Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MidWest Meet Oct 11th 2014 The Hocking Hills

4K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  boostmonkey 
#1 · (Edited)
The fall meet for this year will be here in Ohio on Oct 11th, the area of interest will be the Hocking Hills and the surrounding areas. As we start building this meet, this first post will be edited a number to times to include the hotel information, restaurants, events during the day, and travel information. I will be working with Rodd Masteller from the Mercedes Benz Club of America Central Ohio Section (www.mbcacos.org). In my last conversation with him, he seemed interested in making this a joint effort so as to have more vehicles. This should make the meet very interesting with some of the other Mercedes mixed in. They understand we want to do the Twisty Road thing, so we may split off from the some of the larger group to do so. There are some fun roads down in that area.

So as this post continues to change and become more defined I hope everyone is patient and will start signing up. If the leaves start changing down there in that time frame, it could be a beautiful place to be! Hope to see you all there! Lets have a big MidWest SLK showing. Please start posting in this thread to let me know if you're planning on coming, and how many!

http://www.hockinghills.com/

Attending:
Fastdawg1 +1
Kuratsunade
boostmonkey
Gmonslk
Goldstartaxidriver

See less See more
#3 ·
Dawg, you know I'll be there.

Not sure the exact plan yet, we may come and go as we did with the Indy one.

And good news, the car is in the shop for bumper and dent work. It is in the trusted hands.

Bad news is, it is going to run me about $3000.

Reactions: fastdawg1
#7 ·
Sounds good boost, I'll check that out. Glad to have you!

kuratsunade, it's always a pleasure, glad you're throwing in with us!

Gmonslk, it wouldn't be a meet without you!

Bear in mind, we will probably be working this meet along side the MBCACOS, so we will have a mixture of cars at the meet, but as far as the course goes, the other mercedes are welcome to bring up the back end. We'll work that out with Rodd from their/my group. I belong that that association too, but my primary responsibility is to our slkworld.com group. I should be having a meeting with Rodd fairly soon.

#6 ·
boostmonkey,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (year,ie 2007) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t.
Update: ‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Your profile is NOT updated in your ‘garage’.

Then don’t be shy, we don’t bite. We want to welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

#10 ·
May have to crash your party and attend. That is a beautiful area, been there many times on the motorcycle. I still have a house in the Dayton area, that my daughter and her family are in right now, gives me an excuse to visit.

Can't commit until the time gets closer, due to work travel requirements.

#12 ·
The Car and Driver test loop looks to be pretty curvy, which for our cars works just nicely. The drive getting into there is also nice too, but I'll have to test it out in the next week or so. Here's the link to the map:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.439738,-82.530626/39.439717,-82.530714/@39.430094,-82.521057,13z/data=!4m16!4m15!1m11!3m4!1m2!1d-82.531199!2d39.438636!3s0x8847eaee0707ed85:0xb96a54648fd58c3f!3m4!1m2!1d-82.541142!2d39.435145!3s0x8847eac02aac2c65:0x500f5dde15c30771!4e1!1m1!4e1!3e0?hl=en

#14 ·
Hocking Hills Meet-Up

We are planning to attend. We've been there many times and always loved it. We are probably going to get a room the night before.
As a side note: On the 18th we plan to host our annual cider making get-together. Typically we invite our Goldwing friends, the local Blue Knights Chapter, and friends from church. This year we'd like to include the SLK Group as well. Usually an all day affair, but you'd be free to come & go as you please Note: this does involve manual labor, no cider to take home if you don't help (at least a little bit).
We have some nice roads around here, covered bridges etc. I also have a route that I made up for motorcycles that is great in the SLK.
Let me know if interested.

DaveB

#21 ·
October 11th is coming up fast! We need to arrange the details on this meet.

Here is a nice little route I planned:

http://goo.gl/maps/x9jYr

We could meet at the Hocking Hills Visitors Center on rt 664 right off the highway. The parking area is not that large, but it is easy to get to and is the gateway to some great roads and scenery. For reasons that will make sense later, I propose we meet at the Visitors Center no later than 9:45am Saturday morning, and roll out at 10:00.

After introductions we would head south on rt 664. It doesn't take long for the fun to begin.

When we reach rt 374 we would turn left (south). This will take us past the Inn at Cedar Falls and begins the Car and Driver Test Loop.

About 20 minutes out from the visitors center, we should pause at the Ash Cave park. This will give us a chance to get the group back together in case cars got between us, and change procession order if desired.

Departing Ash Cave we continue south briefly on 374 until we come to rt 56. We turn right on rt 56 (west) and the fun continues.

When we reach South Bloomingville we turn right (northeast) on rt 664. which takes us back to 374, but when we reach 374 we don't immediately turn right and complete the 12 mile Car & Driver Test Loop, we turn left (north) and enjoy a fun section of 374.

We pause at the Rock House state park at the end of segment 2 after another 21 minutes of driving to regroup again and to give your arms a short respite.

The third segment will have us continue on 374 which will join up with 180. When they split, follow the sign for 180 which intersects 678 shortly after.

We turn right (south) on 678 which will loop us back around to 374.

We turn left on 374 and repeat 4 miles of the section we came up previously.

THIS TIME when we return to the 664 & 374 intersection, we turn left (east) on the combined rt 374 & 664 and complete the final segment of the Car and Driver loop. We can call this extended version the Car and Mercedes Driver Test Loop.

When they split 2 miles later, we turn right (south) on 374 and head about 1 mile back down to the end of our 28-minute 3rd segment at the Inn and Cedar Falls Restaurant, which has a limited, but delicious menu. We should probably make reservations.

As before, the Inn and Restaurant will be on the left side of the road, but the parking is on the right.

Our total drive time will be approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes. With the stops at the end of segment 1 and segment 2, we should arrive at the Inn at Cedar Falls right around 11:30, which is when they begin serving lunch. ;) We can talk about our glorious 45 mile drive and exciting cars while relaxing over a nice lunch (alcoholic beverages available).

After lunch, there are MANY trails to hike, sites to see, and parks to visit if anyone wants to walk off their meal.

I think this drive will be most enjoyable if we let it be "spirited" but not "qualifying lap". We will want to exercise the performance of our Mercedes Benzes, but please keep it safe. Please keep your car on your side of the center line at all times. Do not push it too hard in attempt to stay with the car in front on you. That is why we have the meetup points at the end of the segments. Save the racing for the race course. We should arrange the more spirited drivers/cars toward the front and the more cruise oriented drivers/cars following though.

#22 ·
Its a nice thought but this meet isn't going to happen unfortunately, the MBCOA, in particular the central Ohio Branch couldn't drum up any people with interest, which surprised me. Our own interest was pretty low too. I figure that we'll try to put something together for the spring as we were very successful with that earlier this year. Sorry to disappoint, but we knew it might be a stretch doing 2 in the midwest in one year. We could more informally see who would like to meet up in central Ohio on a nice fall day though, something less formal than we did in the spring. I'm open for that. Maybe meeting for lunch in Columbus or in the Hocking Hills on a Saturday. Anyone?

#27 ·
Bella is in the shop for a rear lift [new lights] repairs and minor maintenance. That and I just got done moving. I'm a day late and a dollar short on this, but spring is just around the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.