Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

N/A V12 into Facelift R170 V6, (just for info)

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Dave2302 
#1 ·
Hi,

One of my local customers CL600 beastie is in the Workshop again today, which is always good for me and bad for his wallet :grin:

That said, we got on top of it over the last 2 years and it has been pretty good lately.
It's only in for Brakes, and I've noticed a weeping ABC Strut on right rear, so that will hurt said wallet ;)

Anyway, enough of that .................

Being the curious bugger I am, and a Hot Rodder at heart, I'm thinking "What If" >:D

Out with the Tape Measure, (very roughly) the "box size" of the V12 Motor is 30" long and 26" wide, (not as wide as the V6 / V8 IIRC).

Under the Bonnet of my SLK V6, with the tape, yep, it will go in !!

Now, if anyone is going to tell me "That cannot be done" please don't because that is exactly how I ended up building a 24V V6 Cosworth 4X4 Ford Puma and went stage rallying with it, years of my time and I never did add up the money spent, suffice to say please don't wave the red flag, I'll end up bankrupting myself and getting divorced !!

Just take a week off and read this if you doubt my abilities and quality of workmanship :- 24V V6 Cosworth Puma Project - Pumapeople

BTW for those across the pond, a Ford Puma is a little tiny Ford FWD Transverse 1700 cc 2 dr Coupe.

To fit all the 4x4 Cosworth Running Gear and the 3.0 24V V6 required way more Chassis, Steering and Floorpan / Tunnel modifications than an R170 V12 would

Nowhere near as easy as the V8 transplant will be, but it will physically fit by moving the Trans back 2-3", shorten Propshaft, and widen the front sides of the tunnel shape by a few inches into each foot well, still leaving plenty of foot / leg room.

The answer to the obvious question ............ "when" ............

Well right now I have absolutely no plans to do it, but who knows what is around the corner, perhaps if a good running rusty V12 Car comes my way, I may buy a V6 R170 rolling shell and do it >:D

I'd be curious to know if anyone has ever done this, (I have seen Ron Callo's R107 btw) :wink:

and a few of the Puma under construction, (BTW under construction means exactly that, you will see items just tack welded etc, and un finished here and there) :-

Cheers Dave

See less See more
#3 ·
Interesting proposition that! I keep thinking about one day fitting the M157 5.5 Bi-turbo engine into my SLK to replace the N.A. M152 to which it is very closely related. Limiting factor is, it will probably cost upwards of 80% of what the car is currently worth to do it and my pockets aren't that deep! :laugh:

That engine is highly tunable though and it would be possible to create an absolute monster with it! Maybe one day! :grin:

#4 ·
I will say that is most definitely cannot be done! Absolutely impossible (I want to see it! :D ).

That said there are probably better options, but won't give that V12 sound. The biturbo V8 they used from like 2012 on is a beast and very easy to tune up to 500+hp. My wifes GL450 has it and what a great engine. I could only imagine it in a lighter car like the SLK.

#6 ·
I will say that is most definitely cannot be done! Absolutely impossible (I want to see it! :D ).

That said there are probably better options, but won't give that V12 sound. The biturbo V8 they used from like 2012 on is a beast and very easy to tune up to 500+hp. My wifes GL450 has it and what a great engine. I could only imagine it in a lighter car like the SLK.
Hi,

LOL, I wondered who'd be the first :p .................

Nope, sorry, not biting, too many other projects on the go right now :wink:

I have seen 670 bhp out of a customers W220 V12 TT that I modded, a total animal that car, it sounded like a Lambo with the F1 Exhaust on it >:D

Over my many years I have literally spent at least a million on modifying Cars, and never once have I recouped the costs when selling, always lost money on them :(

TBH, profit is not why I do it, I just love building Cars that are different.

A V12 R170 would be a lot less work than that Puma I did, but still it would need an awful lot of work to get it right, so it looks & drives like it came out of the factory that way, and that would be the only way I'd do it !!

