Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brake bias

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Dolau 
#1 ·
As you know all my spianners are left handed :burnout:

I noticed after all the rain we have been having over here that my front brake discs were dice and shiny but the rear ones were dull and sometimes a little rusty

Took it to my friendly mechanic who says that the SiLK has a brake bias so that the rear brake effect is reduced to stop rear end braking away?

My brakes stop me fine and I have confidence in my brake system.... And my mechanic just seems odd to me

First. Thing in the morning when the beast is on choke and rearing to be away the brakes groan to stop the car as I put it in gear

I also have a c class 200 kompressor which is much gentler under choke in the morning which is a happy coincidence for wifey who is a timid driver

#3 ·
afraid so I drive lots of different cars at work and all Mercedes make that groaning noise from the brakes when putting it in drive or reverse its just a characteristic of the make if its any help old jags (1970,s - 1980,s ) are worse in that when you put them in drive and there on choke you get half a revolution of rear wheel spin when you put them in drive or reverse (and they smell off wee and old people )

#4 ·
Thanks BB- that is reassuring... must change end of drive from gravel to paviours as the beastie is eager to be away these cold mornings

Starnge that the C class is a completely different animal and much gentler (also a 200Kompressor?)

#5 ·
Many cars seem to have brake bias set such that the rears hardly work at all.

My previous SAAB 9-3 was so bad that the rear disks had to be changed because they were badly corroded through disuse, while the fronts were perfect.

You have to occasionally brake REALLY hard to make the rears work properly. When there's no-one else around and you're travelling in a straight line, brake hard, then hammer on the brake pedal as fast as you can, to make the brake assist kick in. Do it a few times. That should do it.

A friend of mine who's a former rally driver has a knack for cleaning the rear disks. He takes the car out for 5 minutes. On his return, the rear disks are gleaming, but the front disks have melted, the tread's disappeared from all the tyres and the engine's thrown a rod :)

#6 ·
AJ- sounds advice- I will try that- my maintenance bills arent high enough yet!

I was think of slipping the hand brake on now and again just to keep them gleaming- cant do that on the C class as it has one of those new fangled foot - hand brake and a knob to pull to get it off.

Strangely the C class doesnt have this problem

#9 ·
The C class is a lot heavier in the back end, so the brakes work harder and keep themselves clean.
That being said, my rear discs don't have any rust on them at all and a recent change of the brake pads show the same amount of wear on the rear pads as on the fronts. Perhaps you don't drive it aggressively enough:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.