Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roasted a boxster with style.

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  unitfreebie 
#1 ·
This has got to be one of my best kills yet.

Went out to the local Fiero club meeting tonight. On the way home I was enjoying the weather. About 18-20C, no wind, clear skies. Sun is setting in about an hour. PERFECT for cruising.

When I got home I asked my wife if she wanted to go for a cruise. Eager for a break from work (She's a safety consultant..... never really has free time these days) she accepts. GREAT! :) Nothing better than cruising in a hot car with the top down with a hot babe in the passenger seat on a perfect night. :)

We live on a secondary highway so I've got about 20km to cruise down to fully warm the car up before we hit a primary highway. Get all the way down to Hwy 2a (No, I don't expect most of you to know where that is :)...I'ma jus' sayin') and turn off. Ready to take a nice cruise into town to get a coffee or shake or...well whatever.

Unfortunately they had the highway blocked off and detoured due to an accident. So we turned off on another secondary highway that leads to Hwy 2 (That's pretty much the biggest highway in Alberta. 110km speed limit, 2-3lanes fo 400km or better). So off to Highway 2 we go.

Just as we approach the exit I notice a Porsche Boxster pulling onto the same exit coming from the opposite direction. I look at my wife and smile. "You think he'll race?" I say. My wife looks at me with an approving smile and says "Only one way to find out". So I step into it....

The exit does an S-curve before it merges onto the highway so as I accelerated I can hear him step on it through the curve and I keep up. I'm fairly sure the boxster probably has better handling than this car but I managed to catch up to him and get within a 4 or 5 car lengths before we got onto the merge lane.

As he straightened out I hear him gear down and go. I'm already on the throttle and I'm catching up quick. A quick mirror check and no cars to merge with on the highway so we both have 2 lanes wide open to let loose......GAME ON!

By the time we get onto the highway I've pulled out into the fast lane and my front bumper is at his door. He doesn't have a chance, but he's still going. We kept going until I saw traffic up ahead and let off. We were doing about 180 or so and I had at least 6 car lengths on him. When I pulled into the right lane he passed by. I looked over.... no wave.... no smile.... no thumbs up.... he wouldn't even look. :( Too bad.

I looked over at my wife and she was all buttons and smiles :). Then we headed into Leduc for a coffee.

See less See more
#3 ·
Cool....

.....but an SLK-350 can beat a Porsche Boxster, and an SLK-280 can probably almost beat it. Did he really think he could beat you? Doesn't know his cars too well me thinks.....

Cheers!

Dang

P.S.
So you were doing 180kph with a "safety consultant" in the passenger seat. There's probably some irony there no?

#4 ·
Don't get me started on my "safety consultant wife". I don't want to get divorced with the stories of hypocrisy. :)

As far as which car can beat which.... I had no idea I could beat a boxster...now I do :) He probably had no idea a mercedes could beat his boxster... now he does. :)

#8 ·
Nice one!
One of the things I like about the SLK is how people underestimate them. I told a friend (who likes to race his cars and bikes) that I was thinking of getting one. He said I should just get a Boxster instead, but if I do get an SLK, then I should just not go racing with Boxsters. Well, I wasn't interested in racing against anyone, but his statement made me curious, so I checked. After all that I've read, I'm thinking that a 350 could keep up with a Boxster pretty easily.

#9 ·
Well, if I do not get clobbered by the other half, we will have some direct comparison. August 8th is a night track (full road course) day with the Porsche Club of America's Gulf Coast region and I hope to be there with the SLK350.

It's on it's way to Motronix first to get the stock brake fluid replaced with high temp race fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.