Mercedes SLK World banner

January Joy

8K views 115 replies 19 participants last post by  PWSLK 
#1 · (Edited)
EDITED for ease of access :)

MOVED TO JANUARY 28TH DUE TO RAIN FORECAST!

Let's meet at the Starbucks at Ventura Blvd and Topanga Blvd in Woodland Hills. From there we can go to Mulholland and do some canyons in the area, ending of course at the famous Tuna Canyon, with lunch following for those interested?

Waypoint A (Orange County):

Pete's Coffee near Verizon Wireless, @ 8:00am (23718 El Toro Road, Lake Forest, CA 92630)

Waypoint B (Woodland Hills, final):

Starbucks @ 10:00am, (5422 Topanga Canyon Blvd Woodland Hills, CA 91367)

Route to be driven might be something like this.

------------------------------------ OLD -----------------

Fellow SLK'ers! (or whatever you wanna call yourselves)

It has come to my attention we have NOT met in quite a while (I'm partly to blame, my life having gone through some interesting changes lately).

So to remedy that, I suggest a run sometime in January (14th or 15th), being as December is pretty much gone (if you include the holidays, starting next week).

SOOO who is up for a good-old-fashioned day drive? I'm up for anything, preferable something I haven't done before. Maybe Durk or somebody from down south could show me some nice roads down there? :)

Happy holidays,
Pablo

See less See more
#4 ·
Happy Birthday in advance :tu:

#3 ·
That weekend is bad for me also.

#10 ·
Any further details? Meet time and waypoints? I am a "tentative".

#11 ·
Some ideas:
Palomar Mountain/Lake Henshaw (76+79?) (haven't done this one so don't know if it's good)
or
Santiago Canyon Road + Ortega Hwy to Lake Elsinore (never done this, no idea)
or
Castaic Lake loop (as we did last year)
or
La Cañada to Wrightwood (might be closed or snowy?)
or
Malibu
or Santa Barbara + Solvang (probably with 1 hotel night, might be too close to date now?)

More ideas? :)

#14 ·
Too much traffic on Ortega on weekends, not to mention LEO's.

#15 ·
Ok, no Ortega. :)

I see you guys also did a Wildomar run last year, was that good? I'm trusting you southerners with what would be better, I'm fine with anything in the area. :p

If you want Malibu that's pretty close to me so I'm fine with that too.

Oh and could we meet up at like... 10? I like to sleep in a bit on my weekends, and if we do something south I'd actually have to leave at 8.

#16 ·
While Palomar is a really fun run, the risk with doing it in January is that a winter storm will dump a load of snow on the mountain. While we've had fantastic weather the last few weeks (today's forecasted high is 87 here!), I'd be inclined to go with Malibu. If Bill's not participating I can study the Google Maps and come up with a route :D.

We can do Palomar a little later in the year, and run it all the way to the top so we can do a little side-excursion to the telescope.

#18 ·
Ahh my back yard, so I won't have to drive far to meet with my driver...

I miss Tuna Canyon. Let's hope it isn't slipout like the last time we went. Muddy, messy, and roads still damp from all the rain the days before.

Do we have a date set that I didn't see up there?

#20 ·
Getting closer I guess, so here's a proposal. According to the weather app on my phone we're entering another pattern of rain-only-on-weekends, but hopefully it will improve as the date draws nearer.

January 21st, Woodland Hills @ 10:00am for a run of the canyons around Malibu.

Let's meet at the Starbucks at Ventura Blvd and Topanga Blvd in Woodland Hills. From there we can go to Mulholland and do some canyons in the area, ending of course at the famous Tuna Canyon, with lunch following for those interested?

Waypoint A (Orange County):

Pete's Coffee near Verizon Wireless, @ 8:00am (23718 El Toro Road, Lake Forest, CA 92630)

Waypoint B (Woodland Hills, final):

Starbucks @ 10:00am, (5422 Topanga Canyon Blvd Woodland Hills, CA 91367)

Route to be driven might be something like this.

#23 ·
We need more people! :)
What about birthday boy (slkluv)?

I'm on the fence as my daughter may be coming home that day. I may also attach the front license plate as this is going to be in LA county, if I join.

#28 ·
Woohoo! Sounds like a blast!! Thanks for the PM!
I need to check schedules, but I'm 80%, and Heather is ready to drive her own R170, and I have a friend who just got his Silver R170 Sport last week, and was asking if there was a run coming up! So I may be in for 3 SLK's (hopefully no spinouts!).

#34 ·
Awesome, it will be great to see your group again Ken.

We should be driving within limits to avoid losing anyone at the tail-end and attracting LEO's attention :)
Looking forward to seeing your 172 Peter.

#29 ·
Sounds great, hope the weather cooperates!

Roll call (feel free to copy/paste and add your own name):

1. Bleen (@woodland)
2. Durkatlon (@orange)
3. ponia003 (@orange)
4. noober (coming as passenger, meetup unknown?)
5. SoCalBeachRunner (@woodland) + tailgate lunch at end.
6. mbpaul (@orange via @SanDiego)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.