Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

i just bought my first mercedes today

4K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  0LDHTCH 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2007 slk 280 mercedes benz from a private seller today. When i first started it, there was some white smoke that came out of the exhaust. When i started it again, nothing came out. What does this mean? Should i have bought it. The guy i bought it from said it was sitting for about 2 weeks and it was from condensation. I took a test drive and it rode great, except it said requires schedule c maintence. What is that. Also i bought it off him for 24,000 even in cash, was that a good price. Its and automatic and has 37000 miles. Thanks

From Matt

#3 ·
Welcome Matt and congratulations on the 2007 SLK 280.

White smoke usually means condensation especially if it disappears with engine at operating temperature.

If you get the chance, do update your profile under User CP to include your location (City, State or Province). This helps others answer your questions as there are differences between countries and regions.

Do a search (advanced search works OK) in this forum on the the different letter designation for maintenance. Did you get the Owner's Manual and the Maintenance Booklet from the seller?

#6 ·
Thanks for updating your profile.

Hard to say on the price as it all depends on the options that came with the car e.g., Bi-Xenon headlamps, AMG body style, COMAND with Sat/Nav, Harmon-Kardon sound system, AirScarf, premium packages, and the like.

Edmunds.com may be a good place to get a ball park figure.

Schedule C includes: Cabin Air Filter change (search DIY section in this forum), oil and filter change, and a bunch of inspection points to do. It's basically a Service B (longer service) + Cabin Air Filter replacement.

You may want to join some forum members going for a little spin and get together this coming weekend. It's a great place to meet people, make new friends and get practical information.

#7 ·
Welcome from AZ. I've also noticed white smoke on occasion. You can see my thread here
http://www.slkworld.com/ask-dansslk/10839-smoke-out-exhaust.html

I did take the suggestion mentioned and drive in manual shift mode a few times and haven't had smoke since.

Should be nothing to worry about, but monitor your oil as you should be doing anyway.

Do the cabin filter yourself and save some $$. It's fairly simple if you comfortable with it.

Congratulations and welcome!:)

#15 ·
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for hosting and licensing fees to the site. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

#19 ·
Had white smoke too on a couple of occasions but went away almost immediately. No problems and haven't seen since. Think because car is in the garage and not driven for 5 days.......have another car for rough traffic trips. Have just over 14,000 mi on my 2006 and service C due.....local dealer charge is $199.

#24 ·
Welcome,

Check your water level also. As someone else mentioned white smoke can be coolant which is often a head gasket. I haven't heard of many MB head gasket problems.

I drive my SLK in the winter. I try to stay out of icy conditions. I drive a 4 wheel drive vehicle during icy conditions.

Strong brakes, wide tires and good power aren't a good mix on slick roads even with the winter mode on the transmission.

#25 ·
Howdy Folks - I have downloaded a handbook in PDF format for my 2006 SLK 280 but still feel like I'm getting into the TARDIS. There are features to the car that I am either not (or ever was) wired for, OR, there are things I don't know to get these features to work.

One is the telephone. If I have Bluetooth on my cell, are there additional mechanisms that I need to address inside the vehicle? It just gives me a message that says 'no phone'.

Second is the navigation system. I'm pretty sure there isn't one or I'd have figured it out by now but when I look at the actual computer screen mid-dash, I can see where it was meant to do a LOT more than just show radio stations.

Third, the manual says it will synchronize to your garage door opener. I am thinking this is also a case of some hardware (a MB remote) that shouldve come with the vehicle? I tried for about an hour last night a couldn't get that to work either.

Sorry for the issue-dump, but if anyone knows it'll be you folks.

HAPPY FRIDAY.

Will

#26 ·
A. Telephone/Bluetooth issue: Check the upper compartment of the center console storage (between the seats). In the 2006 model, the upper compartment can swing to the left or right, after pressing in one of the release buttons. Do you have a MHI bluetooth puck installed?

B. Nav system: Perhaps give us a photo of what you have. Is it COMAND? with the 3x5.5 inch screen? Do you have the DVD/Nav in the trunk compartment?

C. Garage Door Opener: Do you have this installed on the upper cockpit console near the cabin rear view mirror just forward to the SOS cover? It will have 3 rectangular buttons with nos 1,2 and 3 label on the buttons. You may have to clear some old programming in order to sync with what you have. There is a DIY on this in this forum.

#27 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.