Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rear tires for slk55

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  themizz039 
#1 ·
Hi
I'm going to be needing rear tires soon for my 06 SLK55. I currently have Pirelli P-ZERO, 18 inch. I bought my car about 5 months ago and the car only has 5700 miles. I think the previous owner liked to smoke the tires because the fronts show minimal wear. I'm looking for good traction, long wear and not having to spend big bucks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
What tire size are you looking at? OEM 245/35 R 18 or non-OEM 255/35 R 18?

I have the latter when I had to replace the rear tires (OEM lasted roughly 10K miles before going to 2/32 tread depth), Goodyear F1 Eagle asymmetric, roughly $250 each including mounting, balance and road hazard. treadwear at 240, a tad better than 220 on the rear Pirelli P-Zero Nero. Goodyear have good traction, cost less than Michellin PS2.

IIRC, other members have tried Yokohama S.drive.

#3 ·
Go check out tirerack.com Read the reviews on the Pirelli P-zero Rosso (that I believe are OEM for this car) and you'll see that they aren't rated highly for treadwear. Lots of great reviews there that should point you to some better options.

Eddy, you have/had PZero Nero on yours? Maybe that was a change for the '08?

#4 ·
I replaced my OEM ContiSportContact 3's with Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's and couldn't be happier. The tire tread is what originally caught my eye but after reading reviews I decided to make the decision. I upgraded my factory wheels to 19's and paid around $160 per tire which is alot cheaper than the Conti's. Tire is much better in wet and dry conditions and allow me to "launch" the car with alot less wheel spin. I also feel like there is much less road noise. Here is one of the reviews I read http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Ultrac-Sessanta.htm. Also here are some pics of the rear of my car with the tread visible so you can get an idea on how they look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.