Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrical issue with Fuel gauge

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jbanks15 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 SLK230 and removed the instrument cluster to replace some burned out bulbs. Upon re-install everything worked fine except the fuel gauge which simply didn't move. To trouble shoot the issue, I measured resistance at the connections on the fuel sending unit at roughly half full (38 ohms) and full (1 ohm). This seemed to indicate to me that the fuel sending unit was doing the right stuff so I assumed it was the instrument cluster. I replaced the instrument cluster but have the same issue - all gauges in the cluster work except for gas gauge. I don't know the pin-outs on the connector so it's a bit challenging to know how to troubleshoot from here. Does anyone know what the current reading should be at empty or full from the sending unit? Anyone know what pins on the instrument cluster would go to the fuel gauge? I welcome any advice on how to find the source of the problem.

Marlon

#2 ·
Marlon,

I have no experience of this with a SLK, but writing from general experience, I think the following things need checking :

. That all wires are seated properly in the connectors. Check that there's not one that's pulled out completely and is hidden inside the dash.

. That none of the wires has broken or pulled loose somewhere away from the cluster.

. That the connectors are clean and properly fitted. Ensure that none of the blades (or whatever constitutes the connectors) are bent.

I doubt that it's the sender, since all was OK until you disconnected the cluster; but of course the process may have caused damage if the system hadn't, for some reason, completely shut off power.

Anthony

#6 ·
Can someone describe or post a picture of where you can access the plug for the fuel guage....Exact same thing happened to my brother in his `98.

#7 ·
You can access the fuel sending unit from the trunk quite easily. The retractable cover in the trunk that must be extended for the roof to go down needs to be removed. It is held on by two bolts. If you remove those bolts with a 10 mm (I believe) socket then the whole piece will pull out. Then you need to remove the carpet piece that sits behind the retractable cover. there are two additional nuts that must be removed (they sit in the trunk below the rear windshield). Once those two nuts are removed, you can pull out that piece of carpet. You will then be staring at the top of the fuel tank and the top of the fuel sending unit will be staring you in the face. There are two connectors. The one on the left at you are looking at it is the one I measured the resistance between at full and empty tank. If you have more questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Marlon

#8 · (Edited)
Hi, guys!

I have some problems with my gauge cluster. When i bought car (VIN WDB1704471F013431), there was gauge cluster from non cruise control version (my car have it).
I bought 170 540 23 11. When i pluged-in it, fuel arrow lived with it own life :) But there is no problem with it on non-cruise version.
What reason can be?

Soz for my eng ;)

#9 ·
Div,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your vehicle (year,ie 2007) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘vehicle’. Your profile is NOT updated in your ‘personal garage’.

We want to welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.