew! I then attached 1cm x 10 cm piece of automotive weather strip foam to each side next to the broken plastic legs (green rectangles in pix no. 1). This is to minimize vibration or perhaps some looseness of the front piece from the loss of the 2 aforementioned clips.

This "fix" seems to work well even under regular engine heat. The weather strips look fine after 4 days of use. No looseness of the front piece was observed with the hood/bonnet up and the engine running (checked 3x , 3 different days). Moreover, the front piece is now easier to lift and remove.

It turned out okay in the end. No drama (No biggie in the US).:D

Lessons learned in removing the airbox:

1. Detach and remove the 2 black air ducts that lead to the air box first.

2. Gently lift the front end of the front piece. Then lift upward firmly yet gently at the rear end of the front piece one side at a time (so you don't break the clips as I did).

3. Slide the now partially loosened front piece towards the front of the car (this will allow you to clear the 2 L-shaped clips <blue circles> located a tad towards the rear of the front piece). The front piece should be completely free after this.

4. Remember to carefully cut the plastic tie that holds a wiring harness/loom located at the left rear of the back piece (airbox) before removing the back piece. See pix below. Insert a new plastic tie in the reassembly process.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Not uncommon

I think the same clip is broken on mine on one side as well.
Me too. No sweat. It's still secure.
Looks like this is not an uncommon occurrence. At least now, the front decorative piece of the airbox is fairly easy to remove.

Another lesson I learned:

There's no reason to change or clean the air filters at 2 months. The airbox duct did have some leaves and other debris but minor. I will check again in another 4 months. Six months may be a little too long to clean the air filters. Link:http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/3551-bunch-****.html

G
#8 ·
Happens all the time, it just takes practice.

I think heat has a lot to do with it the clips get brittle very fast indeed, i would imagine in places like CA the under hood temp is very high so that would accelerate it even more.

But nothing to worry about its not the airbox only a bit of trim and its no going anywhere because of the other 2 clips.

#9 ·
i just leave that front piece off now...

#10 ·
With the 2 rear L-shaped clips and the forward (spring-type) clamp on the front piece, it is actually quite stable and not loose at all.

#11 ·
Hello everyone, this is my very first message. I was going to get the green filters for my SLK55 today, but after i read what happened to all of you having problem with that little clips... is this a must to break one or two in order to change your air filters?? Is it really worth it (saving gas)?? I don't know should or shouldn't I??

#12 ·
breaking a few clips wont hurt the cover. and if under warranty, like mine was, they replace the whole airbox front cover.

what year is your 55? please update (here i go again) your profile with model year and your location. Thanks!

oh and i keep reminding people until they obey! or you get to give me 50 pushups! (and not talking pushup bra here either!)(Clearbra for your hood/bonnet maybe)

#14 ·
Do they really work that good? Can you really feel the different when you drive?

By the way jbanks15, u said that, the dealer replaced the whole airbox front cover for you, did they ask, how did you break it? or how did you tell them to replace it for you? you know,, in case i happen to break one or two....

#16 ·
I am not sure about THAT good. They did improve my mpg on the previous 280 (when driving moderately with no change in driving habits).

I cannot say if this is the same on my current 55 as I had the Green Air Filters installed in the first week and they've been in since. In the 55, I thought the OEM paper air filters were a bit restrictive and had to push down more on the gas pedal. But then with the Green Air Filters on, one may be tempted to "floor it" just because you know you have the "Greens". Just make sure you "dry clean" the Green Air Filters every 4-6 months depending on your local air quality/condition.

I broke the one clip (same as you) on my cover 1 week into owning. :(

Mine's still very secure though but still... damnit.

Thank you for the tips though.
No drama on breaking the clips. I think it makes it easier for me to remove the front piece and am carefree about it as I know there are no more clips to break :D

#18 ·
sorry for the delay. i just told them i noticed the cover was not flush and maybe their mechanic broke the clips during the service. of course that 'tale' does not hold too much water when they know i have 'greens' already installed.

#21 ·
shim,

go to diy section for the step by step instruction

http://www.slkworld.com/diy-section/1561-green-filter-install.html

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.
You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

#22 ·
#23 ·
pdf version

Here's the pdf version:

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.