Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help - R170 will not start

6K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  etyu 
#1 ·
My SLK, which has never given me a problem, will not start.

When I turn the key, there is a loud clicking noise at about twice per second and any warning lights dim in sympathy with the clicks.

Any thoughts?

The car hasn't been used for about 6 weeks and was last started a couple of weeks ago.

Many thanks

John

#2 ·
How old is the car battery?

#4 ·
Do you know if the previous owner ever had to replace the battery? My guess would be a daft car battery.

Reactions: jst_at_home
#6 ·
Do you have a voltmeter?

Reactions: jst_at_home
#8 ·
Thanks everyone. I believe the problem is with the charge in the battery, or lack of. After 2 hours on charge, car started.

Left on charge overnight, I will give the car a good run today.

I think this is about my having become complacent after a few years of mild winters. Certainly last winter and the one before I took the car out most weekends.

With the snow in the UK over the past two months and my 2 week holiday in between, I've neglected my SLK.

John

#9 ·
slk batteries last only 2 years. i have had 3 slks, and like clockwork, every 2 years, i have had to replace the battery

#12 ·
I just use one of THESE from Halfords. (I use them on the bikes also). They do not need to have a high power output, as you are not charging a flat battery, you are just keeping it topped up, and powering the clock, alarm and anything else that is continually powered, which just draw milliamps. As long as you get an 'intelligent' tender like the Optimate or the Halfords ones I use, you won't have any problems.

#16 ·
You got to be getting pretty close to the end on that thing. The MB battery in my 560SL died after eight years which is pretty darn good I thought. Do you replace batteries after so many years or do you just wait for them to conk out? With my Mercedes Roadside Service experience on my 560SL last spring, I may just wait, although once I get to eight years, I might decide it's time. :)

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.