Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Free Windshields! (Sorry, Florida Only)

6K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  jbanks15 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Got tired of all my chips so since Florida says you can get a replacement through your insurance company, it was time.

What states have free windshield replacement?

There are only a few states in the US that waive the deductible for windshield replacements or repairs as a part of comprehensive coverage. The states of Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts and South Carolina waive the deductible and thus are referred to by some as zero deductible states with regards to windshield claims. Thus without needing to pay a deductible you can call this a "free" windshield replacement.

In these states your insurance company is required by law to repair or replace your windshield with no deductible charged—as long as you have comprehensive insurance on your vehicle. Florida and Massachusetts only fully cover windshields, but Kentucky and South Carolina cover all glass replacement with no deductible.

Safelite AutoGlass will replace the WINDSHIELD for your 2009 MERCEDES BENZ SLK55 AMG 2 DOOR CONVERTIBLE.

The estimated time for the work to be completed is 90 minutes to 2 hours.

Please keep in mind that you have a $500 deductible on this vehicle, as long as the only glass damaged is the windshield your deductible does not apply for this claim.

so all you floridians that did not know this and have chips, contact your insurance company and get something for nuthin! you are allowed one windshield per year believe it or nut!

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
Look for the OEM mark in the glass though, most glass shops don't source the OEM for insurance work (or at all) even if you specify it. FYI, non OEMs have the wiper sensor cutouts and the 'mercedes' sticker too...but of course no OEM mark in the glass itself. In my other benz, the OEM glass is $900, PPG was going to be $300. I had to check 3 shops to find one that would source the original SEKURIT glass.

#3 ·
yes i specified mb oem when i made the appointment and even got the new mb sticker for the windshield plus the rainsensor stuff

#5 ·
once a year they tell me provided you convince them the chips or cracks block your vision

#8 ·
I remember several years ago I was having my windshield replaced. The service guy told me that if the crack had been bigger, he can have my insurance cover the deductible so it wouldn't cost me a thing. However, it wasn't that big yet, so he said if I wanted to I can, uhm, make it bigger so that it'd qualify. I declined.

#9 · (Edited)
I had a Ford Cougar (Mercury Cougar for our American friends) and I read a number of Horror stories over the owner forums about the problems getting it replaced, it was bonded to the body work and a lot of the 'we replace your windscreen in your drive' companies made a huge mess of the job, a couple guys had their paint work ruined

One guy had 5 before he got one that worked (one of the options is a heated windscreen).

Should I ever need to get mine replaced I'll be going to a MB dealership, I checked my insurance will pay for that.
________
Yamaha TTR250

#11 ·
they don't use daimler anymore, it jusy say mercedes.

Attachments

#14 ·
i guess i got me an free $499 oem windshield then. here is picture, same oem mark as side glass.

Attachments

#16 ·
AWESOME! Just wanted to make sure everyone is checking when they get their glass in! :biglaugh:

However, Insurance Fraud :td::td: just in case you are thinking of 'finding some cracks' yourself.

Reactions: JiminFL
#15 ·
Yeah I always thought you did because I knew you wanted the OEM. I just know to be careful on my end when I get mine done like you were.

NO damage whatsoever to the area around the windshield either right? I have to say it's pretty impressive these windshield swaps.

#17 ·
appreciate all the input! good points cyber! amazing how they put it in and secure it. no damage. the picture i uploaded looked like there was at the bottom but there isn't any. that was light reflection from the camera flash.

#18 ·
I have never seen those stickers that are not a full square, even for the Mercedes one.

I prefer the Daimler signature, seems more old-school and personal.

However, I will have to do something sometime, I have a lot of little pits in the windshield that I have no idea where they came from, but they are all over. The could not be rocks as the dealer suggests, as I would have chips everywhere, and I certainly would remember that many hitting the windshield.

#20 ·
Nope, they've changed all the new cars to the 'mercedes' sticker. most of the new cars have the cut out style on the glass, rather than the square. Looks a lot nicer.

#23 ·
Yes, there's an optional sensor that goes just above the light sensor by the rearview mirror. Your glass has to have the cutout in the 'blackout' section for the option though.

#24 ·
racercub68,

you should at least dial up your insurance provider and see how easy it is to replace. they may ask you the size and location of chips/cracks, but no one is going to question you if you 'stretch' the truth or location. and when the guy comes out to replace it, they don't care, they get their money regardless. you must have full cpmprehesive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.