Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How To Fix Center Console?: Pic Included

37K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  SoCalBeachRunner 
#1 ·
My center console lid has come off. It does not seem broken. It is just unattached. How do I re-attach it? I have included pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
i am familiar with it as my 05 slk 350 had the issue. just want to make sure yours is attached with the springs?

it snaps in and then u have to whack the back. do you see the spring area? maybe take another pic from another angle

#3 ·
#4 ·
yes, that was my same issue. see that piece sticking out in the 3rd pic? you have to fit that in where it goes for both of those pieces (one on the other side) and then whack it at the rear and it will reseat

#5 ·
2nd pic on the left side shows the spring assembly

#7 ·
Takes practice. And patience. Bend the springs in like where they want to be and get them in position. Push down at the spring location. It takes a while to learn the whack a mole!!

#9 ·
Congrats! Welcome to whack a cover graduation!!!

#12 ·
Except my console top is still attached on the passengers side. When I go to close it, the slider on the driver side sticks out. Any help on this? I'm new to the forum, as I've just purchased my first SLK. This is an annoying little problem!!! :mad:

This is what AJ9079 & I did after reading all Jeffs (and others) advice.

Tuck the offending slider(s) under as you close the lid making sure the lid is central when closed (the slider will slide on its base as you close the lid) and then give the lid a good sharp smack down at the back of the lid on the offending slider side.
This will locate the rear pin.

Worked for me after nothing else did.:tu:

#11 ·
Miles,
Unfortunately, in return for the joy of getting to drive these wonderful machines, our German friends have provided us with a few little annoying quirks. The center console you have found. The "cupholder" is another one, otherwise known as the "I want to destroy my headunit" module. Then there's the ""you better know your headlight switch settings by heart, because you sure can't see it" one. Let's see - then there's the "you can't get into your car to jump off a dead battery without compromising the window seals" feature. The "eye poker" radio antenna is also standard equipment. The "we can't understand why you would want a glove compartment, so that's where we put the CD Changer" is optional.

And I'm sure that there are more. The good news is that they won't matter a hill of beans compared to the complete joy of taking your SLK through a set of S curves in the mountains.

Welcome to the forum.

#13 ·
Having a similar problem..after the Mrs got a little overzealous opening the bottom (pulling up) then slamming it down while trying to open it sideways..

http://www.slkworld.com/new-members.../24627-center-console-lid-problem-solved.html

this is another informative link..

As above, one lift spring is extended (the other is now broken btw) however the opening slider/buttons appears to be jammed in from the driver side and the rear hinge pin on the driver's side is extended and fixed (the forward pin is spring loaded out but will move).

So JB...am I all set to whack a mole (assuming I get the lift arm tucked in)?

#14 ·
Yup! Whack a mole it is unless you get the whole bottom of the console replaced

#16 ·
cover part 70

Attachments

#17 ·
#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK, so an amazing coincidence happened....this very problem happened to me today on my drive home from work. The thing wouldn't close and it was loose in the front on the side that was still "connected".

1. On the underside about 2 inches or so from the back there are two plastic clothespin looking things on springs. When you try to close the lid, they stick out about 3/4 of a inch. These must be leveraged inwards and have resting on a platform (same thickness as the pins, about 1/2 inch thick and with raised edges).

2. Just behind that are what amounts to ball joints that the lid must snap into. You need to give it some force, and the lid must be exactly aligned in order for it to work. Perform step one and then press downwards, not with a whack but when a steady force like you are putting on a tight pair of shoes without untying the laces.

3. The front should also be aligned so to speak. Instead of the ball joints there are just little felt looking hooks, about 1/3 inch radius that have to go around the plastic latches on the lid (it's not actually felt. I know the name of it but I can't think of it right now. It is what they use to line boxes. It is like a spray on felt stuff.) This requires almost no force.

Sorry I have no pictures, but I got the thing back together successfully after about 2 minutes of fooling with it.

Edit: PICTURE! (Color coded, first do red, then green then blue)

Attachments

#19 ·
Thanks...your explanation parallels those of JB et al.

However in my case the release buttons (they shuttle to either side to let the lid tip) seem to be jammed inwards - they move somewhat but not like they should. It would seem to me that something has gone over-center and is now jamming.

Has anyone ever gutted one of these?

