Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Reset, plus and minus (r, +, -) and Electronic Engine Oil Level checks don't work

7K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  bac 
#1 ·
I guess spring time is upon us and peeps are beginning to check the post winter Oil Level.

My issue is that the MFD just displays "Observe Waiting Time" - Permanently doesn't matter how long its left to sit. The other issue is that the Reset Plus and Minus Buttons on the Instrument Cluster just don't work... The Service chap said there could be a software update and it might (probably not) get the buttons working again.

I've just popped into the MB Dealership and got it booked in on the 2nd March for a diagnostic to see if they can tell me what is wrong.

I have considered the alternatives which is just to get a Dip stick...

Parts told me that on my R171 200K Auto there are different versions of the Engine and for my engine (M271) there is no Dip Stick - As it has the Electronic Oil Level system.

But there is a workshop tool A2710100372 which you can just use but not leave inside the engine bay and everytime i do check the oil i will need to replace the Red Cap as that is pressurised???
Oops - may have already removed it once ...

And the price wasn't so eye watering... slightly shocked.
A6460100035 - Cover - £3.00
A2710100372 - Oil Dipstick - £12.60

I will update in March as to what they reckon the problem might be with the Engine Oil Level System.

Is the oil system pressurised? removing that red cap seems to have had no effect that I've noticed?

See less See more
#3 ·
#5 ·
#7 ·
Just sayin' :D

#8 ·
#16 ·
#9 ·
send him a pm if you haven't yet. he was on yesterday.

#11 ·
you have to put the check mark in your save sent messages in your usercp under edit your options

#12 ·
I know what your problem is, you aren't using the system correctly to check the oil level via the electronic dipstick. If you don't precisely follow the procedure outline someplace in your MB Owner's Manual, you'll get a warning message. In your case, it is "Observe waiting time."

Actually Mercedes would probably prefer the message to be, "Dummkopf," but that might be bad for PR! LOL!

Try this:

1. Thoroughly warm up the engine. Don't just idle it but take it for a good drive.

2. Bring the vehicle back to a level surface and shut off the engine.

3. Wait three minutes.

4. Then go through the procedure to check the oil.

BTW, to reset the odometer, turn the key to the accessory position or to where the MFD displays then hold down the reset button until the odometer resets.

#14 ·
Actually Mercedes would probably prefer the message to be, "Dummkopf," but that might be bad for PR! LOL!

Try this:

1. Thoroughly warm up the engine. Don't just idle it but take it for a good drive.

2. Bring the vehicle back to a level surface and shut off the engine.

3. Wait three minutes.

4. Then go through the procedure to check the oil.

BTW, to reset the odometer, turn the key to the accessory position or to where the MFD displays then hold down the reset button until the odometer resets.
Observe Waiting Time

I will die before this displays any other message

#13 ·
Is the oil system pressurised? removing that red cap seems to have had no effect that I've noticed?
Not as such - with the pistons wizzing up and down, the pressure in the crankcase increases whilst the engine is running, and as part of pollution control systems the space vents into the inlet system.

If you leave the cap off whilst the engine is running, you might get oil droplets spraying out - as you might if you remove the oil filler cap whilst the engine is running. You won't cause any harm by removing it.

#15 ·
When it says "Observe waiting time," it is saying you didn't follow the proper procedure to check the oil. You have to start over from the beginning of the procedure. Try maybe 5 minutes.

What I think is happening the waiting time is for the oil to drain back into the sump. The sensor won't record the level while the oil is draining.

#17 ·
All fixed!! My thanks to @ademk

Thanks for visiting and helping fix this one.

Turns out that the ribbon cable from the buttons had been caught between the Cluster housing and had pulled it out of the connector receptacle.

a bit of tape and pushing the connector back in
All working again :)

#18 ·
Now on to the Second part of this Thread... The non working Oil Level Check system...

I've Been into MB and i am now £230 poorer...
The problem has not been fixed.

What they did do:

Visual Inspection (I feel this is probably invoice padding)
Replaced the Oil Level Sensor (as this was throwing up a fault on their system)

They suggest:
Carried out inv into oil level reading not display, found stored faults for oil level sensor, replaced sensor, fault still present. Recommend possibly new dash or front SAM unit.

They quoted silly money for a front SAM unit which apparently needs to be coded to to
the car... so it looks like I have no fix for this and the solution is totally disproportionate.
Think I'm going to have to buy the workshop single use dipstick: A2700100372

On the plus side.. I got an oil change.

#19 ·
Thats an expensive list ....

I'd get them to look at the assyst settings and make sure that they're not screwed up ..

Had the same issue on mine, caused by me and a programming session :crying::crying:- managed to rectify it by correcting the assyst / assyst plus settings in DAS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.