Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLK Prospect

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Mn car guy 
#1 ·
Hi, new member with a quick question. I've been lurking here for a couple weeks non stop and haven't seen a car with close to the mileage as the one I'm looking at. It is a 2004 SLK320SE, Red with black interior, automatic and wood interior trim. The kicker to this deal is that the car has only 8,500 original miles on the clock and is literally like brand new. Only problem is the radio antenna is loose from removing and replacing to cover when not being driven. No scratches, not even dust. Never sees anything but sunshine on an occasional Sunday. My question is: What is a car like this worth? I need to make an offer and don't want to low ball and offend anyone. Does the mileage and condition affect the value a lot? Thank you for your time.

Bill

#2 ·
#4 ·
Then you need to jump on it
get a mechanic to eyeball it and make an offer
If too low, he'll (the owner) will tell you

#5 ·
#6 ·
#8 ·
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.

#9 ·
I've seen the 4 cyl version of that go for about $12K

Hey Runamuck!

If you want an SLK, buy that one. As you say, you won't find a nicer one, and you know the owner. A while back, I saw a very similar SLK230 Blue, special edition with the blue/white seats, blue dash, and special carpets, etc on eBay. The dealer was asking about $12K, and I think he got it.

As someone who worked his way through college as a freelance mechanic, let me tell you that there is no substitute for a lack of wear. Sure, stuff can be rebuilt, but it will NEVER be rebuilt to factory tolerances, with factory quality-control, and factory parts. It will always be used.

Also, cars deteriorate in so many ways that restoring them, even if you could somehow manage to meet factory tolerances, simply ends up costing MUCH more than a new vehicle. I just replaced my steering damper, which is a fairly innocuous part, and I've got a relatively low-mileage (75K) 2001 R170.

If you buy that car, you can probably expect that you'll see some oil leaks from things like the engine crankshaft seal, etc. Such parts actually benefit from use, so sitting around isn't good.

I'd recommend you flush all the fluids and replace the belts at a minimum. Tires are also probably old, and thus dangerous. Do what you can to verify the tires' age, and if they're more than ~4-5 years old, replace them too.

But if you do all that, you'll have a $45K car for what? $11 - $14K? That's a bargain any day. Heck, I'd buy it in a minute for that amount of money.

Good luck, and please let us know if you get it and what you plan to do post-purchase.

Cheers,

Kim G
Redding, CA
Where we are really quite envious of your find.

#13 ·
That appears to be the same color of red as my SLK320. May data sheet says it is:

586U MAGMA-RED - NON-METALLIC PAINTURE

-----------------------

FYI - I recently saw a 1999 SLK230 with only 18,000 miles for sale at a mercedes dealership in Santa Clara. When I looked at it it was listed for just over $8,900 and then the dropped the price to just over $8,500.

#12 ·
Over here, R170s price does not seem to vary much on build date.
That is , 2003-2004 are not more expensive than 1999-2000.

It depends upon mileage, condition and model.

The lowest mileage SLK230 or SLK320 are still no more than 25% of there original new price.
One extreme example for a 2000 mile 230 asked 30%, but I don't know what it sold for.

Typically if they are 25-36,000 miles , 40-60,000km, people ask 16-21% of new price.

And We tend to over value used cars here too, because with no snow, salt or road grit, they don't rust and cosmetically usually look great. Early SLK used prices always look cheaper in US & UK , but maybe that's because the new price was lower too.

How much better is an 8000 mile car than a 25,000 mile car?, a little. Not 3 times better.
In some ways worse through lack of use, as El_Murcielago says.
The difference is about 2 years normal use, isn't it?

How much would I pay? Maybe 20-25% more than a 25,000 mile car, so maybe 25% of new price.
But personally I'd rather have one that had 2-3000 per year with steady use and attention all year, so it all depends. So maybe to me it's not worth more.

Either way it's a bargain compared to new price, you'll be enjoying a 70-80% discount for a great car.

When driving roof down there'll be,,,,One big smile for the car, onother for the price.

Buy it! You won't regret it.

Remember that the roof will not have been cycled very often and any long spell of no-use can let those cylinder o-rings decay with bad results,,,leaks and required repair.
So try to establish if it has just sat for for a year or two or more, or whether it really was driven every few weeks in summer. Average mileage being 650 per year, this car has sat around a lot.
Might be worth planning on replacing the o-rings anyway.

Lots of low milage ones about for comparison, finding some advertised examples will assist the discussion.

#15 ·
The true value of a car is what you are willing to pay and they are willing to take.

Looks mint.
You know the owner history.
Owner might not want to price as it's traditional to come back with a lower offer.

Bottom line 'What's it worth to you'?

Get a mechanic on it.
Then, as said above, replace perishables.

#16 ·
NADA Value Guide - 2004 SLK320 - I don't know what SE means.
Clean Trade IN $10,612.00
Clean Retail $13,387.00

Many times cars like that are purchased by Collectors that simply LOVE ORIGINAL near perfect examples. A serious collector that really want's it - might go over the average price of $13K.. Hoping to hold it for the next 10 to 15 years. Amazing what examples like that will bring when they are 30 to 40+ years old.

As I recall there was one on Bring A Trailer several months ago.. with about that mileage. I can't find the listing at this point - but as I recall it sold for around $11K.

If I wanted it - I'd offer at least $10K - - and if I had to I wouldn't hesitate to go $13K.. Great Color/Great Condition.. what's not like?

#17 ·
What a terrible looking car. Way over priced. I wouldn't pay more than 5 k for it. Where abouts in Minnesota did you find it?

Just kidding. It's a beaut. Run a carfax and have it inspected to be safe but if it checks out, I think 12k is the dough. I've seen some 32AMGs recently sell in the mid teens with low 20's for miles. It's not a perfect guide but if you have an ebay account, go into sold listings and it will give you a pretty good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.