Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wet headlights not so easy to fix

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  raymond.harper 
#1 ·
It has been wet here lately but my headlights on my recently acquires SLK seemed to be raining on the inside.

so it was time to tackle the problem. Read the sticky and thought it was straightforward. Got the headlight unit loose but it would not come away from the car due to a purple pipe which was still holding it in.

In the end I had to cut it off to get the light out as I wanted to dry out the unit. The pipe was part of the headlight adjustment not essential by any means but it proved a major problem. Problem came when I tried to reattach the purple pipe. No matter what I tried I could not reconnect it to the unit. I tried using heat and brute force but it was a losing battle . Instead I got some silicone piping from Ebay ( where else ) the same colour / color with an internal diameter of 3mms which works well . Put the whole thing back together and pleased to say my headlights are dry once more

See less See more
#2 ·
Great you could find a replacement hose! See this gray connector the purple pipe connects to? These are usually used for vacuum lines like door vacuum locks, air flap actuator, etc. This gray connector usually pops off with the help of a flat head screwdriver. Don't try to disconnect the hose itself from the connector. That seems impossible. However this hose is sold by a meter. I don't remember the exact part # but if you want I can look it up for you.
Now, a general question - again, why does your headlight have this vacuum line?

#4 ·
This is useful information to know. I didn't know UK cars have the adjustment function. I know these connectors might be tricky and hard to remove. From my experience: just be careful if you have to mess with them next time.:Beer:

#6 ·
That's nice! I actually had it on my old VW Golf. I was like: why does it have headlight level adjustment but not power steering wheel or hydraulic clutch?! =) Thank you for sharing! I also saw that some of R170's come with side-view folding mirrors. Was looking for motors and switches but couldn't find any. Never seen it on US models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.