Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Going to Plasti-Dip my SLK DIY

7K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  slkninja 
#1 ·
I don't mind the silver colour of my SLK, but I do fancy spicing it up after I have fitted a new body kit.

I have painted cars before, and I have all the correct compressor equipment etc and so I could paint it myself but it is very cold and damp where I live at the moment. Hassle wise though, I could get a professional paint shop to do it, but not only would it be expensive, it's pretty much permanent unless I pay out more money to get another pant job.

So, as and alternative, I thought of doing my own DIY Plasti-Dip. I have read up a lot about the process and I am confident I have all the knowledge and equiptment to have a go, and better still it is far cheaper, plenty of scope to make mistakes and rectify, and more importantly it isn't permanent.

So, any suggestions as to the colour? I am thinking either white or gunn-metal grey?

All input greatly appreciated :smile:

#9 ·
Please post it when you have completed it. I have seen other types of cars done in the what I call the plastic wrap. I haven't liked any so far but they are mostly done by young people doing it to older cars like Hondas and Toyotas. They are still good mechanically but have body issues (rust) and they want to cover it up cost effectively. Maybe its just that I don't like any of the older cars these kids pick up so I would very much like to see what it looks like on a MB SLK 230.

#21 ·
That's a lovely example. I think the blue I suggested will work similarly well being a similarly bold colour, with black wheels and maybe a few more accents. It's all about the contrast. If it's done well it will look a million dollars, like this one does. Love it!

#22 ·
Love the idea of this plasticoat.

Two possible issues.

Waiting for the Blue Badger to settle on which clothes she's wearing.
Following her instructions on the colour match she requires.
And then swiftly changing it to match her 'final' choice, in the hope that it truly is final.

More seriously, is it legal? As it's temporary/removable and colour is declared on both log book and insurance, might it give a reason to invalidate insurance? If it was declared as a removable coating, I'll bet they jump on that excuse.

But the idea? Love it!

#23 ·
Yeah, that's a very very good point hence I was thinking of the gunn-metal grey as the car is currently silver. If I was to completely change the colour, and assuming it would stay on the car for 2-5 years then I would get the logbook updated, I am sure it's free of charge, or at least only £25.

#25 ·
Well, it looks like the idea of Plasti-dipping my car is over before it has begun, primarily because Plasti-dip cannot supply.

Basically, I decided to go for gunn-metal grey...however they are currently out of stock of that colour. So, I thought HCF White Silk would be a nice second, but no, they are out of stock in that colour too. :frown:

The only colours they have are the ones most people don't want, I for one don't fancy bright snot green from my SLK.

So, upshot is that as this is too much to ask of Plasti-dip, I will probably do it the old fashioned way and get a full respray in real paint. Not good in my opinion.

I will update soon. :|

#26 ·
It was meant to be :D

#31 ·
I love the combination of yellow with black accents. Although I would be very careful if you are changing the wheels, they need to look sporty, but classy to go along with the original concept of the car.
I had a white 911SC that I accented in black denim, and it got tons of looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.