Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking to buy a 98

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  nfocus 
#1 ·
Hello. I am looking at purchasing a 1998 Yellow SLK from the original owner who has logged in 18,900, that's right, 18,900 original miles on the car.
Just have a few questions and concerns before I take the plunge that maybe anybody can help.
1. It is an automatic and every time I shift at any gear I hear some rattling from the shifter. It sounds like it is coming from the linkage.
2. The passenger window will not roll down
3. I did not get a chance to put the top down.
4. Is it costly to maintain the top and car in general?
5. What are the typical costs of repair/maintenance?
She is asking 11K OBO. Does it sound like a good deal?
Thanks, Jon
I am scheduled to bring it to a Euro shop too today to get it inspected. Just wanted to make sure everything is covered.

#2 ·
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. And it only takes about 30 seconds to do!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

#3 ·
put the top up and down. a convertible with a top not working is worthless

#5 ·
when opening the roof, all windows go down and then reversed of course when putting them up. check out the video here:

mods4cars makes the smarttop mod. without it u have to hold the buttons for the whole duration of top up or down

#7 ·
we can give you the link but you need to get one first. not too many slks in guam i assume?

#9 ·
Just came back from the shop and found out that the current owner is the 2nd owner so I will be the 3rd. Mileage is authentic. Last service was about 3 years ago. The top wend down but needs lubrication because there are a lot of squeaks. All the hydraulics were changed in 2007. The passenger window did not roll down. There are some rattling noise coming from the shifter linkage. Thats about it. Now she will let me have the car for $8,400.00. Is this a good deal? Took a couple pics but I am not allowed to upload yet. What do you think?

#11 ·
One car I looked at was advertised as a 'one owner car'. I took that to mean the seller had purchased it new. It turned out he was the second owner so, I can only assume he implied it had no liens. I passed...

Regarding the price... $8,400 is not bad if you like the car and the mileage is correct. Expect to spend some $$ on new fluids, filters and possibly tires. At 18K miles it may have the original tires which at this age would be unsafe.

The window not going down could be from lack of use. Try cycling the window switch several times. Contacts oxidize if not used frequently, they are somewhat self cleaning in use.

Good luck.

#12 ·
billas

you should be able to upload pics:

make a post
go advanced or click paperclip
manage attachments
browse
select
upload
submit

#20 ·

#24 ·
No Stickers there but it turned black for some reason. Like mold or fading. The interior also needs some TLC. There are a few plastics that are cracked. I also noticed the the telescopic steering lever is broken. The car did not come with an owners manual. What is that switch that is directly in front of the roof switch that twists left or right only?

#25 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.