Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

EUROCHARGED TUNE, Jerry wants more cash

5K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Sweet04 
#1 ·
Lifetime tunes must have an asterisk somewhere. I wanted a tune for higher octane, Jerry wants another $300. I will find another tuner. For anyone who datalogs what timing to you see at WOT and max. boost? I have Robs DCAI, Euro 65mm pulley and 93 octane tune. I am also in Florida which is flat and should show lower loads. I have seen boost at 19psi, likely due to intake restrictions and 19.5* of timing. I am questioning if I ever got a 100 octane tune or just a 93 octane tune resent. Easy enough to check.
How about some max boost with the timing for that boost? Thanks, Mark

#2 ·
Well Jerry relented. He wanted another $300. for my request for a "CUSTOM" tune. I am not the most literate member of this forum but I understood I was to get lifetime tunes as I modified the car. According to Jerry 104 Octane fuel is not a mod but constitutes a custom tune for an additional $300. I saw that differently.He gave me a tune with 1.5* more timing. Once the weather dries I will take some datalogs and see what the timing is.
In my willingness to learn I would either like to post a datalog for discussion or I would like to "trade" datalogs with someone with similar mods.
One question I have on the SLK32 is what is considered the timing advance for a light throttle cruise? As most 32 owners should know the mileage for these cars with such a small motor is not very good, about 20mpg highway. Yeah, it is not an economy car but still......Anyonw willing to PM a datalog? does anybody with a 32 do any datalogging, does anyone with a 32 even care:)

#5 · (Edited)
Adjustment

Jerry did give me the tune with higher octane, 104/107, octane. Made a noticeable difference. Had I known ahead of time I would not have spent $282. for the TORCO booster.
Jerry did say our professional relationship was finished. I guess it took him some time. If anyone remembers last December when I installed the first tune for the DCAI and Jerry's 65mm pulley I did not have boost for a month. That cost me some cash. I did not tell Jerry our relationship was over. I spent around $200. for an IC pump/installation. Along with the assistance of many members of several MB forums.
Point here is that nobody at Eurocharged suggested ANYTHING! It turned out that the TPS read 58% at WOT. This is something I found with a datalog. Contacted Jerry and he said to disconnect the battery cables as that was the procedure to reset the TPS. Well it worked, one month later. I would think Eurocharged would have asked for a datalog long before I did the test myself and saved a lot of sleepless nights and untold phone calls.
Yes, Eurocharged should be more specific on what is a "CUSTOM" tune. I am not even sure they mention a custom tune. I know a shop that would rent me dyno time and Eurocharged could do the tune from their end based upon data that would be sent to them. That would be a custom tune in my mind and worth the $180. or is it $360.? A true custom tune would likely be one of the best result wise "MODS" we could get. I'd be one of the first in line for a tune done that way instead of a canned tune that comes with the pulley package.
After Jerry did the 100 octane tune he told me about the fuel he runs in his twin turbo Lambirgini.
One last thing that has to do with datalogs. Asking tuners about why they do certain things is a NO-NO! I asked why the total timing at light cruise rarely went above 30*. I know the SLK 3.2 motors are different but every other car I have had run in the past would approach 40* at light throttle. Asking that question was like upsetting a hornets nest! I was not questioning anyone's capabilities as far as their tune went, I just wanted to know for knowledge's sake.
I am just guessing here and going by recollection( I don't remember, I don't recall.........meant for jbanks15) when I had no boost I was told there were only 3 "tunes" and that each had been used "1000 times". Common mods, common tunes. No problem with that. However if some parameter falls out of one of the most common tunes does that constitute a custom tune? Here I go, opening myself to trouble by asking a question. :) All in the quest for knowledge, in no way in competition. In fact I would recommend Jerry but I would make clear what parameter makes a tune become "CUSTOM"?

The statement in my previous post is accurate. I got the tune and Jerry told me to NEVER contact him again. Mark

#9 ·
I've never heard of OETuning. Is it OETuning.com? Is tuning all they do? Can they do long distance tuning with my car on a dyno and OE getting logs of what is going on and they take control of the adjustments through my laptop and cable which goes from laptop to OBDII port, that is what I would need next to a tuner and his own dyno doing the work on the spot. That is the problem after the basic mods are done which Euro has canned tunes for. An excellent tune is worth more than the mod itself in many occasions.
Right now I have the car for sale and if I can get what I put into it minus the labor I paid for I think I may move on to something a bit more powerful such as an '87 Buick turbo V6, either a GN or a T-Type. Thanks for the tip. Mark

#12 ·
Well, I've got one more fill of the TORCO and then have to make a decision/ Gas prices are up, paid $3.05 yesterday. Torco adds About .80 per gallon. I cannot find 100 octane around here but it is available in Florida but I am a transplant and don't know my way around here down in SW part of the tare. Daytona is where I am comfortable. It would be nice to be able to adjust some fuel and timing like with the SCT tunes on Mustangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.