Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

supercharger needed...?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  keith777 
#1 ·
My mechanic has informed me that the clutch on the supercharger is making a bit of noise though it is still working......with that in mind I,m trying to source a new or recon replacement, even a good second hand would be ok. Could anyone point me toward a good parts/breakers as I,ve had no luck. I,m trying to avoid main agents for obvious reasons. Incidentally my car is a 1999 230 and I would prefer somewhere in the UK.

Thanks in advance

#5 ·
I just had my 2002 SL32 AMG in yesterday for some minor issues and was told that the bearings on my Supercharger were getting noisy and they/it should be replaced at a cost of about $2000. I'm still doing some due diligence to see what the options are on rebuild vs. new. . .I sure wouldn't want to blow it up in the meantime!
Good luck to you!

#7 ·
Supercharger update........
I am pleased to say I managed to source a reconditioned supercharger from a breakers .........it has a three month guarantee and it has been checked before it was dispatched. ...all for £200.00 inc delivery. Anyway my mechanic has fitted it now and my old girl is going well again.

#8 ·
Other than them screaming at you, I'm not really sure of what a bad supercharger bearing sounds like. At this point, I'm not too keen on just anteing up the $2 Grand. . .
Any ideas on how to do the troubleshooting without stripping it down? Guess I need a side-by-side comparison. . .
thanks

#10 ·
Yes, I just found some excellent detailed info and pictures that help take the mystery out of it. The pictures referred to on the site are by Pelican Parts.
It seems that the first thing to do is to change the Supercharger oil. . .Really sappy that I thought that the SC was oiled by motor oil. . .:eek:])
Some really great info here! Thanks to all!
Now onto the next item. . .

#11 ·
we have links in our diy section to the writeups/pic on pelican parts :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.