Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transmission Noise 320

789 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mn car guy 
#1 ·
I have a 320 made December, 2000 with 38k miles. It has just developed an odd rattle that sounds similar to that of a bad universal/CV joint but I’m not sure. When in Park or Neutral the sound almost disappears, even when I rev the engine up. When in Reverse or Drive the noise starts up. When stopped at idle it is noticeable but seems to reduce when the engine is rev’ed up and the parking brake on. When driving it seems less although I think I notice it still when in a tunnel or passing a wall that could reflect noise.

Thoughts on what this issue might be?

Thanks.

James

#2 ·
The first 2 things I can think of to check would be:

Transmission mount- Located below the rear tailshaft of the transmission. You should be able to check it from the sides with a mirror without removing it, although it's only held on by 4 bolts. Check for cracks in the rubber surround, I'll post a picture below of the bad one out of my SLK32.

Driveshaft center bearing surround- Made of fairly thin rubber, very easily torn. This is located inside the driveshaft tunnel, but it's very easy to see. I'll also post a picture of my bad one below. It's slightly more difficult and expensive to change than the transmission mount, but not too bad if you're handy with spanners.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.