Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Picking up the SLK this afternoon

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  savcom 
#1 ·
Hi,.

Any tips for a first time driver (bar the test drive) of an SLK 230?

Obviously I've read up a lot here in regards to being careful when the roads are wet any other gems?

Thanks,

RLander

#2 ·
Congratulations on the new car.

Whilst your new to the car I'd suggest putting it in 'winter' mode if the weather is poor.
Unless it's a manual.

The only other tip is to relax the facial muscles before you get the car.
All that smiling takes its toll :D

#3 ·
Crank the heater up, put the net over the headrests, switch the heated seats on, pull the "luggage cover" out in the boot and then pull back on the red pleasure button[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
It's a clear blue sky on The Yorkshire Coast and that's what I'll be doing.....I've told the Mrs I need to go out for a run to charge up the new battery I fitted yesterday afternoon [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#7 ·
#8 ·
Yes, after spending some quality time alone with the car, I remember now why it's so exciting to drive, little slow coming to top end of first gear but 2nd and 3rd have all the power needed and more.

Only been in 6th gear twice but she cruises, only thing I underestimated was the thirstyness.

Had 'the fear' last night after buying her but waking up this morning, starting up and cruising down to a friends that just melted away. Can't believe I waited so long!!

Few little bits to do on her (pictures coming soon) but very very happy in general and yes....I had the top down this morning in the sun, pal says we look like a pair of w**kers, but IDGAF. Melikey.

The smiling does take it's toll on the face though, aching cheeks.

#9 ·
The smiling does take it's toll on the face though, aching cheeks.
I'm smiling now reading this. Congratulations on your new ride!! :grin::grin::grin:

I've never bothered with the net over the headrests - but I have a beanie and driving gloves for me and another beanie for my passenger; both where they should be - in the glove compartment!!

Heated seats - heaters on full - if the sun shines the roof's down. Simple.

Couldn't have put it better myself. >:D

#10 ·
Thanks very much savcom, mine looks a lot like your Silkie, just a year older and doesn't have a name.... Yet.

Unfortunately the frost has come down here tonight so I didn't get the chance to put my foot down much on the way home.

I went and spoke to a guy that's done my tyres for a few years now, he described the one's I have on as 'Japanese ****'

New set looking at €600, he reckons I'd really feel the difference on the road though so going to have a look,...might have to leave this until end of the month,...still only 3-4 weeks away. Good times.

Thanks again,

RLander

#11 · (Edited)
I went and spoke to a guy that's done my tyres for a few years now, he described the one's I have on as 'Japanese ****'
Not necessarily!

Although Schwarzie wears conti's, my magnum has yokohama's. The first conti's (mfg preferred tire when new) only got about 15K km when they started looking like Telly Savalas (if you have to ask, you're too young ;) ).

Put the yoko's on and I regulariy get 50K km on them now. They are not as soft as the conti's were so although they stuck like glue, they also wore real fast.

Tell us which brand you have now and others will add their 2c.

#12 ·
So, interior paint and gummi ordered, had a quick inspection of the weather seals over the weekend when I managed to get the top down,....twice! They look to be in fantastic order really, (I'm pretty surprised). The drains have a build-up of grime in them but nothing too major (disappointing as the dealer i bought it from gave it a wash/valet before purchase the lads obviously missed this bit)

Also made two 'broomstick modifications' with thanks to the creators such a useful bunch!

Should be getting a nice day on Saturday the way it's looking at the moment....good times.

RLander

#14 ·
I had P7's on Silkie when I first bought her. The rears have since been replaced by Michelin Primacy HP. The car is now much quieter with much less Road noise from the back.

Sent from my Xperia when my back was turned

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.