It won't be long now (this year seems to be flying by), and the V8 M113 will be in my R170, and that conversion will be easy peasy in comparison :grin:
@Turdo2 , I didn't measure the height, but it does not look like it sits significantly different to an M113 in the CL's Engine Bay, the Car is here for a week or 2, when I get it back on the lift later in the week I'll whip the undertrays off and get a better look and some more accurate measurements ;)

Cheers for now, Dave

Reactions: M4rCu5 and Avel Du
#8 ·
Hi @Avel Du ,

Oh you absolute bugger :crying: :crying: :crying: , that gauntlet has been well and truly dropped :biglaugh:

With 722 naysayers and only 7 men of faith I have now just got to prove 'em all horribly wrong !!

OK, reality check, it isn't going to happen any time soon, 3 projects to finish first, and my own projects are all done in my "spare time" ......................

In order .......................

1) My W220 full resto just needs Rear 1/4's and Roof Painted now and it's finished, hopefully before the end of this summer as I'll need to be using it while number 2 is done .............

2) My SLK is getting the M113 V8 over Xmas shutdown this winter.

3) Our old family Bussie, a V Class Ambiente with all the toys is patiently waiting for the Engine / Trans sat in my Workshop to be fitted, then MOT, good clean up and sell it.

I will spend a few hours seriously looking at the viability of this, later on this week, when the CL V12 is back on my lift and all in bits :wink: ......................

I will say this, if there is going to be another project Car for me it will be building a V12 R170 :grin:

I have built many many insane V8's and V6 Cars over the years, so a howling V12 does seem to be the logical progression >:D

Of course, if anyone out there reading this want's to commission me to build one for them through my business then I'd be more than happy to oblige, and it would get done a darned sight quicker >:D

Cheers Dave

Reactions: Avel Du and M4rCu5
#9 ·
OK, OK, I'm gonna leave ya' all with this for a while, this is the Exhaust that we fitted on my buddies S600 a while back, (not his car in the video), crank up your sound in stereo ..................................

An R170 that sounds like this HELL YEAH ..................

#11 ·
Potential Donor ...................

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-MER...785460?hash=item443dcf81b4:g:tdkAAOSwQblc4FYL

2 hrs to go, wonder whether the current bidder wants it as much as I do at a little bit above that price ...............

Mel might throw a wobbler, but we'll see, I've a figure in my head that I'll punt at it, it will break up for more than my max bid, be interesting to see what it makes >:D

Reactions: jet_fl
#12 ·
Hi,

Oh well, that wasn't meant to be :(

I ate my dinner, intended to put a max bid on it in the last 20 seconds as I do, and I fell asleep in the chair and missed the deadline :(

Probably for the best as I don't really need any more to do right now, but I'm kicking myself, I'd have been much happier if it had gone for above the £3.5k I was prepared to pay for it :rolleyes:

It does prove though that an old V12 car which hasn't done spaceship miles can be had for a reasonable amount of money, and not some of the stupid prices that some EBay Cars go for :wink:

Cheers for now, Dave

Reactions: M4rCu5
#16 · (Edited)
Hi,

My biggest concern would not be the fabrication and physically fitting it all in, my one doubt at the moment is the Immo Cloning, DAS 2 V6 to work in harmony with DAS 3 V12 , I'm currently working on some research, and waiting on some new programming equipment / software, and some used ECU's to arrive .......................

Meanwhile in the next day or so I'm going to have a look see what's inside that V12 CL's ECU >:D ...................

We have today almost certainly proved that V6 Cars use # Immo Module with their flip keys, and V8 ECU also uses # which is a big :grin:

The ME 2.0 Cars do not use # Immo Module which = big problem for DIY Hot Rodders, as others have found out :(

If it is an ST95040 EEPROM then I'm pretty sure my V6 and V8 technology research / fix will apply :grin:

Cheers Dave

Reactions: M4rCu5
#18 ·
That is the only way to do 'em, (factory look) :wink:

Reactions: jet_fl
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.