Mercedes Benz SLK Forum - View Single Post - LED lamps in dome light (Facelift R170 only!)

View Single Post
#1 Old 02-27-2017
savcom
Premium Member

Vehicle: 2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
Other Toys: 2010 Grey BMW F10 528i
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to savcom
(Thread Starter)
LED lamps in dome light (Facelift R170 only!)

Before I start this DIY I had to replace a blown lamp in the boot / trunk. This is done simply by easing the lamp housing out from the rear and unplugging the two wires connected to the housing. I then removed the old 44mm festoon lamp fitted to the housing and replaced it with an LED equivalent. Note that the metal contacts in the housing will benefit from a quick rub with a fibreglass pencil to remove any oxidation that may have accumulated.

Reconnect the cables and make sure the lamp lights up before fitting the housing back in the rear boot cover. If the LED lamp doesn't light up, take it out and swap ends and re-insert it. It should light up the other way round.

For the record, I fitted a cheap, non-CANBUS LED lamp. This may become important later on.

P2260114.jpg

Now we turn to the dome light in the car. You may have seen references to a Pelican Parts technical article about replacing the Dome Light lamp. In the article PelicanParts shows the removal of the dome light housing for a pre-facelift car. This DIY is therefore for a facelift (post-2000) vehicle as the dome lights are completely different.

Tools needed:
- plastic panel tool
- pozidrive screwdriver
- fibreglass pencil (like this one from Amazon)

Parts needed
- W5W LED lamps (I chose OSRAM Premium Retrofit W5W interior lights from Amazon)

The lamps do not need to be CANBUS compatible in this instance. They do, however, need to focus their light 'downwards' into the car and not 'sideways' as the light from the lamp will need to aim down into the car. The Osram ones I chose were called 'warm white' but are in fact 4000K so they are more of a 'cool white' and are a lot whiter than the old lamps which are around 2700K. They look like this:

Osram W5W LED_.jpg

Steps needed

Step 1 - Using a thumb or a plastic panel tool ease down the cover off the dome light.

P2260120.jpg
P2260121.jpg

Step 2 - Once the cover is safely off undo the two screws nearest to the windscreen. Be careful of the lens in front of the dome lamp. These are fragile and may break easily. They do not need to be touched to replace the lamps.

P2260122.jpg

Step 3 - Using the rear view mirror as a help ease the dome light housing towards the rear of the car and pull the front part of the housing down till the clips are visible.

P2260127.jpg

Step 4 - Now push the housing towards the front of the car and pull the rear part of the housing down till the metal clips release and the housing is free.

P2260128.jpg

Step 5 - You can see that there are two plugs and cables that are connected to the housing. The larger one on the end connects the lamps and switches. The smaller one in the centre is for the infrared sensor. Remove both plugs so the housing is free and can be attended to. You may have to unclip the smaller plug to separate it. If so, ease back the two grey clips and ease the connector out then pull the connectors apart.

P2260129.jpg

Step 6 - Turn the housing over and remove the old lamps by twisting the yellow holder anti-clockwise and pulling back towards you. You can see by looking at the metal track where the corrosion can creep in.

P2260131.jpg

Step 7 - Use a fibreglass pencil to clear away any oxide products that may be there and ensure a clean connection for the new LED lamp. Remove the old lamp by pulling the glass lamp and holder apart. Then clean the housing and the lamp holder.

P2260132.jpg

(As I've reached the max file limit I'll continue in Post 2 below)

Now : Silkie - 2002 Lazulithe Blue Mercedes Benz SLK320
Also
: 2011 Sophisto Grey BMW F10 528i SE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brings a smile to my face whenever I drive her

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous :
1965 Triumph Herald 12/50 ... 1972 Austin 1300 ... 1982 Volvo 265GLE ...

1987 Volkswagen Caravelle ... 1997 Rover 214si ... 2002 BMW E39 530D

If I've helped you sort your problem(s) out, click the 'Thanks' button on the right hand side under my signature.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome