Status
Not open for further replies.

Vario Roof Troubleshooting Tree - R170 Courtesy of Leapyfish

46K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  Padgett 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

#3 ·
Leo,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (model and year,ie 2007,? SLK 350,?) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Your profile is NOT updated in your ‘personal garage’.

We want to welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

#14 ·
#6 ·
Having problem with my varioroof. The trunk open but the roof is no
t raising
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (Put looking!)(year?: 1996-2016, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

#9 ·
SLK 230 Roof sticks slightly, passenger side upon opening

I can give it a gentle thump and it opens. I want to get it working perfectly. I took the roof liner off and I did not a cable but didn't try to adjust it because I wasn't sure this would fix the problem. I didn't see any switches. I read a previous post about finding a switch and removing baffles. Where is this located and how do I get to it? Thanks!

#10 ·
Rooftop sticks question

Also, is this worth trying to find a dealer or other repair shop that would know how to diagnose and fix this issue?
I can give it a gentle thump and it opens. I want to get it working perfectly. I took the roof liner off and I did see a cable but didn't try to adjust it because I wasn't sure this would fix the problem. I didn't see any switches. I read a previous post about finding a switch and removing baffles. Where is this located and how do I get to it? Thanks!

#20 ·
I think you'll need a DAS session to talk to the roof controller - not all modules are accessable via the generic OBD readers ....

#22 ·
Morning ...

I've never hooked up to a 170 before .... going to need some input from others first ...

Anyone with any input .?

(And Cotgrave is about 5 miles from me so not far away ..!)

#23 ·
Rooftop fixed

I asked also, if it is worth trying to find a dealer or other repair shop that would know how to diagnose and fix this issue? Well, that's what I did. After taking the liner off and not being able to see how to adjust the cables I found a dealer and they replaced one stretched cable and it works like a charm now. Sometimes it pays to just have it fixed right.

#26 ·
Flaky fault - sometimes roof fails near position 2 OR the quarter windows dont close after roof

Hi,

I had a few flaky problems with my roof a year n half ago (mines a 2002 230k) ... My roof was sometimes sticking once the boot was lifted and the roof was just starting to retract, and/or just before and/or after position 2. It would also sometimes stick with the roof closing but the back quarter lights not closing. I took it to MB who charged me over 1200 to not fix the problem. In the end, after nearly a year of glum roof up driving, I bit the bullet and decided to have a look myself... I prised off the rear pillar inside cover (running up the side of the rear window, and a partially broken wire near the seam of the two roof parts was immediately obvious as the culprit. It seemed obvious to me to check where there would be wires frequently being bent on the roof seams, but MB had jsut plugged in a computer and when it flaked out at different points it had them stumped.

It cost me 70p for a 1m length of wire to replace the offending section, and took about 20 minutes literally from deciding to have a look, to finish.

If you want to check the same, its the drivers side and just held on by metal clips: Raise the roof to position 2 (see photo)

Some careful but brave prying away (at about 45deg towards the opposite wing mirror) will have it removed in no time. I have marked where the clips are between the plastic and the car. I pulled back the door seal rubbers and pried off the front edge first, applying pressure as close to the clips as i could, then i pried off the rear edge.

Once off, there are two physical cables (to operate the front edge locks, I assume) and one electrical cable pair inside a protective sheath. I removed some of the sheath where I could see that it had been kinked, and sure enough, the wire inside had snapped over time. I cut both cables and inserted a short length of braided multi-thread speaker wire, soldering and taping the connection. The original cable appeared to have been quite tight on length, so the cable I inserted was longer to reduce future stretch forces as the roof is raised/lowered, which appears to have been sufficient that I havent had any issues since (about a year now).

Bit rough n ready, but works :)

Attachments

#27 ·
Howdy Folks!!!!

Last time I operated the roof (closing) it worked normally until about 1 foot from the windsheild when it stopped. I got out and gently pressed down and the roof closed and locked normally. I haven't had the nerve to try and open it since for fear it would get stuck. I'm just guessing but I would say either low fluid or air in the system caused this. I did a brief search and could not find information on either problem.

So my question is, how do you check/fill the hydraulic system? Is there a bleed procedure?

Thanks in advance! :)

#34 ·
Hi everyone, this morning I opened my vario roof with no problem but when I tried closing it, it stuck to position 2 (1st picture) and the red switch light started blinking. the pump also stopped running.

I tried reversing the switch to open it up again but there is no response.
Turned off the engine to de-pressurize the system and the roof went back inside the boot.
I operated the switch to fully open the roof (trunk closed again and the windows rolled up just like in the normal opening operation).
When I tried to close the roof, the boot opened but the roof did not come out of the trunk. (2nd picture) the pump continued running. the switch did not blink but stayed red the whole time. nothing happened.
Now I am guessing that limit switches S119 might be the problem but I cannot locate it in cylinder #8 . Where is it exactly located?
anotherlimit switch I am eyeing is switches S126/1 & S127/1 but I cannot seem to locate them to test them?
I already checked vario roof limit switch S69/2 & 3 and they are ok.
Am I missing other switches? Does it look like cylinders 6 & 7 are not working ? what switches will trigger them?

Attachments

#41 ·
#42 ·
Typical causes of roof issues:

Wear and tear. Struts need replacing when the boot/trunk does not stay open when lifted.
Don't use it for 6 months, then start using it again. Even more so if not maintained.
Lack of maint. Lubricate those troubles away.
Using it at too low a temperature. (Check your glovebox handbook).
Poor replacement after other work done on car that involved part of roof mechanism.

TIP:- If your windscreen is replaced check the roof is ok.
TWICE I had to get the operator to explain what he had done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.