Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What kind of oil and from where for Supercharger?

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  jbkufahl 
#1 ·
I am getting a lot of noise out of my supercharger when I put my foot in it at highway speeds. The first step is for me to check the oil level, and am thinking I will drain it completely while I am at it, and add fresh oil. I have found the OEM oil is Nye Synthetic Oil 605, but am not finding it, nor do I feel it is necessary to stick with OEM. I would like feedback from anyone that has replaced the oil in their supercharger, and what they used, as well as where it can be purchased.
Thanks

#3 ·
I found the answer to the oil problem, and it sure wasn't the dealer. $80 plus tax thru them. The same oil is used by GM for the same M45 Eaton supercharger for less than $10 from NAPA. Again the dealer "rip off" is in play.
What I am not able to find, is a detailed video or pictures step by step to access the fill plug for the supercharger. I have the air box off, but their is still the enclosure for "what I surmise" the throttle body housing. More than likely this will not solve the noise issue, but I wanted to try it before taking it to a mechanic. If anyone knows of a link for what I am looking for, it would sure help.

#10 ·
Check out my post in the DIY http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/306290-post-facelift-slk-230-supercharger-oil-change.html

I believe it is better than the Pelican/Peach Parts writeup, especially for the post facelift vehicles. Do not forget to put your belt back on when finished and before starting!
I believe it is better than the Pelican/Peach Parts writeup, especially for the post facelift vehicles. Do not forget to put your belt back on when finished and before starting![/quote]
Thanks for the referral, I got frustrated waiting, so I just started pulling parts. Your SC is exactly like mine, and ours are not like the one that Pelican parts refers to when talking about an R170 Kompressor SC removal.
I did find that the plastic threaded cap on the pulley shaft was broken, so I backed it out, but don't have any idea where to get another one. Is it any more than a thread protector, or is it as I have seen described a "breather" plug, to let excess gas to "burp" from the SC when it gets hot? I took a picture of the piece that I pulled out, but it is supposed to have a flat head also, which was brittle and in pieces.

Attachments

#12 ·
Here is the pulley shaft with the part partially unscrewed, then the shaft threads, and then the plastic part remaining. The final picture is a longer shot for point of reference. I have called Eaton, and their tech department will not help the end consumer. They will only give advice to distributors, and the told me to check on line sources. Great customer service..........

Attachments

#13 ·
OK, I just stuck a plastic ribbed plug cap in the pulley shaft, and put it all back together. I can't take the care out on the hwy yet, because I pulled the front bumper and spoiler to have the chips taken out and fresh paint.
I did start the engine, warmed it up, and revved it up as much as dared to. It was as smooth as silk, and after talking to a supercharger tech, found out that if the oil had blown through the needle bearings my air exhaust housing coming out of the SC would have an oil coating. All was dry, I don't know where all the oil went, but the fact that I don't have any of the noise I noticed before seems to be good. Will know more out on the hwy. I learned a lot about the car tear off the front end and pulling the supercharger at the same time. Especially on an older vehicle, I think it is important to know as much as you can about how to get into more than the gas tank. I am not a mechanic by any means, but you can take pics with your phone as you go along, make notes, put parts in a container labeled and in general just grow a pair and go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.