#20 ·
I remember feeling as though mine were the doing the same thing. Try holding your index fingers over each of the buttons, and try to depress each one and see if it makes the other one move out some. I believe this should be the least of your issues, b/c they might pop back out when they close around the "felt covered" hook arms in the console tray.

#21 ·
I did just that (thinking they must be somehow interconnected, but clearly not on a solid shaft; they are both depressed, the left side more so).

The lid is now fully down, but the buttons have not released. That said, in my case, one of the lift wings/levers snapped with the initial damage/misuse (and for pete's sake don't say that to Cath! I used the word broken twice in the same day and ... you don't want to know...)

#23 ·
Glad it is sorted!!!! save that link just in case

#24 ·
My lid started getting finicky a few months ago. Got the car back today after it was in someone else's hands and the lid was not closing, then it sort of popped off as I was wrangling with it to try and get it back on.

The passenger-side black plastic flapper at the rear of the lid was protruding from its hole a little bit, not snug like the driver-side flap, and it wouldn't slide all the way back in. So, I pulled it out and it slid right out. Oops!

Turns out there's an alignment slot in the hole that matches a tab on the flapper shaft. It doesn't appear to be broken. In fact, it seems the way this thing works is some contraption of sliding, interlocking, spring loaded latches internally. But now the internal spring needs to be at least partially rotated and held in place before the flapper shaft is reinserted, other wise it has very little tension, far from the rat trap power that's normal for these things.

Am I going to be the first one to tear into this seemingly un-openable gadget? Please tell me someone has a procedure for this. From the WIS diagram it's apparently not a user serviceable part.

The lid's cover seems to be magically held in place though there's plenty of pry room at the sides. Must be strong clips or glue or both holding the leatherette cover on at secret attachment points?

Attachments

#25 ·
#27 ·
I'm confused.

I don't see any way to open mine SIDEways. It only opens up front to back.

And the front-side buttons that seem to be there on these pictures you guys posted is just a 'hole' of sorts for me, and to open it, I basically have to rip it open. I always wondered why it wasn't a button of sorts to unhitch the latches...

Are there different versions or am I breaking mine constantly ?

#28 ·
Beguiling Beauty!

I too am one of those with the "lid issue". Mine opens up and down and side to side with the usual percussive persuasion but something is broken inside the lid. When I open sideways from the driver's side it is not located because the hinge peg has gone ... somewhere and it kinda just hangs there. When opened from the passenger side all is "normal".

I know I could fix this if I could get inside the lid itself without destroying it but all attempts have failed. I also know I would do a better job than the original and it would last forever but alas! If I bought a new one £££! I would open the old one in whatever way possible and then figure out how to open it without irreparable damage and and set about making a new mechanism.

Mercedes Benz have a reputation in certain quarters of being the world's premium car manufacturer. We on the other hand know better. Our particular model has been and is plagued with problems caused by bad engineering or even lack of it and poor quality control. Balance shaft sprockets, high oil consumption, leaking roofs, creaking roofs, gearbox conductor plates, fuel covers that cannot be opened, rip-off main dealer charges etc, etc.

However, we love these cars. I think mine is so beautiful that sometimes I go outside and just gaze at it. Suckers for a pretty face or what ... ?:wink:

#29 ·
Man vs Console. Console wins (for now).

I inserted a 4"/144mm joint knife/spatula between the lid's leatherette cover and the black plastic lid "chassis" on each of the four sides and pried relentlessly until I eventually bent the spatula. The lid cover simply would not budge.

Having made no progress whatsoever with prying I resorted to fixing it without opening it. Through an amazing stroke of luck and patience I managed to use a dental tool to re-align the internal spring through which the flapper's shaft passes and re-installed the flapper.

At least it was easier to reattach the lid to the center console using my newfound familiarity with the external workings. But the internals remain mostly a mystery. I was able to see what appear to be a pair of pinions running parallel to the flapper's shaft.

One slight gain is that all the man handling and pressing seems to have redistributed some internal lubricant or something because the buttons work more easily than before.

If I ever see one of these on eBay for less than $50 US I might get it just to dissect and solve one of the greatest of all SLK mysteries. Discovery Channel or National Geographic Channel could do an episode on this contraption. I heard MB outsources the assembly to the Bermuda Triangle where it's performed by extraterrestrials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.