Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Special alloy wax?

761 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  davest4s 
#1 ·
The cynic in me says 'special' waxes for alloy wheels is just a ploy to sell us yet another another another product when bodywork wax will do the job just as well.
Sure wheels get more exposed to dust muck & debris but no more than the lower sections of a car & alloy body panels don't require a 'special' wax. Unless you drive like a maniac alloy wheels don't get excessively hot.
After washing my alloys (when cool) they get a liberal spraying of waterless wax & come up shiny. A spray of Wonder Wheels then keeps the brake dust under control. Done this for many years with different cars.
So are we being conned?

#2 ·
Assuming you're only talking about rims:

I wash her every 4-5 days. Dust build up can be substantial (depending on how I've been driving) but I don't
use anything wax-or-preventative wise on the rims. Just a "special" (ie: old old wash mitt) and the usual
soap/water used on the body as a last step to clean them.

The dust just washes off, actually it seems it comes off easier than the body.

As long as I do it fairly regularly, it doesn't bake on.

#4 ·
I agree.

When I had my wheels refurbished I applied Gtechnic C5 Wheel Armour sealant, which has worked well. Makes washing the wheels very easy, even when covered in brake dust.

I like using Autoglym Aqua Wax after washing the car, and use a bit of that on the wheels too.

Reactions: WarwickThumbNT
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.