Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Steering problems

12K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  thirteendog 
#1 ·
Anyone ever have power steering issue? I'm leaking fluid somewhere and have now lost power steering completely. (BTW this is how I found out that I was leaking fluid)

Also noticed my rear main seal is leaking :( Is this a common problem as well?

#2 ·
yes. main rear seal is a known issue. go to dealer and just say that you noticed oil spots rear of engine, middle of car. my mb tech whispered that to me and they replaced it under warranty this past year. of course i have an extended warranty but he made it seem like mb knows about that issue. good luck

#6 ·
I just replaced my power steering pump because it was making a groaning sound....thanks to my extended warranty it cost me zero.

But...I had a similar problem to yours about two years ago that turned out to be a speed sensor in the rack that controls a valve that feeds power steering fluid to the rack. The dealer replaced the sensor, which stored a code, but was an intermittent issue....caught it on a good day so there was a smoking gun.

Doesn't explain the disappearing fluid....

#9 ·
Well every now and again I get scared and a little pee comes out... is that the kind of puddle you're asking about?

lol no I have assigned parking at work and park in the garage at home. It's currently full of fluid right now and sitting in my garage with the splash shields removed and some card board on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.