Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What do you wish Mercedes had included/changed on your R170/171/172...

4K views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  O'Dell 
#1 ·
A quick question... what do you wish MB had included or done differently on your car??
The things you say should be included in the next model version as either standard, an option or better design.

I'll get the ball rolling for my R171 after 9 months of ownership..

I) a 'headlights on' warning light that you can actually see when driving.
II) a gear indicator (for the automatics) that shows what gear you're in.
III) a basic 'smart top' as standard.

Can you think of anything else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2 ·
#3 ·

These are mainly talking about which option people prefer, I was interested in what people thought was missing from the option list or should have been built differently.

Maybe they should have had a carbon diffuser and supercharger option for the 55? :wink:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Well we have a thread/threads on that but I stopped searching as I am driving to airport
No biggie
Time for a new thread on your subject

#5 ·
I hate the giant rearview mirror complex. I feel like it blocks my peripheral vision to the right. As a result, my seating position is really low just to get some vision around the thing. No big deal on a two lane road in the sticks, but in built-up areas I'm looking for clueless crossing traffic a lot.

Second, the seat moves slowly between memorized positions. I don't think it would be dangerous to be faster.

Third, the garage door opener button doesn't work nearly as well as the cheap dedicated opener button.

#9 ·
The main annoyance in my 171 is the COMAND screen that isn't even a touchscreen and can't do as much as the stock factory dash touchscreen in my 1988 Buick. Lots of buttons that don't do much (many tell you that you do not have something). I just leave it on AUX & plug in a smart cell phone I mount in front of the screen.

Second is that the 18x7.5" front wheels from my 170 clone need a 20mm spacer to clear the caliper which upsets the geometry (19x9" rears fit fine & clear). Only wheels with a major & unusual arch in the spokes like the stock wheels will fit the front without spacers.

Most of the engineering and features are just great like the steering wheel that moves out of the way when you remove the key. Some (like the balance shaft bolt behind the flywheel) make you wonder what was going on in their little pointy heads.

ps I just put sheepskin covers on my seats. Much cooler and a bit softer.

#10 ·
Cooled seats would be nice, I have them in my Cadillac SRX and like them a lot. The other thing is a more useable console and speakers with nice bass, the subwoofers in the Crossfire were much nicer once repaired. The COMAND Nav in my 2005 is VERY dated, but I still like it, and with the Dension add-on, it really does all I would really want.
But for factory options/changes that were never available, I'd say cooled seats, and SLK specific luggage that fits the car perfect, and matches your interior.
Oh, and an Oil Pressure gauge hidden in the menu somewhere.

#17 ·
I remember on an old Porsch 911SC there was a key behind a zip in the head lining which facilitated closing/ opening the electric sun roof if it failed. I appreciate it may take a while to hand crank the SLK roof up, or down, but it would still be preferable to current procedure in the event of a failure.
Corrosion in those wheel arches and sub-frames, not to mention the curse of rust in brake lines that seem to be a common cause of MOT failure in many makes and models of car these days. We should not be seeing this in these premium makes and models.
In these days, when they will fail you on your MOT with any failure indicated on the dash board. Quite frankly, I don't want every little thing indicated. If its safe to continue and I don't have to immediately pull over and contact my dealer, then I want to kill it off permanently! and at the press of a button (that is I'm the only one to be aware of it - and its there for my convenience and not for anyone else) they can pick it up again at the next service when I choose to take it. In addition, I can drive 10's of 1000's of miles in an old Honda Civic that cost me very little without seeing any kind of warning, or failure. My Mercedes should match this, or better.
Dealers are making trade on charging for reading fault codes and diagnosing problems recorded by the car itself. There is no reason on earth that we should see only code numbers, or worse just a light indicating a problem. The screens on the radios/ GPS entertainment systems easily lend themselves to telling you exactly what the car believes to have failed (i.e: name, part number and location of sensor if that is what the code refers to, options/ risks on carrying on). I know you can buy OBD2 code readers but this is an extra and does not tell you everything which is available in the cars own diagnostics.
Bit of a whinge really - but I like the rest :)

#18 ·
I would simply like my ESP to completely shut off when i shut it off, is that too much to ask?

i would ask for an LSD as standard but not even the amg32 comes with one, also AMG32 without an Manual?...

Smartop from the factory yeah.

Better coating on the chassis and better paint and protection because i have rust spots showing up in the most stupid places, and my car hasnt even been close to the sea and we dont salt our roads.

Not switching from an M62 to a M45, simply remove the clutch system like they did with the M45 but keep the M62 since it pushes the same PSI with lower RPM.

Nothing else i can think off right now.

#20 ·
Well my slk320 clone track day/autocross car made it easy to put a switch by the mirror to disconnect the TC. In a tight autocross it is handy to pin the nose on a cone, grab a lower gear to break the rear end loose and pivot around the pylon. To me my coupe with a six speed is nicely balanced for unusual maneuvers. (also being 250 lbs lighter than a SLK helps). Rear wheel steering is nothing new.

Would like to know who thought up rubber jack points that require a special insert for a floor jack or scissor lift.

Factory service manual for my clone came from the factory and is on one CD. One for the Merc is on 5 DVDs, takes a couple of hours to set up, and best have a fast machine with 8GB of ram.

But mostly my 171 is exactly what I wanted it to be (and what it isn't is getting fixed).

#21 · (Edited)
Quote: Originally Posted by Vjdslk View Post Isn't in the same league as a Miata. At least in the 170. Just1MoreDave;3647370 said:
The 172 is still nowhere near the Miata. Maybe in a few years we'll look into aftermarket upgrades if there are any.
IMHO there is no comparison between the two cars. I went from a Miata to a 171 and it was like going from a weekend track (with many required mods) or a weekend very short-trip toy to a vehicle that one can use as a true DD without sacrifice. There's a huge mystique surrounding the Miata where people use them as a yardstick for all other roadsters while ignoring some glaring mistakes of that car. Price = too high $32K before taxes for a GT and more for the RF. Interior = spartan, uncomfortable, too small, cheap materials for the cost, passenger side footwell is ridiculous. Handling is very good as long as you spend and extra $3K in modifications to reduce the body roll. Woefully under powered but another $5K (or more) will fix that. There are issues with every car made, even the great ones; but we cut too much slack for the Miata. Yes I enjoyed owning one but would not buy another. My opinion is based on owning multiple different roadsters (7 types) from MGBs to Boxsters. If you own and drive and love your Miata, wonderful! But you really cannot compare it honestly to an SLK, Boxster or TT; the build quality just isn't there.

Apologies for the lengthy post on that.

Now for what I'd think that Mercedes had included:

1. Cooled seats or a better way to duct and increase AC flow with the top down.
2. Auto top with a 10 mph limit or a one touch interior and fob option.
3. It's spitting into the wind for both Porsche and Mercedes on my last wish but a nice audio system vice something doesn't look or sound like it was designed in the 1930s would be nice.

But again, no car is perfect...There are many many more things on this vehicle that they got very right.

Cheers all.
Mike

#24 ·
I have a 2001 R170 with a six-speed. I'd like the transmission to be a little less balky. It really doesn't want to shift very fast. Also, the self-dimming rear-view mirror is completely ridiculous. Mine hasn't functioned properly for years and a new one is $500 USD or so. Yet every car I've ever seen in the junkyard with an old-fashioned manual adjust mirror has a working mirror. Also, rack and pinion steering would have been nice.

Oh, and that flaking interior paint over plastic. Whose brilliant idea was that?!?

But all said and done, I still love my SLK. It's reliable and fun to drive, and leaves most cars in the dust, especially if that dust involves any curves.

-- Kim G

P.S. And how about outsourcing all the electronic gizmos to a Japanese manufacturer so that they'd actually keep working?

#25 ·
Not sure what the problem is but my SLK320-clone with a six speed (well five speed and a granny low) is one of the fastest shifting trannys I have, when pushed friends say it sounds like an automagic. Never had an issue with shifting and the reverse lockout prevents accidents. Do have to turn off the traction control if I want maximum speed, really does not like a max chat 1-2 shift (usually start in 2nd unless really pushing it).

Did they use a different six-speed in the 230 ?

#31 ·
Not sure what the problem is but my SLK320-clone with a six speed (well five speed and a granny low) is one of the fastest shifting trannys I have, when pushed friends say it sounds like an automagic. Never had an issue with shifting and the reverse lockout prevents accidents. Do have to turn off the traction control if I want maximum speed, really does not like a max chat 1-2 shift (usually start in 2nd unless really pushing it).

Did they use a different six-speed in the 230 ?

I had the idea that the manuals were all pretty much the same. But that could be untrue. My driving experience is closer to yours: the shifter works fine. I can screw it up but that's me. It just does not feel like a direct mechanical connection, like the Miata. My impression is maybe softer bushings and more insulation. I know the Miata has none of that - just an interior boot you see, a rubber boot below that, one nylon bushing and the transmission.

I dislike the TC for another reason, driving after a snow. The roads are variable, with some slushy patches, especially at intersections and in turn lanes. If I make a left turn and traffic is coming, I try to make it quick. I know the car has enough power to make it with room to spare. But if I hit a small slush patch and get insignificant wheel spin, the TC shuts down the engine. I'm just about powerless, halfway through the turn. In this case, I really prefer to get out of the way. A bit of wheelspin is inconsequential and completely manageable by ordinary driving techniques. Obviously not an issue in Orlando. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.